Captain Sprigings' book: "Beyond the Mersey"

Tony Selman
24th October 2006, 13:39
Tony's book has been referred to a couple of times over recent weeks. My business printed the original short run of this book for Tony's family and friends a couple of years ago. It had been in my mind for a while now to ask Tony if he would authorise another run to allow the Brock's, and other, enthusiasts on this site to enjoy what I considered to be an excellent read. Mike Wild's post of a couple of days has proved to be the catalyst and I have just spoken to Tony over the viability of the project.

I am pleased to say that he is fully in favour of the idea and and between us we would like to gain some idea of how many people are likely to be interested so we can gauge the print costs and the retail price. This is estimated to be between 12 and 14. Please post on here if you are interested in purchasing a copy.

mclean
24th October 2006, 15:04
Count me in Tony. Regards

James_C
24th October 2006, 15:17
Me too.

tom nicholson
24th October 2006, 16:05
and me i love good book

cheers tom

skymaster
24th October 2006, 16:24
Count me in!

Mike

Johnstokoe
24th October 2006, 18:03
One for me as well p[lease.
Many thanks
John

John Leary
24th October 2006, 19:21
Put me down for a copy.
Regards
John

oglebilluk
24th October 2006, 19:46
.... and you'll sell another to me. With thanks

Bill Ogle

Tony Selman
24th October 2006, 20:56
To give you some idea of the format of the book I have just checked my copy in the study. It is 57 A4 pages printed double sided (ie 114 pages in all) with card cover front and back, protected by an acetate front sheet and wiro bound down the spine. The book is black and white throughout. There may be slight changes this time but not much.

mahseer1
25th October 2006, 11:22
I am definitely interested - cheque book open and pen poised.

gwzm
25th October 2006, 16:34
Hi Tony,

Count me in for a copy.

All the best,
John/gwzm

Stuart Smith
25th October 2006, 19:09
Yes please.

Stuart

Tony Selman
25th October 2006, 19:33
This print run is definitely going to go ahead. I am currently liaising with Tony and also another SN member Roger Bentley and we are going to print a sample copy from the dreaded Microsoft Publisher (scream) disc that Roger has and then send Tony a proof for his final approval. The reason for this being that there were a couple of minor errors in the first version.

Doug H
26th October 2006, 00:50
Tony: I,d buy a copy - especially if we can pay on-line by credit card. Doug H

S Fraser
26th October 2006, 11:48
Tony's book has been referred to a couple of times over recent weeks. My business printed the original short run of this book for Tony's family and friends a couple of years ago. It had been in my mind for a while now to ask Tony if he would authorise another run to allow the Brock's, and other, enthusiasts on this site to enjoy what I considered to be an excellent read. Mike Wild's post of a couple of days has proved to be the catalyst and I have just spoken to Tony over the viability of the project.

I am pleased to say that he is fully in favour of the idea and and between us we would like to gain some idea of how many people are likely to be interested so we can gauge the print costs and the retail price. This is estimated to be between 12 and 14. Please post on here if you are interested in purchasing a copy.

Tony,
I would like to aquire a copy.
Stan

R798780
26th October 2006, 15:10
and a yes please from me. Do I make No. 13 ?

Tony Crompton
26th October 2006, 15:12
And me please.
--------------
Tony C

Derek Roger
27th October 2006, 10:47
One for me thanks. Derek

Tony Selman
27th October 2006, 11:06
An update for you. I have received the Publisher disc from Roger Bentley and have printed a proof copy for myself to check over the weekend. For those of you that are lucky enough not to have to use Bill Gates' worst known product, it is very difficult to transport from platform to platform as all the pagination goes to hell. We are used to the problem though as until recently The Radio Officers' Asociation newsletter was created in Publisher - thank God it is not any more. Once we are happy here I will send a proof copy down to Tony Sprigings and when he is happy we will go to print. These books are printed digitally in black and white so will be produced quickly. Please be warned that some of the images are not of the best quality because of either the quality of the originals or the scanning process, in my opinion this does not detract from a very good book.

Tony and I are deciding on the final methodology of taking orders and subsequent despatch but it is most likely that I will take the orders on this site, get people to send me their address details by Private Messsage and then take payment from you by cheque or by credit card if you are overseas. All things being equal I would expect to be printing and desptaching the books w/c 6 November.

mahseer1
27th October 2006, 13:02
Tony
Many thanks to all involved in making this book available - I'm sure we all appreciate the time and effort involved.

Regards
Peter B

Don A.Macleod
27th October 2006, 20:59
Definitely a copy for me Tony.

japottinger
29th October 2006, 14:34
Me too

ian jackson
30th October 2006, 14:10
I would like one as well

Ian

michael james
1st November 2006, 15:09
Count me in for one please Tony.

David Byrne
7th November 2006, 19:04
I would very much like to be on the list please.

David Byrne

Tony Selman
8th November 2006, 11:11
Can I refer those that may not have seen it to another thread concerning the publishing details for this book. Several of you that have expressed interest in the book have not responded to the information request on there.

Thanks

Tony

John Leary
13th November 2006, 11:48
I would like to record how much I enjoyed reading "Beyond the Mersey" not only because of the nostalgic reminders of a an age in British shipping now sadly a distant memory but also because of the recollections of T and J Brocklebank and its ships, some of which I had the good fortune to serve on during my brief period as a Radio Officer. I had never understood before this book how many factors combined to bring about the decline in the British shipping industry and maybe it could not have been prevented but it seems ironic that many other Nations appear to have maintained a viable shipping industry. Maybe the old adage is true that you never fully appreciate something until it has gone. The UK might come to rue the day that it has allowed itself to become so dependent on other nations ships.

