Still or movie?

Jankers
28th October 2006, 02:55
Hi there,

I need your advice please.

I do not have a camera but want something that will;

a) be ok for full size ships (at distance and also on board)

b) be good enough to allow me to pick off dimensions of fittings so that i may subsequently model the ship.

C) be ok for photos of models, both on the water and bankside, as well as in museums (behind glass)

I model in scales from 1:96 to 1:240 which means that some of the fittings are really small, i therefore need to be able to pick up detail the size of a pin head.

I have read around for info and think I shall need a 6meg pixel, 6 (or better) optical zoom, a macro of 1cm or less. I will also require a SLR style body as I need something to get hold of, the modern 'slim jimmies' are far too small.

Will I need a camera that will accept filters for "on the water shots"?

Will a "digital video", if that is the correct term, camera be more appropriate?

Please do not think that i know what i'm talking about because I've quoted some technobabel, this is all totaly new to me.

J.

Phill
28th October 2006, 12:56
Jankers its worth looking at this thread, http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2346 (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2346)

Phill

Jankers
28th October 2006, 22:40
Hi Phil,

Thanks, it was that thread that made me think to post this one.

I recognise some of the cameras mentioned from the previously done searching but models seem to change every20 months or so, hence my query about digital video.

john

Phill
29th October 2006, 01:44
Jankers

It really all comes down to money, Most cameras at present seem to be 4 Meg upwards, I’m quite happy with a Fuji finepix S5600 it has a good 10X lens and is 5.1 meg , but suffers in macro and does need a macro lens attachment and works good, a good replacement for my old cannon SLR, the cost about £200-220,
Most cameras have a good macro facility on them, I have an old Olympus 400,,,,3 meg with excellent macro Cost £70-90

Phill

treeve
29th October 2006, 14:35
The Fuji Fine Pix 9500 is said by professional photographers here to be the best, so I bought that and I am very pleased with the results. 28mm to 300mm zoom, and a very good macro. Perfect for long shots ( on the horizon ) and for document copying ( at the local records Office eg ) - will take black and white ( instead of of colour ) if wanted. And it will take video, if needed. It is also a very chunky anthropometrically designed ( it fits beautifully in the hand ) camera. I have been a photographer since the age of ten - I am now 65 and I can honestly say I have never been more impressed with a camera. Best Wishes, Raymond

Thamesphil
30th October 2006, 10:35
Don't get caught up in the megapixel race. More megpixels doesn't mean more quality. In fact, quite the opposite in some cases, as sensors have to compensate and often produce a 'noisier', less sharp image.

Cameras are very subjective and it really depends on what you want. Long zoom, wide angle, lots of manual features or simple point and shoot. Then there's the convenience of having a compact over a DSLR. Though a DSLR will always produce better quality images, you have to carry a bundle of lenses with you and they're expensive.

Personally, I prefer the convenince of an ultra-zoom 'prosumer' cam. These are close to DSLR quality and resemble mini-DSLRs in apprearance, but are much cheaper, smaller, lighter and you don't have to interchange the lenses. The ones I favour are the Panasonic DMC-FZ series, which with their Leica lenses are regarded as some of the best cameras in their class. They also have optical image stabilisation which is an absolute must if you intend to take long zoom photos.

Anyway, don't take my word for it. There are plently of camera review sites on the web and would recommend looking at these before making any purchase. For example:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dcresource.com/

Jankers
30th October 2006, 21:21
Thanks folks,

As I am not interested in the normal "family" shots, your feedback is very useful indeed.

J.