Wrecks on the Medway

K urgess
19th October 2006, 15:39
Having Google earthed almost the whole of the UK to try and find the drydock in the Horsa pic in the gallery I've found some strange places.

Everybody probably knows all about these so please tell.

Forts Darnet & Hoo (one either side of the Medway) but why so many wrecks at

5124'11.89"N 034'53.17"E

Riverman
19th October 2006, 17:08
Having Google earthed almost the whole of the UK to try and find the drydock in the Horsa pic in the gallery I've found some strange places.

Everybody probably knows all about these so please tell.

Forts Darnet & Hoo (one either side of the Medway) but why so many wrecks at

5124'11.89"N 034'53.17"E

The co-ordinates you have given pinpoint "Folly Fort". Folly Fort is on Hoo Island which is basically marshland and (I think) belonged to the M.O.D. The M.O.D. used this to to pump their dredged material ashore and at the same time reclaim some of the marshland. When Chatham Dockyard closed a private company took over the Hoo Island site and continued pumping silt ashore. It was found that silt was leaking back into the river on the eastern end of the island, so the perimeter of the eastern end of the island was lined with all kinds of wrecks to build up a wall.

Riverman

http://riverman.gotdns.com

K urgess
19th October 2006, 20:16
Thanks, Riverman.

Do any of the wrecks have names?

There are a lot of barges but also some more interesting looking jobs just to the north of the fort.

Riverman
20th October 2006, 13:54
Thanks, Riverman.

Do any of the wrecks have names?

There are a lot of barges but also some more interesting looking jobs just to the north of the fort.
Marconi
They probably all had names at some time, there were none that I recognised considering the state they were in. Most of them were local derelicts that had become an eysore to the local communities, and there were a couple sunken small wrecks that were lifted and placed there.
If I find any info on them I will post it on here.

Riverman

http://riverman.gotdns.com

K urgess
20th October 2006, 14:10
Thanks Riverman.

Just an idle enquiry. Don't like seeing what look like could've been handsome vessels rotting away on the shore.

When I was a kid the banks of the Humber were littered with old sailing barges that nobody wanted any more and now there's only one Humber keel left and I'm not sure about a Humber sloop. As for Humber fishing smacks.... well, least said soonest mended!:sweat:

Cheers

gus warner
30th October 2006, 04:16
Hi Marconi & Riverman, for many years there were two old prison hulks moored at the mouth of the Medway. When I went out on the family's Bawley boat and when I spent a couple of summer seasons on the Medway Queen we would pass them. They were, in those days in the '50s pretty delapidated and I wondered what happened to them.