Autobiography. Ex.MD of BP Tankers

pete8
19th October 2006, 12:10
Can anyone help with identifying an excellent book which I read (on loan ) a few years ago. I have mislaid details of title and author but the reference in one of the BP threads herein to BP super, Capt. Smythe (Isle of Grain, 1956) jogged a memory.
The author of the book started seagoing career with Blue Funnel. Thence some time with Shell and Eagle Oil. Finally, BP , ending up as Managing Director of BP Tankers. I have repeated the above to a couple of maritime booksellers but without success. The book does exist!!
Thank you.
Peter Graham

K urgess
19th October 2006, 12:13
Would that be "A love of Ships" by George King?
Autobiography by a Scotsman who became managing director of the BP Tanker Company from 1975 to 1981 combines the excitement of life at sea in war and peace.

John_F
19th October 2006, 14:28
Can anyone help with identifying an excellent book which I read (on loan ) a few years ago. I have mislaid details of title and author but the reference in one of the BP threads herein to BP super, Capt. Smythe (Isle of Grain, 1956) jogged a memory.
The author of the book started seagoing career with Blue Funnel. Thence some time with Shell and Eagle Oil. Finally, BP , ending up as Managing Director of BP Tankers. I have repeated the above to a couple of maritime booksellers but without success. The book does exist!!
Thank you.
Peter Graham
Definitely "A Love of Ships" by G.A.B.King. ISBN NO: 0-85937-358-4. George King certainly started his career with Blue Flue. Although he applied to Eagle Oil & Shell for a job as Third Mate, BP were the first to offer him a position as 3/0 in their fleet.
You will probably be able to get a copy from Abebooks on line. Its worth getting a copy if you were a BP man.
Happy hunting!
Kind regards,
John F.

pete8
21st October 2006, 15:37
To Marconi Sahib and John F. Many thanks to you both for responding.....yes, that's the one!. Have been onto Abebooks site and they have a number of copies available....will make a very nice Christmas box.

Incidentally, I now realize that the author, George King, must be the G.A.B King, much renowned for his ship portraits and sketches of British Tankers.
Kind Regards.
Peter Graham

John_F
23rd October 2006, 13:23
Peter,
Yes - the same man. There are some of his sketches in the book.
He also wrote Tanker Practice which I think became a standard work in the 50s & 60s.
Kind regards,
John.

Ivor Mackay
15th December 2006, 21:34
Met "Gabby King" and his wife in 1976 when he sailed on the British Patience(his ship as he liked to call her).I was engineering cadet and remember i had to make two brass cannons,along with carriages to give to him.The cannons were drilled out so as to make 1/5 & 1/6 measure of spirits.
A very nice couple.

John_F
15th December 2006, 22:23
Met "Gabby King" and his wife in 1976 when he sailed on the British Patience(his ship as he liked to call her).I was engineering cadet and remember i had to make two brass cannons,along with carriages to give to him.The cannons were drilled out so as to make 1/5 & 1/6 measure of spirits.
A very nice couple.
Ivor,
A great story & I'm sure your gifts are still in use.
Mrs. "Gabby" King, Catherine, launched the Patience at Verolme's yard in Rotterdam on December 22nd, 1973, in her role as wife of the MD of BP Tankers. Unfortunately, she (the Patience!) suffered severe gearing problems on her giant turbines & the Company's patience with the Patience ran out, sending her for demolition barely 8 years after she was completed, at Ulsan, Korea.
I sailed very briefly with George King on the Birch when he was a Marine Superintendant & conducting Decca Navigator trials in 1960. I was a 2nd year Navigating Apprentice. I met him & his wife again last year at the BP pensioners' lunch to mark the 90th anniversary of the Company, held at the RN College, Greenwich. As you say, a lovely couple. They both appeared very well & now live somewhere in Buckinghamshire.
Kind regards,
John F.

Ivor Mackay
16th December 2006, 00:13
thanks for the info John,glad to hear that they are both still on the go.
Ivor

Roy Fox
20th December 2006, 06:20
Anybody got photos and/or details of British Valour, British Harmony, British Honour. I sailed on all of these in late 1940's and early 50's so ships would have been built pre-war.
Roy

malcolm matthews
23rd May 2012, 15:18
Would that be "A love of Ships" by George King?
Autobiography by a Scotsman who became managing director of the BP Tanker Company from 1975 to 1981 combines the excitement of life at sea in war and peace.

I met gab king at his retirement party in IoG ,l was one of the stewards they asked in to help for day the chief steward was a taffy a real gent ,one of the best parts of the day was when we was serving dinner and some office worker from brit house wanted just the leg of a quall so the cook made up a silver salver with all the garny her face was a picture when she asked where it was so I moved the lettuce and there it was in all its 1.5 inch of glory to say she was embarrassed was an under statement we all had a great day and Evan got a personal letter from G king thanking us for the help