West Hartlepool Steam

2548hopw
30th October 2006, 21:33
Anybody know where I can get photos of Mv Ardenhall & Mv Lindenhall of the above now defunct company. I served my time on the two ships and never took any photos which I seriously regret. Cheers Steve

treeve
31st October 2006, 00:04
Three each of Ardenhall 1918, 1924, 1976
and of Lindenhall 1910, 1937, 1975
I guess it is the latter you want?

treeve
31st October 2006, 00:18
1976 = ex DUNELMIA; then became ARDENHALL and became MOOLCHAND;

1975 = LINDENHALL became CARLOW HILL, then SULU EXPRESS and DANYAL EXPRESS.

Pictures available from
http://www.ship-photos.com

Dave Edge
31st October 2006, 07:03
A fellow apprentice I sailed with used to tell of sitting in the Hull Shipping Office waiting to sign on when an obvious first trip apprentice walked in wearing uniform, whatever that may be. After a while a grizzled old A.B. asked, "What company are ye' joining?
"Oh", the young lad replied proudly, "I'm joining the West Hartlepool Steam Navigation Company".
"Take ye' own sandwiches then!"

gdynia
31st October 2006, 07:28
Anybody know where I can get photos of Mv Ardenhall & Mv Lindenhall of the above now defunct company. I served my time on the two ships and never took any photos which I seriously regret. Cheers Steve

Steve
Photo of Lindenhall on www.photoship.co.uk

2548hopw
31st October 2006, 20:40
Gdynia, Cheers mate Im avin a look see . Steve

2548hopw
31st October 2006, 20:42
Dave, How long ago was this as something similar was said to me in Office on Myton St Cheers Steve

2548hopw
31st October 2006, 20:43
Cheers Mate Thought Id looked at that. Steve

Dave Edge
31st October 2006, 23:31
Steve, would have been mid-1960's but I suspect similar stories exist about most British tramp companies.

2548hopw
13th November 2006, 19:27
Dave, It was 1976 when it was said to me, but I guess it was something of a tradition. How wrong they were, food on W.H steamships was good. Cheers Steve

jazz606
19th February 2007, 17:26
Believe it or not I stayed in the airport hotel at Teeside Airport a few years back and it was owned by "The West Harlepool Steam Navigation Co" obviously the same company resurrected to run hotels.

robs audi
25th January 2008, 12:38
hi i was on the first trip in1975, on the new lindenhall, sailed from imingham, was suposed to be a 3month trip, so thats what they told me at the pool office, sailed to europe, aussy, then the gulf, terrible trip. in the gulf the ships air con broke down, we ran out of booze, ran out of ciggs, and the whole crew asked to be paid off. we were stuck off jedda for 3 months, with 200 other ships waiting to be unloaded. we got the union involed, they then said to the company, if we dident get sent home, the dockers in the uk, wouldent unload any vessal belonging to this company.. 2 weeks later, we were all told to pack our bags as there was another crew coming out to take our place, within 24 hours, the company charted a british airways jet to bring in new crew and send us home. we were not to see the other crew or make contact. we were put up in a hotel over night before we flew out next day, in total it was a nine month trip. this was my last trip in the merchant navy, i was not the only crew member to leave, others also said it was the worst trip they had ever done in 30 years. im glad this company dosent now exist, plus instead of being just a galley boy, i had to double up as messman as well, no extra pay. food was good but thats all. rant over now, rob,

robs audi
25th January 2008, 13:04
looking back again on this trip, the best bit was flying home from our charted plane from B.A we had the whole plane to our selves, the company had to charter the plane as it was ramadan, so no ordinary flights in or out of jedda to london, fully booked, as i remember the company charted 2 planes, the first part of the crew flew out the day before us, we flew out next day, friday, i think. 15 of us for the whole plane. as you would expect, we all clambered up to first class. all paid for, we took off at around 2pm with whisky in hand, sitting in the best leather seats, smoking a benson and headges. as we climed into the clouds i could see the docks and waters of the red sea below, and a last glimse of SD14 m.v lindenhall.(Thumb)

Burned Toast
25th January 2008, 15:01
Bet you would join again if they phoned you. (Good old Days)

robs audi
25th January 2008, 15:17
Bet you would join again if they phoned you. (Good old Days)

only if they paid me back pay. for doing 2 fecin jobs? and as long as it wasent jocks, and geordies together, the amount of cleaning down the bulkhead walls in the mesroom, LOL

Burned Toast
25th January 2008, 15:19
Naa Sand Dancers and Mackems, better crowd ?

