IRISH ROWAN (Irish Shipping Ltd)

tanker
24th October 2004, 15:42
Another piece of my artwork IRISH ROWAN ,built by Verolme Cork Dockyard,
Gt 12600 with her sister IRISH SYCAMORE. She was sold in 1973 from Irish Shipping and became AVRA -PANTAVRA -IOTA and was scrapped as EURCO ATHINA in middle 80s. Her sister was scrapped as MALDIVE NOBLE .An interesting company with her ships.

Fairfield
24th October 2004, 21:59
Excellent as always.Remember her well and her sisters.And of course the Cardiff Class bulkers built in Glasgow.

redgreggie
4th November 2005, 18:00
Another piece of my artwork IRISH ROWAN ,built by Verolme Cork Dockyard,
Gt 12600 with her sister IRISH SYCAMORE. She was sold in 1973 from Irish Shipping and became AVRA -PANTAVRA -IOTA and was scrapped as EURCO ATHINA in middle 80s. Her sister was scrapped as MALDIVE NOBLE .An interesting company with her ships.
I was on a RO/RO ferry in 1969 and played against the Irish Rowan at football in Gothenburg.
The ship I was on was the Spero out of Hull, we were very proud of our team, we were actually in a league for Merchant ships of all nationalities. I'm not sure if the game against the Irish Rowan was a league game but they were beating us, we came back and beat them (2-1 I think) it was, I do remember it was one of the hardest matches that we played.
I was the nippy midfielder who scored our first goal, I think we might have won with a penalty which was scored by Pete-the feet-Knowles.
What a wonderful memory, thanks to the Irish Rowan.
Just finally, we almost won the league, we ended up the highest placed British ship and were awarded with a medal, with a swedish blue/yellow ribbon and a pocket knife