Ebani

Fairfield
22nd October 2004, 10:30
Built by Scotts' at Greenock in 1952 and taken 21 years later in Glasgow.She lasted till 1977 with ED before going for scrap.

davidcalgary
18th January 2006, 05:27
I remember seeing her in Lagos.

barrypriddis
18th January 2006, 07:14
Am I right in thinking that she was part funded by MOD when being built, and had engines capable of more than commercial speed, so that the vessel could fulfill a military requirement?

eldersuk
18th January 2006, 10:24
She was part funded by MOD and was fitted with companionways in the hatches for conversion to trooping and stregthened for gun emplacements. She was also capable of running at a higher speed than that which was commercially viable.

Sister ship EBOE was identical.
Built by Scott's S&E, Greenock 1952. Both were powered by 6 cyl Doxford 725mm x 2250mm 8000 bhp, 16 knots, which were at the time reputed to be the biggest built.

Derek

ruud
5th May 2006, 15:31
Ahoy,

Found this piccie taken by Fotoflite incorperating Skyfotos, so the credits to them.
The EBANI 1952 Fotoflite incorperating Skyfotos

Cornishman
5th March 2007, 21:23
I did four trips on her as Acting Junior out of Tilbury in '67 - 68. I believe that there were a total of six ships built to this War Office (MOD) sponsored design, EDs having two. The grey stuff seems to prompt that Ropners had two more and it may have been that Lyles had the other two. The decks were certainly strengthened to mount guns, as indicated on bulkhead drawings.
We were generally able to make about 15 kts @ 105 rev/min, but were limited by concerns about cracks in the crankcase under one of the main bearings.
The Doxford was generally reliable, however, we succumbed to failure of one of the lower piston water cooling system glands, located in the crankcase, which resulted in complete lub. oil emulsification. Chief's tears nearly matched the 2000 + gallons of oil replaced. Another notable incident concerned the mechanical fuel valves, one of which stuck open whilst manoeuvring and causing the pressure relief valve to lift.
Whilst on the subject of the Doxford fuel system, it seems to have taken modern diesel technology a long time to catch up with the common rail system in use then.
Final observation regarding Doxfords - their starting air was 600 psi, rather than the 450 psi on B&W and Sulzer.
The Eboe and Ebani, and probably Egori too, since she was on the same service, didn't do the creeks on account of size and manoeuvrability.
After coasting for some months after leaving her I requested a steamship. Dave Jarvis seemed surprised but sent me to join Perseus for a trip around the globe.

David Wilcockson
5th March 2007, 22:00
Eldersuk
So if she had been chartered by MOD what sort of speed could she make & how many troops would she have been able to uplift. Did she carry 12 passengers on normal commercial service.
David

eldersuk
5th March 2007, 22:36
Ebani carried 12 passengers but I've no idea how many troops she would be capable of carrying. She had 5 hatches, 4 of which could be used for troop carrying, at a guess I would say 500 per hatch - depends how the army pack them in.
We used to run these ships at about 70% power which gave us about 16 knots so I suppose 19-20 knots would be a realistic estimate of maximum speed.

Derek

David Wilcockson
5th March 2007, 23:55
Derek
Thanks for that, so many times you hear rumours of what ships could do & it turns out to be some kind of urban myth, nice to bottom the truth out in this case & interesting as well. Would have looked mighty impressive doing around 20 knots. A certain amount of vessels built for British owners just after WW 2 had provision for gun emplacements & decks strengthened, the likes of Clan Line & corresponding `K` class of PSNC spring to mind, don`t know when the practice was abandoned but would have thought early/mid 50`s most likely.
David

lakercapt
6th March 2007, 14:19
Think that the two Ropner's vessels were Somersby and Swiftpool.
They were fast too

David Wilcockson
6th March 2007, 15:57
lakercapt
Swiftpool went to BI when only a few years old, & didn`t Somersby go to the RFA, not sure about the last bit.
David

japottinger
1st February 2008, 20:41
Egori's engine built by Scotts' at Greenock was the first turbocharged diesel, there was quite a long write up in Motor Ship magazine.

eldersuk
1st February 2008, 23:22
Slight correction Jim, first turbocharged Doxford.

Derek

japottinger
3rd February 2008, 21:42
Oops! I omitted the Doxford.

WilliamH
13th February 2008, 07:52
For Dave Wilcockson Somersby did go to the RFA, she was fitted out as a stores replenishment vessel at Smiths Docks, North Shields in the mid 50's

gillywhizz
27th March 2008, 20:10
I travelled with my family as an eight year old from a very cold Tilbury docks in November 1968 to Bathurst (Banjul) in The Gambia. Unfortunately whilst passing The Canaries my younger brother aged 2 had a febrile convulsion and we had to make an unscheduled stop at Gran Canaria where an ambulance was waiting to take him to hospital. We stayed in Gran Canaria for a week, whilst The Ebani carried on its journey. We flew to The Gambia arriving a day before the boat.As a child I remember being spoilt by the crew and there was a rocking horse that had been found in a cupboard somewhere for me to play on. I have very fond memories of this ship.

