British Shipbuilding Yards: North-east Coast

zelo1954
26th October 2006, 05:06
Has anyone ever viewed this Norman Middlemiss book? It seems a very substantial work and I know I can source a 2nd hand copy via Amazon. However they aren't cheap, so, before investing, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if it contains lists of buildings for each yard?

Cheers, Geoff

tom nicholson
26th October 2006, 16:08
Hi ZELO i have vol 1 of british shipbuilding yards by norman middlemiss and would recomend it to any one with a interest inships and the yards on the north east coast,i got it from shield publications ltd, newcastle upon tyne cost £18.95 inc delivery.

cheers tom

Joe Rooney
26th October 2006, 16:58
Geoff,

I am not familiar with this Norman Middlemiss work. However I do have the two volume work "Building ships on the Northeast coast. 1640-1914", and "Building ships on the Northeast coast. 1914-1980." by J.F.Clarke.

While they do not have builders lists, they do have an immenses amount of detailed information, and yard histories. Between them the books have about 900 pages. I bought these for about 55 pounds the pair in 1997.

When did Middlemess publish his book, (I am assuming that is a one volume work!)

Regards, Joe

Joe Rooney
26th October 2006, 17:02
Can anyone provide me with an email address for Shield Publications? Middlemess has produced a whole raft of maritime books, but I have never been able to find a complete list of his work.

Thanks, Joe

tom nicholson
26th October 2006, 17:27
the address for post is the only one i have wich is
SHIELD PUBLICATIONS LTD
7,VERNE ROAD,NORTH SHIELDS,
NE29 7LP
the book i have is the 1993 first edition isbn 1 871128 10 2 9
they have a very good choice of shipping books hope this is a help to you joe.

cheers tom

zelo1954
28th October 2006, 03:36
Thanks for the information folks. However I'd still like to know from those of you've who have read the book whether or not it contains lists of vessels constructed for each yard? I would most definitely fork out my cash for such a book.

Cheers, Geoff

tom nicholson
28th October 2006, 16:32
hi zelo in answer to your question yes it does give a listing per yard going back to about 1910 to closure, hope this is ok for you.

cheers tom

zelo1954
28th October 2006, 22:42
hi zelo in answer to your question yes it does give a listing per yard going back to about 1910 to closure, hope this is ok for you.

cheers tom

"Beauty" as they say across the ditch. Sounds exactly what I've been looking for for ages.

Cheers, Geoff

RALPH 18
4th September 2010, 17:47
hi,

Does any1 no anything about a James Storey an apprentice, shipwight in 1750's. Ship builder, land owner of Otterburn, living at the low lights North Shields 1n the 1790s?

ruth patterson
2nd October 2010, 13:54
Has anyone ever viewed this Norman Middlemiss book? It seems a very substantial work and I know I can source a 2nd hand copy via Amazon. However they aren't cheap, so, before investing, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if it contains lists of buildings for each yard?

Cheers, Geoff

I have reviewed this book on my blog at:

http://henryrobb.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/british-shipbuilding-yards-iii-a-book-review/

It details which yards are included and gives you an idea of the depth in which they are covered. I found it an absolutely excellent source for researching Henry Robbs and would highly recommend it.