benrinnes

binliner
24th October 2006, 16:15
anyone out there who survived the "rinnes"that ran between manila and hong kong---3 nights in manila- day and night at sea--1 night in hong kong then back to the bars of manila for three nights.

Roddy Munro
25th October 2006, 19:33
Hi Biliner.
Dont think there will be many left to tell the tale of that run!!! But you never know,Thompson's bairns were made of good stuff.
Cheers
Roddy Munro

philwindsor
18th July 2008, 15:51
there were quite a few guys who you could not drag of the rinnes.
i remember Rab Longridge from glasgow he got married then lived out in manila for many years, before bringing his family back to scotland

celsis
20th July 2008, 09:38
i remember Rab Longridge from glasgow he got married then lived out in manila for many years, before bringing his family back to scotland

Rab brought his family back to Scotland? Any idea where he is now?

binliner
20th July 2008, 23:44
i had forgotten what had happened to me when i left the rinnes --she was sold-- would have been their to the end if she had not been sold-- when i got home --single at the time --and went to my doctor (not for what you think) he informed me that i was completely run down and recommended rest and a quiet life for a few weeks.didnt tell him it was the affects of months of tanduay rum and phillipino women.

shev52
21st September 2013, 14:16
just joined site rinnes sold Chinese became MVNEW PONY handed over stayed 1 month with Stan Herron CH/ENG colin shevlin 3/eng

Harvey05
29th September 2013, 15:00

The Benrinnes was my first deep sea trip I set off from Edinburgh with my flaired green woolen pinstripe suit complete with Paisley pattern fish tie. It took 29 hours to get to HK. We had 6 hours sitting on the runway waiting on permission to take off from Heathrow. I spent a weekend in the seamans mission in HK then joined the ship as catering boy. Had to share a cabin, no air conditioning and it was probably the best trip i had.

I remember Rab Longridge, i think he took me ashore in Manila. I certainly learnt about sea-life on that ship, only the skipper and ch. eng were sober(i seem to remember). I have more recollections if anyone is interested in hearing.

The trip to HK from Manila was recovery time, What a ship.

DURANGO
29th September 2013, 15:31
How long was she on that run for Manila to Hong Kong and how come she was put on it in the first place it doesn't take much working out that she could keep a crew best regards Dave .

Harvey05
29th September 2013, 15:36
How long was she on that run for Manila to Hong Kong and how come she was put on it in the first place it doesn't take much working out that she could keep a crew best regards Dave .

The Alder,Avon and city of Edinburgh were too big to get into Manila, so she fed the cargo to HK.
The ship was a **** hole but the run was unbelievable, i saw a ray whilst on bridge one day that was the same breadth as the ship. regards Martin

DURANGO
6th October 2013, 05:41
I don't suppose she is looking for a clapped out old A.B by any chance .

Ian Bunting
1st February 2016, 15:54
I was 2nd Eng on the rinnes with S Herron in 1979. It was a fabulous run HK to Manilla with a superb social life. We used to shut down on the way to Manilla to do the maintenance so we had the weekend off! I dont know if he is still alive but I will always remember the antics of Stan leaving HK!

IvortheEngine
2nd September 2016, 23:38
J
Hello Binliner - joined the 'Rinnes15.4.80 for what was to be her last few voyages as a Ben Boat.........joined with 2nd Eng, 3rd Eng and Leckie (George Gunn). There was a hold up in Manila so we were put up in the Seaman's Mish in Kowloon for a week before actually joining.
What a great trip! She was up for sale from the moment we joined and prospective buyers came on board each time we arrived in Hong Kong.
She was eventually sold to Sin Chong (of Singapore) and renamed "New Pony" and we all paid off on 19.7.80.

Saying of the trip was " ROLL ON MANILA!"

Jim Harris
3rd September 2016, 03:25
Gee, just reading the posts in this thread is making my mouth water.... and I thought that the run up the Amazon was good!

Can we have some more stories about the runs ashore, please.... Manila to Hong Kong, what a fantastic run.

Peter Simpson
3rd September 2016, 14:41
Hi Binliners - Served with the Ben Line from 1962- 1969 as an engineer. During that time I did 9 voyages on the 'Benrinnes' from 1962-1966. Starting as 8th.Eng and ending as 3rd.Eng. The passage of time and age has dimmed my memory for names but I believe the Captain was called Griffiths, he was short and wiry. My memory of the C/E was of a squat, muscular man with slightly graying hair and mustache. The 3rd.Eng was a lad called Colin who always wore on his head when in the engine room a white cover off his cap.
It was a unique ship and wonderful to sail on even though it was hot and no air conditioning. It held on to its crew which hardly changed all the time I was on it

IvortheEngine
4th September 2016, 00:02
Hi Jim - I believe Ben Line bought the "Benrinnes" from Fishers of Barrow (was "Neptune Fisher" and before that "Weser Agent" - German Registry) as a feeder container ship because the container terminal at Manila was still under construction, no gantries, which meant that Ben Line's 3 big box boats could not use Manila - Benrinnes could load and discharge with her own gear. At the beginning of the service Ben Line had British Officers and Crew but the crew were later replaced by Ben Line Hong Kong crew.
The first bar out of the gate (The Legaspi) was very popular and I believe was the start of a few marriages to Filipina girls.
Manila was a great run ashore - lots of Go Go Bars, etc and locals very friendly. Didn't rate the Hong Kong night life so much but we only had one night in there (Kwai Chung, Kowloon) then 2 days at sea, 2 days in Manila, 2 days at sea, one day Kong Kong every week.
( we needed the other 5 days to get over the 2 days in Manila).
I think a lot of Ben Line men will remember "Benrinnes" very fondly.
Hard to believe that was 36 years ago!

binliner
4th September 2016, 11:44
The unfortunate thing is I cannot remember very much about the ship apart from the fact that I had a great cabin I think two decks up and facing aft. The other thing was carrying cargoes of mangoes and pigging out on them sitting on a deck chair starkers as someone once said only two ways to eat ripe mangoes naked or in a bath and no bath on the 'rinnes

IvortheEngine
5th September 2016, 18:19
Undoubtedly -but I don't think it would have gone down well on the Old Man's Deck! - no bath up there either