Empire State (u.s. Govt)

tanker
19th October 2004, 16:34
EMPIRE STATE was one of numerous sisters built in 1953 by N.Y:SHIP CAMDE
as various PRESIDENT .EMPIRE STATE previous name PRESIDENT JACKSON-BARRET.EMPIRE STATE V- ,this traning ship was pictured at Genoa summer
2003 in her courtesy visit in european ports.

tanker
19th October 2004, 16:37
I forgot to say that she is altered in her profile as when she was built as a general cargo.

Fairfield
19th October 2004, 21:30
No disrespect to your photo but I preferred the old one!!!

Fairfield
21st October 2004, 08:51
A photo of the previous EMPIRE STATE taken in Glasgow in 1975.

Fairfield
19th March 2005, 21:59
A better shot of EMPIRE STATE taken in Leith in the 1980s.She was an ex troopship-UPSHUR I think originally a passenger liner?

david smith
19th March 2005, 22:36
Tanker - was this the training ship that had an extra engine in a hold for training purposes? I shall check my back issues of ships monthly for details.

david smith
19th March 2005, 22:47
I believe this to be the TS Empire State VI of 1962, 17160t. Built as SS Oregon and became Mormactide, now part of a New York University

turbines48
25th January 2006, 22:52
looks more like one of the APL seamasters

very similar hull, house and gargo gear arrangement to the 1st generation box ships of the c-6 class built at ingalls in the early 70's for APL and Farrel Lines

moaf
26th January 2006, 10:56
I went on this vessel in Curacao a few years back. I was on the Global Marine ship Cable Enterprise, and she came in and berthed in front of us. At the time she had been loaned to the California Maritime Academy because their ship had broken down. There were somewhere around 500 cadets on the thing! All the holds had been converted into military style barracks. The galley and saloon were again very military style. We were all invited aboard to watch the Superbowl on a giant screen on deck - although no alcohol as the ship was dry. I was shown around the engine room by one of the female cadets who explained that they had no spares or anything. We 'loaned' them some packing and jointing for the leaky feed pump.

Principe_Perfeito
30th January 2006, 13:20
Hello.

Actually she was the former BARRETT, and yes, she was first destined to be passenger ship for APL but the Korea War changed the priorities and she was handed over to the military.
She was designed by George Sharp (the most famous American naval architect after William Francis Gibbs), she follows some of the design features applied by Sharp on the post-war DEL NORTE trio of Delta Line.

Data on the ship available at the APL website:
http://www.apl.com/history/timeline/stat7.htm

President Jackson (Third)
Built 1952 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, New Jersey.
Hull No. 485. O/N never documented

LOA=533'9", LBP=499'6", B=73'3", D=48'11", Draft=27'2"
Displacement=17,600 LT, Deadweight=6,898 LT, Gross tonnage=13,319

Cargo capacity: 570,000 Cu Ft., Passengers: 228, Speed=19 knots

Machinery: Single screw, geared steam turbine, 13,700 HP.
Two B&W WT boilers.

Requisitioned by the Navy while under construction and completed as a troop transport for use in the Korean War. Renamed U.S.S. BARRETT (T-AP 196).
Continued in Navy service until transferred to the Maritime Administration in March 1973. Loaned to New York State Maritime College 1973 and renamed EMPIRE STATE V, later EMPIRE STATE.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

A better shot of EMPIRE STATE taken in Leith in the 1980s.She was an ex troopship-UPSHUR I think originally a passenger liner?

Principe_Perfeito
30th January 2006, 13:22
Tanker - was this the training ship that had an extra engine in a hold for training purposes? I shall check my back issues of ships monthly for details.

Hello.

Information on the current EMPIRE STATE schoolship:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/tap-1001.htm

The TS Empire State VI was laid down as SS OREGON at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Newport News, Virginia.

The vessel was built for States Steamship Company and was launched on September 16, 1961. She was delivered to her owners in February of 1962 for service in the Pacific trades.

In the 1970s, the vessel was purchased by Moore McCormack Lines for the South American trade.

She was renamed MORMACTIDE and operated by that company until 1982 when she was taken out of service. The vessel changed ownership on more time.

United States Lines purchased the vessel but did not have the opportunity to operate her.

She was turned over to the Federal Government and laid up in the Reserve Fleet in the James River in December 1982.

In November of 1988, the MORMACTIDE was taken under tow through the St. Lawrence Seaway to Bay Shipbuilding Corporation in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. There the vessel was converted to a public nautical training ship and re-named EMPIRE STATE VI.
She was delivered to the State University of New York Maritime College on December 31, 1989.

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

needadditionalinformation
30th June 2007, 22:28
I have a pic of her as the SS Oregon here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/61540/cat/500/ppuser/5164

mcotting
23rd December 2007, 08:02
The Barrett was used to transport Korean troops to Viet Nam during that war. When NY Maritime College first acquired her as a training ship, there was still stenciling in passageways in Korean.