Pat Kennedy
27th March 2008, 20:41
Derek
Thanks for that, so many times you hear rumours of what ships could do & it turns out to be some kind of urban myth, nice to bottom the truth out in this case & interesting as well. Would have looked mighty impressive doing around 20 knots. A certain amount of vessels built for British owners just after WW 2 had provision for gun emplacements & decks strengthened, the likes of Clan Line & corresponding `K` class of PSNC spring to mind, don`t know when the practice was abandoned but would have thought early/mid 50`s most likely.
David

Alfred Holt's "Jason" and Ixion", were also supposed to have been built with extra engine capacity. As they could cruise at 18 knots, I imagine the extra capacity would bring them up to 20 knots or more.
There was a rumour going round when I was at sea that if a shipping company had 99 ships, than the 100th had to be built for MOD use in time of war. I dont know if this was true or not, perhaps someone out there knows.

Pat

Bill Davies
27th March 2008, 20:48
Pat,
I would say the 'H' Class were more than capable of 20kts.
Brgds
Bill

RayJordandpo
1st April 2008, 10:47
"There was a rumour going round when I was at sea that if a shipping company had 99 ships, than the 100th had to be built for MOD use in time of war. I dont know if this was true or not, perhaps someone out there knows".

Pat,
I was lead to believe similar. I thought if a shipping company had more than 99 ships they had to pay for the upkeep of a warship (urban myth perhaps?)
Story has it that Ellerman and Wilson kept their fleet below a hundred to avoid this ruling. I would be very interested to know if this was true and in what year
Ray Jordan

compass1
22nd July 2008, 21:17
Re: photos of Ebani,Eboe (and other ED ships). When I was apprentice with them ('55 to '59) focs'le and poop areas used to be painted white which set off the lines of the hull nicely. When did this practice stop and why?

eldersuk
22nd July 2008, 22:26
It stopped in the mid 60's as a supposed economy measure when the accountants began to gain control.

Derek

Bill Davies
22nd July 2008, 22:30
eldersuk,
The corporate link between Elders & AH went back a long time but the amalgamation of the crews came in the late 60s I am told. How did it impact on life in EDs??

J Smith
23rd July 2008, 20:41
Bill Davies:
You ask how the amalgation of crews impacted on life in ED's -
Well, I and many others got out quickly!
James Smith

eldersuk
23rd July 2008, 22:24
The amalgamation of the crews did not affect me too much personally - it was the change in management, both in the personnel and style which made the difference. From working for a friendly company it became like working for a government department. Nothing hostile you understand, but suddenly impersonal.

Bill Davies
24th July 2008, 22:17
Eldersuk,
Thanks yours. I heard similar from many 'old friends'. I am not sure if I mentioned it before but I came face to face with this management when I bought a house off one of the Directors in Gayton on the Wirral in 1970. What an arrogant man. Could not even bring himself to engage in pleasantries.

appbob
16th October 2008, 15:10
I was the Purser (A/P in rank) on the Ebani. Sailed 19th Dec 55 (As usual just before Xmas) and paid off in Victoria Docks London after part discharging in Hamburg. She was a very fast ship compare with the oldies in the early 50's ( New Texas 1919,Zini, ex Sam Boat and Calgary,1921 etc). We had a few keen fishermen onboard and the ship's lifeboat was lowered often. Names rembered are Arthur Blades (Elec).Nev Roe,3rd Eng.Capt Ralston, Parry-Hughes lst Off. and I have a very nice photo of the fishing group with the Ch Eng sporting a flat hat. Like most of ED's she was comfortable and I enjoyed my 10 years 1950-60 with them.

BillH
16th October 2008, 19:13
Ebani carried 12 passengers but I've no idea how many troops she would be capable of carrying. She had 5 hatches, 4 of which could be used for troop carrying, at a guess I would say 500 per hatch - depends how the army pack them in.
We used to run these ships at about 70% power which gave us about 16 knots so I suppose 19-20 knots would be a realistic estimate of maximum speed.

Derek
EBANI
O.N. 185437. 9,376g. 5,201n. 508' 3" x 64' 4" x 28' 2"
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (725 x 2250mm) Doxford type oil engine (No. 742), made by the shipbuilder. 8,000 BHP. 16 kts.

18.12.1948: Ordered from Scotts' Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 656), by Elder Dempster Lines Ltd.

25.12.1950: Keel laid.

13.3.1952: Launched by a Miss J. Tod.

19.6.1952: Completed at a cost of 941,844.

1973: Transferred to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Company Ltd. and given a blue funnel for one round trip to Far East. (Have a photo as such on the BF berth in Birkenhead)

1974: Reverted to Elder Dempster Lines Ltd.

