QE2 R/O Alan Holmes

Paul Braxton
13th October 2006, 10:36
Looking for Alan Holmes, who was Chief R/O on the QE2 in 1970, when I met him onboard briefly.

Was told he could have been a Brock Man.

Thanks.

Paul

tedc
31st December 2006, 15:56
I'm sure there was an Alan Holmes (2nd R/O) with me on the Mahout at the end of 1959.

Timing would be about right!

Marcus Cardew
6th January 2007, 13:26
Looking for Alan Holmes, who was Chief R/O on the QE2 in 1970, when I met him onboard briefly.

Thanks.

Paul

Last time I saw Alan, he was still Chief sparks on the QE2 (1981), and I think he was turn and turn about with Chris Connerty.. Am still in touch with Bill Mullarkey and (now) Frank Dunn.. will enquire further..
Marcus

noel grayson
16th January 2007, 13:06
Last time I saw Alan, he was still Chief sparks on the QE2 (1981), and I think he was turn and turn about with Chris Connerty.. Am still in touch with Bill Mullarkey and (now) Frank Dunn.. will enquire further..
Marcus

Yes, I remember Alan Holmes in Brocks, lI think I only coasted with him, before all our senior sparks were elevated to the pearage i.e. enjoying the delights of the likes of QE2 rather than Kidderpore Dock, and Freeschool Street!!

Nobby Grayson

tedc
28th February 2007, 15:32
[QUOTE=Paul Braxton;82475]Looking for Alan Holmes, who was Chief R/O on the QE2 in 1970, when I met him onboard briefly.

I think that the attached Thumbnail is of Alan when he was on "Mahout" in 1959.

KiwiSpark
7th March 2009, 06:34
a lot thinner and less hirsute than I remember him!!

Allan Holmes
23rd July 2009, 20:18

Thanks.

Paul

OK Here I am. Been away a lot so haven't been on the site for ages. My policy is get as many hols in as u can prior to the appearance of the grim reaper.

Yes I was a Brocks man. Was employed right at the end of 1957 but didn't get a ship till feb 1958 when I joined the Manipur in London with Roger Goodson as C.R.O. The picture by TEDC is definitely me as I have a copy in my archives.

Arthur Orum asked me to have a go on the Cunard Lambrettas (Parthia, Media, Samaria etc) where I stayed for three years and in April 1968 was asked, again by Arthur, if I would consider a passenger ship..... Little did I think that it would be the QE2 as we were manning the radio rooms on the Franconia and Carmania at this time.

The picture from Tedc is definitely me as I have a copy in my archives.

To be honest I don't remember as far back as 1970 with any clarity so you will have to fill me in.

Cheers

Tony Selman
24th July 2009, 20:58
Good to see you back on the board Allan. We met once in New York in 67 or 68 when you were on Media, I think, and I was on Alaunia on the other side of the shed. We sank a few in your cabin. Interestingly Arthur Orum approached me in 1968 and asked if I was interested in manning QE2 for the final build and then maiden voyage, I think I was destined to be 3R/O. I turned it down because I hated the North Atlantic and I think Arthur was a bit surprised.

I must admit I did not know that Brock's R/O's manned Franconia and Carmania, that's the first time I have heard that.

Totally agree with your policy of spending the children's inheritance whilst still able to do so.

Allan Holmes
25th July 2009, 21:06
Hi Tony

Yes, we manned the two Cunarders. Brian Beecham was C.R.O. (I think Carmania) and I know that Chris Connerty was on the Franconia prior to joining QE2 in the early 70's. My memory is getting worse as I should know who else was there ..... but there we are.....

Cheers

Allan

tedc
26th July 2009, 14:12
Hi Allan!

When we were togther, in 1959, Anita & I were "Just Married".

As you say, "Time Flies" - we're having our Golden Wedding this coming Week.

Wonder what happened to the years in between!

Allan Holmes
29th July 2009, 19:36
Hi Ted

I have a pic somewhere with us two standing on the flukes of the spare anchor on the old Mahout with Anita standing in between. I will have to root them out and post a few.

Cheers

John Ringrose
3rd June 2010, 13:26
How did you get the name "Piggy" - must be a story there somewhere !!!.

Tony Sprigings
9th June 2010, 10:00
Hi Allan, Remember me? We sailed together on the Mahout I think, before you were elevated to the Peerage!
Kind regards and hope life is still treating you well.

Peter (Pat) Baker
9th June 2010, 16:02
I hate to butt in on this topic, but does anybody remember Peter Furmston (from Manchester) who was a Marconi R/O from the 1960's?
I would love to catch up with him.
Cheers,
Peter (Pat) Baker.