Pat Thompson
25th January 2008, 17:30
Greetings,

As North East Coast Tramp outfits go "Steam Navvie" were probably the best, served my time as an apprentice there 1963-67 (Kepwickhall and Apsleyhall) and would not not swap that experience for the world.

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"

Bill Davies
25th January 2008, 18:14
Jazz606,

I understand the Guthie family have been in the Hotel business a long time.

Bill

Pat Thompson
25th January 2008, 18:56
Greetings,

The Guthie family diversified in what must have been the 1980-90s into leisure, this included Hotels and Caravan/Camping Sales. They purchased the Grand Hotel in Hartlepool which I believe they have subsequently disposed of and "A19 Camping", originally located in Peterlee but moved under their management to Hartlepool. Both of which I understand they have now sold on or whatever.

The only member of the Guthie familiy that I ever knew was "Sonia Dobie (sic)" a delightful lady who still lives in Elwick (some 2 miles west of Hartlepool).

In Hartlepool there is a pub "The White House" at the confluence (sounds good possible not the right word) of Grange Road, Wooler Road and The Parade that was owned by the Guthies, it was then "Normanhurst" and was used as recuperation hospital during and after WW1 and was part of St Francis Grammar School for Boys in the 1950/70s, my Alma Mater (and God how I hated it. The Xaverian Brothers who ran it cured me of religion and sport for life).

WHSN (West Hartlepool Steam Navigation) Company had offices in Church Street Hartlepool which stand today but are now used as a School Of Music, (look at my photos and you will find a picture of the building).

The World Ship Society have a book detailing the history of WHSN written by my neighbour and it makes very interesting reading of an "upper class" (my opinion) North East Coast Tramp outfit (of which there were many) that gave me a start in what was subsequently to prove a successful career at sea.

Wiping a tear from my eye....

If you want to talk to my about it drop me a line

Aye

Pat Thompson

Burned Toast
25th January 2008, 19:42
They had a good name so did Allan Blacks - Stag Line -Headlams to name but a few.

robs audi
25th January 2008, 19:44
many years ago before i went to sea, about 20 years, i used to live in hartlepool, and went to school in elwick road
a mile away. to be quiet honest, i couldent fault the company, i think it was the captain a ER hanson, that had more to do with the situation. but it put a lot of semen off going back to sea. including me. plus those twats in the pool office. pair of right dodgey buggers???

robs audi
25th January 2008, 19:57
oh yes, not to mention the dodgy cheif steward, forget his name, ordered crayfish from england via a airconditioned lorry, no wonder the company sold the fleet??

Pat Thompson
25th January 2008, 20:04
Greetings,

Robs Audi mon brave,

I presume you went to "Elwick Road School", which was one of the better ones in town. The Memsahib went there but sadly I was a Jessie sort of chap.

"Elwick Road School" was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for an Old Folks care home (The sublime to the ridiculous if you like)

Aye

Pat Thompson

robs audi
25th January 2008, 20:24
Greetings,

Robs Audi mon brave,

I presume you went to "Elwick Road School", which was one of the better ones in town. The Memsahib went there but sadly I was a Jessie sort of chap.

"Elwick Road School" was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for an Old Folks care home (The sublime to the ridiculous if you like)

Aye

Pat Thompson

hi pat yes i went there, 1967 i remember we had to go to mealtimes over the road to some nissan type huts to eat our meals. i lived in clifton avenue, i went back there some years ago, were the school had been turned into a collage, or somthing, i now live in colchester essex, been here 31 years.

Pat Thompson
25th January 2008, 20:40
Greetings,

I just realised that a "Jessie sort of chap" could give some folks entirely the wrong idea. By "Jessie" I mean "Jesmond Road School", should have called it "Jezzie". I'm sure Robs Audi will know what I mean.

