Russian submarine

Bob S
21st October 2004, 14:57
Can anyone identify this Ex: Russian submarine seen in a back water at Den Helder in Holland during May 2000? Is she a preservation project or awaiting scrap?

rd77
4th November 2004, 16:17
She's a Foxtrot class diesel sub. AFAIK she is a tourist attraction. Actually, I think she might have been hauled ashore recently.

cockerhoop
5th November 2004, 07:54
i think several ex russian subs were scrapped at Blythe in the late 1980s
and hasn,t a preserved Foxtrot been on display at various locations in the UK?

Bob S
5th November 2004, 14:08
Thanks RD77.

I'm not sure that she is a Foxtrot class, she look's more like an early Zulu class, the Foxtrot class have a different style fin. I'll attempt some research on the name AFAIK and see what it throws up.
There was a Foxtrot (475) as mentioned above on the River Thames for sometime and the attached photo shows her at Woolwich in July 1994, the difference in the fin is apparent.

frederic
4th April 2005, 22:03
There is also a Foxtrot sub preserved in Zeebruges (Belgium).

Kind regards,
Frederic
Webmaster
MaritimeDigital Archive (http://www.ibiblio.org/maritime)

Jeff Egan
27th August 2005, 17:07
Iposted a picture of the russian Subs in Blyth a couple of weeks ago

Bob S
27th August 2005, 18:15
Thanks for the info Kapitain, I was pretty certain she was a Zulu although searching the www, there is a foxtrot museum in Den Helder!!! (Thumb)

william dillon
30th September 2005, 21:34
Bob,
I recently visited a Russian submarine in Long Beach California next to the "Queen Mary", it looks like the one in the 'photo, very large!!!!!!
Best regards
Billy

karbine
30th October 2005, 13:55
Thanks RD77.

I'm not sure that she is a Foxtrot class, she look's more like an early Zulu class, the Foxtrot class have a different style fin. I'll attempt some research on the name AFAIK and see what it throws up.
There was a Foxtrot (475) as mentioned above on the River Thames for sometime and the attached photo shows her at Woolwich in July 1994, the difference in the fin is apparent.

This submarine used to be in kent in England but they kicked the owner out for not paying hes rent. ive been on it before it was a museam but i think it just sits on the medway now...soon to sink as its falling apart.

robandbarbara
19th April 2007, 23:13
Russian Sub. 475 at Strood, Kent. 24.06.2003

DICK SLOAN
14th August 2007, 16:43
This submarine was at Folkestone for a long time'1990s early 2000 I had the job of painting her' I have just been down to Canal street in Strood and this is where she is tied up' with little boats moored along side of her' the same place as robandbarbara photographed it in 2003' she will have to go because they are redeveloping the area.....she does look sad

VLCC
26th November 2007, 19:47
Acctually she is not a foxtrot class at all, she is a zulu V class SS project 611B from the 1950's she was built before the foxtrot came about, theres only this one left and she is used as a resturante in holland, theres around three foxtrots left as museams and one is a moving exibit as she visited folkestone.

Of the soviet submarines that remain theres only a handful,

Lima class in moscow
Zulu V in holland
Foxtrot (moving exibit)
Julliette class (played K19 in san diego harbour)
Foxtrot class in mumbai india
and several others.

Just like to note i studied the russian and soviet cold war navy for history and followed it on to present day if you wish i can supply full specification for the foxtrot and Zulu's and all soviet / russian submarines 1945 to present.

Thankyou sirs ~S~

Dumah54
20th October 2013, 19:45
Not sure of the class, but K19 widowmaker was filmed in and around Halifax Harbour and approaches. The opening scene clearly shows the graving dock in the Halifax Shipyards.

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Scatari
23rd October 2013, 20:24
Not sure of the class, but K19 widowmaker was filmed in and around Halifax Harbour and approaches. The opening scene clearly shows the graving dock in the Halifax Shipyards.

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Dumah:

The Hotel-class submarine K-19 (the real "Widowmaker) was portrayed in the film by a decommissioned Soviet Juliett-class submarine.

HMCS Ojibwa portrayed the Soviet Whiskey-class submarine S-270 which also appeared in the film. HMCS Terra Nova portrayed the USS Decatur. As you stated, Halifax Shipyards represented the Soviet shipyard.

John Rogers
23rd October 2013, 20:39
There is a large Russian Sub in the Hamburg docks. See photo in my gallery.