Lamport and Holt/s ROLAND

Fairfield
20th October 2004, 13:46
Another of this well known company/s ships taken in Glasgow in the mid 1970s at the Meadowside General Cargo berth now the site of luxury housing!

igater
1st March 2006, 04:45
I sailed as first trip third mate on the following ROLAND, (ex Colorado Star, and Mahsuri) in 1978, I will post some pics when I get home. The skipper was Schofield. This was the last few trips for this ship. After the last trip ending in Liverpool in September 1978, during which there was a fire onboard, she went to Faslane to the ship breakers, which was apity for she was ahappy ship.

macjack
18th March 2006, 12:27
Another of this well known company/s ships taken in Glasgow in the mid 1970s at the Meadowside General Cargo berth now the site of luxury housing!
I am in regular contact with Capt.W.A."Bill" Sparks. Master of the Roland in 1968 when due to a combination of circumstances beyond his control she struck the quayside at EL Ferrol. At reduced speed she proceeded to Lisbon for "temporary repair good enough to to see the ship to South America" and back. Regular visits were made to the forecastle head during the voyage, late one afternoon there was an almighty screeching sound, looking over the bow the last remnants of the new plating hanging on by threads. After discharge in Montevideo they proceeded to BA, where at his suggestion the Roland was brought to the absurd draught of four feet forward and thirty two feet aft.She paid off in Liverpool 19 March 1969. That repair lasted the ship for thenext six years until she went to the breakers yard. Subsequently it was learned the pilot was sacked, Bill continued as master with Blue Star,and noted TURBINES are different noted when he took command of ACT1V.

An article on this was published GANGWAY No 74 Summer 1997

Santos
18th March 2006, 19:23
I sailed with Bill Sparks on the Raphael. He was relief Skipper whilst the normal skipper Capt Williams was having a trip off. I was Senior Cadet.

He may remember me, I broke two toes on my right foot, that trip, in Santos, whilst playing football for the ship. I was given the job of drawing and filling in the ships cargo plans, whilst they healed.

Didnt he live in Wallasey ?.

Chris.

macjack
22nd March 2006, 10:20
I sailed with Bill Sparks on the Raphael. He was relief Skipper whilst the normal skipper Capt Williams was having a trip off. I was Senior Cadet.

He may remember me, I broke two toes on my right foot, that trip, in Santos, whilst playing football for the ship. I was given the job of drawing and filling in the ships cargo plans, whilst they healed.

Didnt he live in Wallasey ?.

Chris.

Chris,
I will be contacting Bill in the next few days. He is now 83 and recently moved from Seaford Sussex ( Where I met him) to Thame Oxfordshire with his wife, to be near their Son. What a Gentleman, still sprightly as a cricket - drives up and down the Motorways - Wallasey- Seaford for his monthly meetings of the " Master Mariners Assoc"@ Brighton.
Dedicated Merchnt Navy, his fund of stories endless.
I will pass on your greetings, and forward his reply.
Kindest Regards,
Mac.
I attach his profile copied from Gangway Magazine No 15 Spring 1978.

Santos
22nd March 2006, 20:11
Mac,

Thank you for letting me see the article and please give him my compliments and best wishes.

I also remember on that trip on the Raphael with him, making a certain departure from Itajai, in Brazil without a tug, ask him what happened to the prop !!! (LOL)

I must say she certainly speeded up and we got home in record time, it must have been the props new shape !!!!

A great guy to sail with a fine seaman and a gentleman, I respected him tremendously.

Chris.

rossini
11th January 2008, 18:12
There is a superb photograph of the Roland in David L Williams and Richard de Kerbrech's book, 'Cargo Ships, a Colour Portfolio'. She is laid up in Cardiff in 1975 pending sale. There are also good shots of the Ronsard and Belloc for Lamport fans, and many others.

John Gillespie
14th January 2008, 20:18
can you give me information on captain William Gillespie,, Senior master,who retired in 1960