Robs, I reckon the nissan type huts were in the Burn Valley on the other side of Elwick Road anyway I'll sent you a photo of Elwick Road School as it now is and if you tell me what number Clifton Avenue you lived I'll send you a photo of that too.

Aye

Pat Thompson

robs audi
25th January 2008, 20:48
Greetings,

I just realised that a "Jessie sort of chap" could give some folks entirely the wrong idea. By "Jessie" I mean "Jesmond Road School", should have called it "Jezzie". I'm sure Robs Audi will know what I mean.

Robs, I reckon the nissan type huts were in the Burn Valley on the other side of Elwick Road anyway I'll sent you a photo of Elwick Road School as it now is and if you tell me what number Clifton Avenue you lived I'll send you a photo of that too.

Aye

Pat Thompson

hi pat i lived in a big house, that was divided into 4 flats, we lived in 56a clifton avenue, my farther worked on the new shopping centre at the time, behind bins, we lived there 3 years, remember going fishing off the docks at west hartlepool at that time, went swimming at a swimming pool near seaton creaw.

robs audi
25th January 2008, 20:50
hi pat i lived in a big house, that was divided into 4 flats, we lived in 56a clifton avenue, my farther worked on the new shopping centre at the time, behind bins, we lived there 3 years, remember going fishing off the docks at west hartlepool at that time, went swimming at a swimming pool near seaton creaw. photoes would be great mate. also remember playing in jackson park after school.

robs audi
25th January 2008, 20:54
thanks pat, i remember jesmond road school, i think i had a mate that went there? small world, brought back a few memories. rob

rkm
8th February 2008, 12:18
Hi Steve

Is your second name French by any chance.

I was On Lindenhall. Have a Suez picture somewhere. The ship was taken in black and white and just coloured in.

Contact me if you wish.

R

Mike S
8th February 2008, 23:14
Ah memories......
I lived in West Hartlepool from 1948 until 1955. We first lived in a rented house in Seaton Carew and then in The Oval up near Ward Jackson Park. Went to Rosebank school for a while and then was fired off to boarding school in Saltburn and then York. We arrived just after the big pit prop fire near the South Durham Steel & Iron Works and I can recall the match works going up in smoke later too.
Many happy memories of the place. Dad was Works Manager at Richardson's & Westgarth's at the time and I used to see lots of ships launched and engines on test. Did quite a few sneaky trips on the life boat too when on practice shouts.
Live out in Western Australia now and I took my Aussie wife back to see the place a few years ago. Amazed at the changes and I could not find my way around initially........they have cleaned all the soot off the buildings.
Anyone remember the old taxis back in the late forties and fifties?.....used to be Rolls Royces..ancient things from before the war. Never forget the things.
Ah memories and the smell of tar and fish down near the docks.....
Kippers for breakfast........man that was living.

Peter4447
8th February 2008, 23:54
Back in the early 60's I believe the Company had one of their ships on long term charter to an Indian company, I think it carried the name 'Jalastiltonhall'. Would she have sailed with a normal British crew during the time of her charter?
Peter4447(Thumb)

Pat Thompson
9th February 2008, 09:48
Greetings,

WHSN's Siltonhall was on charter to Scindia (I think I have the spelling right) on a time charter with option to buy. During that period she ws named "Jalasiltonhall" and had UK crew. At the end of the charter, around 1966 (ish) the option to buy was taken up and she became the "Jalagomati" (I think I have the spelling right) and presumably was crewed in accordance with Scindia's normal practice.

Aye

Pat Thompson

Peter4447
9th February 2008, 10:06
Very many thanks for that Pat - I assume she must have spent a very long time away from UK waters during that period.
Peter(Thumb)

Pat Thompson
9th February 2008, 11:28
Greetings again,

I had a shufti through my bits and pieces and came up with this about the Jalasiltonhall. It states that she is still in service but the book it was taken from is probably 1980s vintage, hope it helps.

The other picture is the WHSN Houseflag, a Saint Hilda's Cross.

Aye

Pat Thompson

Bill Davies
9th February 2008, 11:39
Any of you Guthie men sailed in the 'Hendonhall'??

robs audi
9th February 2008, 20:24
no, i dident thank god, had a boil on my **** once,:sweat:

robs audi
9th February 2008, 20:26
like all companies when i sailed with them they were only out to make money, ******** to the crew. managed to get the key to the cargo hold, we had a great time. lol.

