benrinnes

binliner
24th October 2006, 17:15
anyone out there who survived the "rinnes"that ran between manila and hong kong---3 nights in manila- day and night at sea--1 night in hong kong then back to the bars of manila for three nights.

Roddy Munro
25th October 2006, 20:33
Hi Biliner.
Dont think there will be many left to tell the tale of that run!!! But you never know,Thompson's bairns were made of good stuff.
Cheers
Roddy Munro

philwindsor
18th July 2008, 16:51
there were quite a few guys who you could not drag of the rinnes.
i remember Rab Longridge from glasgow he got married then lived out in manila for many years, before bringing his family back to scotland

celsis
20th July 2008, 10:38
i remember Rab Longridge from glasgow he got married then lived out in manila for many years, before bringing his family back to scotland

Rab brought his family back to Scotland? Any idea where he is now?

binliner
21st July 2008, 00:44
i had forgotten what had happened to me when i left the rinnes --she was sold-- would have been their to the end if she had not been sold-- when i got home --single at the time --and went to my doctor (not for what you think) he informed me that i was completely run down and recommended rest and a quiet life for a few weeks.didnt tell him it was the affects of months of tanduay rum and phillipino women.

shev52
21st September 2013, 15:16
just joined site rinnes sold Chinese became MVNEW PONY handed over stayed 1 month with Stan Herron CH/ENG colin shevlin 3/eng

Harvey05
29th September 2013, 16:00

The Benrinnes was my first deep sea trip I set off from Edinburgh with my flaired green woolen pinstripe suit complete with Paisley pattern fish tie. It took 29 hours to get to HK. We had 6 hours sitting on the runway waiting on permission to take off from Heathrow. I spent a weekend in the seamans mission in HK then joined the ship as catering boy. Had to share a cabin, no air conditioning and it was probably the best trip i had.

I remember Rab Longridge, i think he took me ashore in Manila. I certainly learnt about sea-life on that ship, only the skipper and ch. eng were sober(i seem to remember). I have more recollections if anyone is interested in hearing.

The trip to HK from Manila was recovery time, What a ship.

DURANGO
29th September 2013, 16:31
How long was she on that run for Manila to Hong Kong and how come she was put on it in the first place it doesn't take much working out that she could keep a crew best regards Dave .

Harvey05
29th September 2013, 16:36
How long was she on that run for Manila to Hong Kong and how come she was put on it in the first place it doesn't take much working out that she could keep a crew best regards Dave .

The Alder,Avon and city of Edinburgh were too big to get into Manila, so she fed the cargo to HK.
The ship was a **** hole but the run was unbelievable, i saw a ray whilst on bridge one day that was the same breadth as the ship. regards Martin

DURANGO
6th October 2013, 06:41
I don't suppose she is looking for a clapped out old A.B by any chance .