I found the story about the beaching of the Mahseer particularly touching because she was my first ship and therefore occupies a very special place in my affections. It seems appropriate that the old girl refused to be beached without some sort of struggle.

My thanks to Tony the author for an excellent read and to the other Tony for taking the trouble to produce it and make it available to a wider readership.

Best regards
John

Tony Selman
13th November 2006, 19:01
I am glad you enjoyed it John. I think, and hope, other readers will as well and it was for many of the reasons that you list above that I asked Tony Sprigings if he would consider releasing his memoirs to a wider audience.

pilot
14th November 2006, 11:27
Tony(s) Can only echo John's message.

Very enjoyable and the information of the demise of Brocklebanks as we knew it was something I'd often wondered about.

I left Brocks. in '71 as 2nd. Mate along with the passing of the general cargo ships, after reading Tony's account of the Company my worst fears were exceeded concerning their progress to oblivion along with most of the British Merchant Navy.

Many thanks to the Tonys for enabling a wider audience to enjoy this ripping good read.

Best Regards. Martin Cadman.

david fitzpatrick
21st November 2006, 22:18
I would be interested in a copy count me in.

Keith Adams
22nd November 2006, 05:32
I would like a copy too. Also do the Brock guys know that a great painting of
the "MAHRONDA" appears on the dust jacket of the book "Liverpool Shipping",
a short history, by George Chandler ? Phoenix House,London, 1960. The cover
art is by Walter Thomas with vessel in the Clyde.Really poweful scene. Snowy.

Tony Selman
23rd November 2006, 16:11
If anyone else wants a copy of the book will they please send me a private message. The other "Publishing Details" thread has been closed.

Derek Roger
23rd November 2006, 21:14
I ordered my copy from Tony by "Sea Mail " not so much as to save $ but it may help keep some poor Mariner in a job !!
I may get it before Xmas ? ( the waiting for it will make the reading so much more enjoyable .
In todays world with everything "on line " " Now " there is lost the antisipation and fun of having to wait for something .
Bit like a holiday ; 1/2 the fun is in the planning and expectation !

Derek Roger
23rd November 2006, 21:20
Bit like being at sea ?
While on board we all thought of leave and what we would do .
When the leave was coming to an end I always felt an excitement in wondering which ship was next and where it would be trading ? who would be my shipmates and just knew that there were lots of good times and laughs coming up soon .
I think our generation really had the best of it !!! ( lots of time in port and the Pound seemed to go a long way )

Derek

john g
24th November 2006, 13:23
I agree Derek life was an adventure in those days no instant communication, (morse code was the order) a movie was a luxury,as was mail from home, and most times we didn't know where the next trip would take us. Today they watch your every move from the sky and then you have to fill in endless multiple choice forms.Oh happy days.....

Derek Roger
24th November 2006, 14:45
I agree Derek life was an adventure in those days no instant communication, (morse code was the order) a movie was a luxury,as was mail from home, and most times we didn't know where the next trip would take us. Today they watch your every move from the sky and then you have to fill in endless multiple choice forms.Oh happy days.....

Absolutely ;
Especially as Master or Chief Engineer ; once Liverpool or the Channel were over the horizon the "office " could get stuffed !

mclean
12th March 2007, 01:07
Have just finished Tony Sprigings book, and must say I enjoyed it very much. Wish him well for the future. Colin

Derek Roger
12th March 2007, 01:55
I also enjoyed Tonys Book; was a bit dissapointed that there were no reports of "Free School Street "
Derek

Keith Adams
19th March 2007, 09:25
I enjoyed the book also... I am surprised he didn't respond to the Cattle/Sheep
boat Thread as he wrote extensively about such ships in his book... was and is a very good read. Snowy

Tony Sprigings
19th March 2007, 09:44
Snowy, How do I find the cattle/sheep boat thread?

sidsal
13th October 2008, 17:06
As a new member with limited computer know-how I have come across the various messages regarding Tony Spriggins book.
Is it possible to get a copy - if so please tell me where to send the cheque.
Tony, I am sure, was known to me as he and I were about in Brocks at about the same time
Send me a PM

Thanks

Tony Selman
14th October 2008, 16:35
Sidsal

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Tony

rstimaru
14th October 2008, 18:42
Yes i would buy the book Bob

sidsal
14th October 2008, 20:16
Dear Tony Selman
In case the message which I believe I have sent re your kind offer to loan me Tony Spriggin's book I am repeating my directions - viz -
(Edited to remove the address).
Thanks ever so#Sid

Sorry, Sid but it's unwise to put your home address up on a public site like this. Please make contact by PM to exchange that sort of thing
Regards
Kris

sidsal
16th October 2008, 18:26

Dear Tony
Thanks very much for the book which arrived this morning. Looks very interesting !
Best regards
Sid

sidsal
6th November 2008, 18:22
Dear Tony
Did you get Cpt Spriggins' book back ?
Also I have heard that he has been poorly.
Have you heard this. It was the late Capt Peter Margesson's wife who told me this but she was a bit vague.
Best regards
Sid

Tony Sprigings
12th November 2008, 13:55
Sid,
To set the record straight I have recently returned from hospital having had a heart attack. On the mend now and firng on three. Hope to be back to full strength by the turn of the year. Funny how bad news travels faster than good!
Cheers,
Tony

Derek Roger
12th November 2008, 14:52
Nice to see you back again Tony and glad you are on the mend . Regards Derek

Tony Sprigings
12th November 2008, 20:17
Thank you Derek and trust you are keping well
Cheers.
Tony

Tony Selman
23rd November 2008, 10:23
Sid,

I am sorry for the delay in replying but I have only just returned from a two week cruise. Yes, I did receive the book back thanks.

I too am delighted that Tony is back in the fold and well on the road to recovery.