Yukon Star And Yukon Fisher

wully farquhar
18th October 2006, 21:30
Any of you lads or ladies in Grimsby know anything on these two vessels,they were registered and built in Buckie but don't know what happened to them in their later life.Something tells me that they were fishing out of GY but not to sure.
Cheers,-----Wully(Cloud)

Steve Farrow
19th October 2006, 11:30
Hi Wully,
I'm fairly certain that these two became the Athabasca and Matanuska. If my memory serves me well the latter was lost. Here is a thumbnail of Athabaska, see what yoy think
Steve

wully farquhar
19th October 2006, 22:27
Yes Steve i certainly would say that is one of them,do you know which one it is,maybe someone with an old Olsen's would know.edit,the Athabasca would have been the Yukon Star,i am going by her colour scheme,as the Yukon Fisher was light coloured.
Wully.(Thumb)

Steve Farrow
19th October 2006, 23:04
Wully, The red hull vessel is definately the ATHABASKA but I will try to find out more info
Steve

ian potterton
24th October 2006, 22:02
Hi Steve,the Athabasca was definately one of the afore mentioned and was pair trawling for a number of years with the 'Green Valley'(dont recall what happened to her?)The Athabasca was bought by the trawling company Thomas Hamlings of Hull and renamed Our van Clair and continued single trawling,I dont recall what happened to her after Hamlings went bust. Ian

Steve Farrow
25th October 2006, 00:29
Hi Ian,
I can't seem to find out the circumstances of the loss of the Matanusca. Do you have any info on this? I remember them well from when I worked on the lock gates.
Thumbnail is the Athabasca

ian potterton
25th October 2006, 10:51
Steve I have no recollection of the Matanuska,it must have been before my time. Ian

Steve Farrow
25th October 2006, 11:50
Ian
It was possibly when I worked on the lock gates, so that would date it between late '69-'74. I'm more of an antique than you and Bryn!
Steve

standby dave
1st November 2006, 01:07
We all knew them as The Yukan Havem

Steve Farrow
1st November 2006, 21:02
Just been given this......Albert Albrechtsen and his three man crew abandoned their vessel, Matanuska, after she apparently hit a submerged object and began taking in water and sank in less than ten minutes. They were picked up by the Danish vessel Hans Sme and taken to Grimsby. At the time she had 80 tons of industrial fish on board. One of the crew members was Ken Potterton of 100 Margaret St Immingham. The mate was Kurt Thompson. Other crew was Tom Powell from Grimsby. Dated 19th June 1972.
Steve

Mike Craine
6th December 2006, 23:44
Our van Clair was in Fleetwwod in the 90s in a very sorry state

darryl 63
3rd December 2007, 21:14
sailed on the athabasca in 82-albert waddy was the skipper

porthendry
4th December 2007, 23:21
Hi Steve,the Athabasca was definately one of the afore mentioned and was pair trawling for a number of years with the 'Green Valley'(dont recall what happened to her?)The Athabasca was bought by the trawling company Thomas Hamlings of Hull and renamed Our van Clair and continued single trawling,I dont recall what happened to her after Hamlings went bust. Ian

Green Valley was converted to a seiner and worked from Peterhead under the command of Terry Martin who was a Lowestoft beamer skipper iirc.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/522/thumbs/ins9.JPG

jonnie
5th December 2007, 11:35
Green valley was also skippered by phil jeremiah who lived in lossie but is from grim/hull/lowestoft, cant remember which. He's a skipper or mate on standby's now i believe.

Picture when it was GY http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=44663

picture when INS in porthendrys post above

Jonnie

jim andromeda
14th March 2008, 21:59
Wullie the Yukon star and the Fisher were originaly skippered by Brothers Bob Phimister and Sandy (Dip) I remember them both coming into Oban when they were new