15.8.1977: Delivered to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd., for demolition at Faslane.

jonnyround
7th November 2008, 22:15
I was a midshipman and the change from EDs to Blueies was amazing we were treated like lower class people only good for skiveing and looking after oficers.
Example was that we had to rig up the films in the saloon but we could only watch until 8 o clock and then we were barred and we were only allowed 2 beers a day In AFRICA!!!!!!

purserjuk
8th November 2008, 11:00
You were lucky! When I worked for ED's Deck, Engineer and Purser Cadets were not allowed any beer (spirits!) at all.
John

Cornishman
10th November 2008, 12:26
Engineer cadets were expected to be on no more than two beers a day, but, with ED's cash bar, there was a degree of flexibility built-in.

During my first trip (Perseus) after completion of training, the skipper had his Sunday morning rounds. I still had the remains of the previous trip's docking bottle (whisky) left on display. At the end of rounds, the message, received via the Electrician (G B 'Jimmy' Grogan), was "The Old Man sends his compliments. Get that f...in' bottle shifted off your desk."

doddy
27th January 2009, 20:15
Am I right in thinking that she was part funded by MOD when being built, and had engines capable of more than commercial speed, so that the vessel could fulfill a military requirement?

Ebani had built in stair wells to the holds to make easy access, I presume this meant she could be used for troop transport. Speed was such that the E class boats could overtake the mail boats but it was policy not to do this in the daylight.

Bill Davies
27th January 2009, 20:19
Good posts. Welcome to the Blue Funnel!!!

japottinger
15th March 2009, 16:31
I served my Eng. App. at Scotts' at Greenock during the building of Eboe, Ebani, Egori etc. Egori apparntly had same hull design as these two but different arrgt. of superstructure and had bipod masts.
Was an engineer in Brocklebank and recall plodding up the River Schelde in the 10 knot SS Maihar when the Egori in all her majesty tramped past us as if standing still. Possibly only time I was pleased to see a ship overtaking us!

bev summerill
13th April 2009, 20:30
I was 2nd mate on Ebani in 72 and 73 a good ship but no 3 hatch amidships was a pain

Bev summerill

alan mason
9th August 2009, 00:12
after the winnebar was scrapped I did a few trips in Ebani and when the russians and America had the stand off over cuba Ebani was in Hull and a rumour wen't round the ship she was to be coverted for possible trooping probian1

bev summerill
23rd November 2009, 22:13
I was 2years chief off on ebani on west africa run had a trip off and they sold the ship. I was sorry to see her go especially as I had left half my unitorm on board and never saw it again
Bev Summerill

japottinger
26th December 2009, 17:27
I joined Clan Line in MN as engineer after my apprenticeship with Scotts' at Greenock. Being fed up with standing by in port on a number of ships and not "going to sea" accepted, (or ordered) to join Bullard King's Umgeni, being a part of Union Castle and was at that time being linked up with Clan Line.
Well one trip was enough, nuff said, and we were all chuffed on entering the Channel at end of the trip to learn that she had been sold with sister Umtali to ED. After leave I was destined to rejoin a more or less same type in Clan so said no thanks and joined Brocklebank. Odd thing is that most of the ED lads who subsequently sailed on them, as Calabar and Winneba, had nothing but good words to say about them, mind you I don't think any were engineeers.
Would welcome any comments on their later service in ED.

Rogerfrench
10th July 2012, 05:28
She had 5 hatches, 4 of which could be used for troop carrying, at a guess I would say 500 per hatch

Derek

Actually, they had 6 hatches, not 5.

bev summerill
10th July 2012, 20:53
yes she had 6 hatches when I sailed on her

Bev Summerill

seagem (Cornish)
28th March 2013, 17:15
She was part funded by MOD and was fitted with companionways in the hatches for conversion to trooping and stregthened for gun emplacements. She was also capable of running at a higher speed than that which was commercially viable.

Sister ship EBOE was identical.
Built by Scott's S&E, Greenock 1952. Both were powered by 6 cyl Doxford 725mm x 2250mm 8000 bhp, 16 knots, which were at the time reputed to be the biggest built.

Derek

Derek,

I did 4 trips on Ebani, (Ch/Eng Harry Bentley), between July '66 and May '67. Somewhere along the way I picked up that there were a total of six ships of this type. Have you anything that might throw any more light on this?

EDs had two and it sticks in my fading memory that Ropners may have had at least one of the others. I've checked the list of vessels built by Scott's and, if these others existed, they would seem to have been built elsewhere.

Regards,

Greg Morcom

eldersuk
29th March 2013, 17:09
Greg,
I've never heard of any other ships built to this design which I understood was developed in house by the ED's naval architect department. This seems to be borne out by the Egori which had the same hull form with different accommodation etc.

I see that in an earlier post I stated that they had 5 hatches, This should, of course, have been six - apologies.

Derek