monitor prob

billyboy
23rd October 2006, 13:52
I notice there is a bluish image spreading across my monitor screen bottom left and top right hand corners. does this mean my monitor is on the way out?

K urgess
23rd October 2006, 14:31
Billyboy

If it's a CRT does it have a degaussing button?

Have you got your speakers too close to the screen?

Is it still there when you turn the brightness down?

Does your chewing gum lose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight?(==D)

Cheers

Jeffers
23rd October 2006, 14:31
Is it a CRT monitor or a flat screen? If it's a CRT it can get discolouration due to stray magnetic field affecting the tube. There is generally a circuit in the monitor to "degauss" it every time you switch on, it could be that this has stopped working. Have you any tame TV engineers about? I used to fix them for a living many years ago and faults of this sort were generally due to a defective thermistor, which is a type of resistor that changes it's resistance as it heats up. Someone might have one lying about, as far as I know modern TV's with CRTs still use the same system. We also used to have a degaussing coil in the workshop that could be used to manually degauss a tube.

If it's a flat screen it could be a connector problem, maybe, although that usually results in stripes or bands of wrong colour.
You and computers just don't seem to get on, do you? lol.

Tmac1720
23rd October 2006, 17:17
Billyboy, CRT's or flat screens don't work too well under water(Jester) Sorry mate I couldn't resist it, miserable lot of toerags you have for mates(Thumb)

Mad Landsman
23rd October 2006, 20:07
Most CRT monitors have some kind of degauss function from the set up menu.
Probably four buttons somewhere which you use to set the size/colour/etc.
Enter the menu, go to sub menu something like 'Etc' or 'other' or 'Misc' and there you should find degauss - select it and if that was the problem then: Hey presto!
If it fails then you could try a sub menu like 'image' and adjust the settings, only a little to check the effect.
Good Luck.

billyboy
23rd October 2006, 23:22
???? dont know why but it is clear this morning, have to wait and see what happens when it warms up later. I have an altec lancing sound system and during the panic of the flood it was placed near the monitor screen (switched off) so maybe the magnetism thingy hit it.thanks for all your help nd suggestions gentlemen.
I will try to keep it out of the water TMac...LOL

benjidog
24th October 2006, 03:11
Is there anything that hasn't gone wrong with your PC Billyboy? :)

Glad it's fixed anyway and hope you are OK with the floodwater.

Brian

wakaman
25th October 2006, 09:13
Blue just aint your favourite colour Billyboy,lay off them pills !!! LOL

billyboy
25th October 2006, 12:01
Blue just aint your favourite colour Billyboy,lay off them pills !!! LOL

heh heh heh, you could be right at that wakaman! (Jester)