drilling vessels

Aristo
12th October 2006, 10:30
In the 1970s a number of cargo ships were converted to drilling vessels, among them were the Canmar Explorer IV and the Hurricane.
I am looking for information on their story. All I know is that they were originally built as C1-type cargo ships for the US Maritime Commission. Canmar Explorer IV was the former Snakehead and Hurricane was completed as Tag Knot.
Can anyone add to this?

gdynia
12th October 2006, 13:23
In the 1970s a number of cargo ships were converted to drilling vessels, among them were the Canmar Explorer IV and the Hurricane.
I am looking for information on their story. All I know is that they were originally built as C1-type cargo ships for the US Maritime Commission. Canmar Explorer IV was the former Snakehead and Hurricane was completed as Tag Knot.
Can anyone add to this?

Aristo

Canmar Explorer IV was launched by Pennsylvania Shipyards in December 1945 as the Single Hitch, her hull number was 370 with Navy Type C1-M-AV8 and Pennant number 2759. She was sold in 1969 and converted to a Drill ship called Dalamahoy before becoming Canmar Explorer IV.There is no mention in our computer onboard of her having the name Snakehead.

gdynia
12th October 2006, 13:47
Aristo

The only info I have on the Tag Knot C1-M-AV1 is as follows she was built by Bruswicks and launched in September 1945. Her Hull number was 200 and she was operated by American Export Lines until she was scuttled in 1965 with a cargo of obsolete ammo. If this is the same vessel she was never called Hurricane or a Drill Ship.

Aristo
12th October 2006, 14:59
Thanks for the info Gdynia. You are right on the Hurricane. Her original name was Mooring Hitch and she was built by Brunswicks. She was sold for private use in 1972 and converted into the drill ship Hurricane. Her fate is also unavailable.

gdynia
12th October 2006, 15:38
Aristo

A little bit more info launched October 1945 for States Marine Corp apparently still going strong.

Rennie Cameron
29th January 2007, 05:34
Aristo, I will search my records. Canmar Explorer IV was the ex Single Point hitch I recall. She was converted by Salvesen into a drillship and then further converted by Canmar. She was one of four sold when they went bust. She had her derrick removed in the Philipines and became Explorer IV started as an accomodation vessel. Eventually after sale and resale the Explorer IV had her accomodation taken off abd gutted. It was installed on the newbuild CLV1 which is Sarku Clementine. The remains were gutted - engines, mud pumps and all sold to an Americam trader. She was towed to her fate 1977 from Singapore....I was the last man off and not altogether sorry to see her go. I dont know what pix I have of her, I will have to check. She did 3 knots on a good day. We put a moonpool door on her and got 4 to 5 knots. What she did nahe was good engines and the best aircon I ever felt! Trust this helps a little. Oh! she was built in Canada I recall and also converted there.

NavArch
26th June 2009, 19:10
Aristo, The SNAKEHEAD was delivered 9/45 from Southeastern Shipbuilding Corp. It was acquired from the Reserve Fleet by Dome Petroleum Ltd of Calgary and converted to a drillship at Todd Shipyards Galveston. At first, she was to be renamed MARY J. but this was changed to CANMAR EXPLORER by the time of her delivery in 1976.

MOORING HITCH was delivered 10/45 from J A Jones Construction Co, and followed a similar course as SNAKEHEAD. At first, she was to be renamed KATHLEEN M. but this was changed to CANMAR EXPLORER II by her delivery in 1976. She was later sold to Northern Offshore Ltd and renamed NORTHERN EXPOSURE II. Northern Offshore sold the ship to Indonesia in 2004.

TAG KNOT also came from J A Jones. She was converted in 1973 by Bethlehem Steel in Beaumont to a drillship named HURRICANE. In 1975, the ship was renamed OCEAN HURRICANE.

SINGLE HITCH was delivered 12/45 from Pennsylvania Shipyards (later, Bethlehem Steel) Beaumont, and converted into a drillship by Tampa Shipbuilding, renamed DALMAHOY, for Salvesen Offshore Drilling Ltd. Sold to Canadian Marine Drilling in 1979 and renamed CANMAR EXPLORER IV.

To fill in on the "CANMARs", CANMAR EXPLORER III was purpose built as the drillship HAVDRILL in 1973. Sold to Northern Offshore and renamed NORTHERN EXPLORER III. Then sold to Canmar.

I was the program manager for the shipyard on CANMAR EXPLORER and CE II.They were the first drillships to operate in the Arctic. When delivered, there was very little left of the original C1-M-AV1s. The entire bottom plating had to be replaced. The only reason the side plating did not need replacement is because the beam was widened by ten feet on each side by the installation of sponsons that ran almost the entire length of the ship. The sponson plating and framing was of high strength steel. The only piece of equipment saved from each original ship was the anchor windlass. All the machinery, drilling and ship, was new (in 1976).

gregntexas
17th August 2011, 18:42
As a young man in 1975 I was a shipyard worker at Todd Shipyard, Galveston, Tx. I helped to build the Canmar I and Canmar II. They were a wonder of technology for the time with the computerized mooring system to hold it in place while drilling. We gutted them to the bare bones and completely refitted them. It was an awesome experience. It's great to see that they have survived.