2548hopw
26th February 2008, 23:47
Looking back I would sign up for WHSN again. I was 16 when I went off with them and only left because they folded while I was doing my 2nd mates ticket. Despite working long hard hours under 1st mate Bob Harris I learnt my trade the old way but properly. Most of my peers only went in the wheelhouse to clean the windows. These blokes actually taught me t drive !!!!!!

Larry Crowley
22nd March 2008, 03:00
Bill I sailed on the Hendonhall, several trips, '58 from memory, first trip to West Africa, second to the Gulf where she went on fire.

2548hopw
23rd March 2008, 22:50
Pat.. I would love to talk to somebody about this outfit. I loved my time with them and my fondest memories are of these times. If you want to contact, please (hopwoods.marshlane@hotmail.co.uk) send me a PM Regards Steve !

malcolmharrison
30th April 2008, 09:55
hi i was on the first trip in1975, on the new lindenhall, sailed from imingham, was suposed to be a 3month trip, so thats what they told me at the pool office, sailed to europe, aussy, then the gulf, terrible trip. in the gulf the ships air con broke down, we ran out of booze, ran out of ciggs, and the whole crew asked to be paid off. we were stuck off jedda for 3 months, with 200 other ships waiting to be unloaded. we got the union involed, they then said to the company, if we dident get sent home, the dockers in the uk, wouldent unload any vessal belonging to this company.. 2 weeks later, we were all told to pack our bags as there was another crew coming out to take our place, within 24 hours, the company charted a british airways jet to bring in new crew and send us home. we were not to see the other crew or make contact. we were put up in a hotel over night before we flew out next day, in total it was a nine month trip. this was my last trip in the merchant navy, i was not the only crew member to leave, others also said it was the worst trip they had ever done in 30 years. im glad this company dosent now exist, plus instead of being just a galley boy, i had to double up as messman as well, no extra pay. food was good but thats all. rant over now, rob,
I also Joined from the pool in August 1972 but it was Grantleyhall at Liverpool.
I and a fellow "virgin" Junior Engineer were also told its a 3 month trip!October 1973, 13 months later and one and a half circumnavigations later we paid off in Lisbon at dry dock, with the offer we could sign on again after 2 weeks leave!
We didnt take their kind offer up though i do look back on that time with a lot of happy memories, would'nt have missed it for anything. I do wonder what happened to all my old shipmates as I lost touch when I lost all their contact details.

waimea
1st May 2008, 11:11
Tied up in front of Grantlyhall in Townsville in January 1975. She had a English Bosun but the rest of the deck croud were Spanish

Alan McCarty
30th March 2009, 12:51
I served my time with WHSN company (1963-1967)I remember Doug Robinson,Peter Langley,Pat Thompson and a Charlie or Chas all were cadets whist I was there.
Am now living in San Pedro Costa Rica.
Since 1988 worked on the pax ships in Florida
Served on the Kepwickhall,Jalasiltonhall and Apsleyhall

john hardy
25th September 2011, 10:14
my first ship as jnr. engineer was the grantleyhall, did 2 x4 month trips from late 1970, early 1971. had an absolute ball, but did not get asked back after my second trip, this was obviously jealousy on the part of everyone else (nah, as the chief (geddes?) said, "you have the makings of a good engineer, but you're a bad drunk" ) would go back on her anytime, now i'm older and a little wiser.

Splinter16
21st October 2013, 13:22
Hi there, I see that this thread had not been written on for quite a few years, but I hope that ex WHSN employees still look back on here.
I joined the Lindenhall in Jeddah with a full crew because as was mentioned earlier the whole of the last crew asked to be sent home as they had been in port for 3 months waiting to be unloaded, well we were there for another 2 months before eventually being unloaded and we brought the ship back to dry dock in Falmouth.
Names really do escape me, I remember joining the ship with a classmate of mine from Gravesend called David Green I think from Norwich, then there was a steward called Paul who helped us sort our passports out in London, the deck crew were all from Somalia, other names that spring to mind were mainly nicknames, Suet (from Stanraer I think) Noddy, think he was a cook, and Ginger, he was an engineer.
After the Lindenhall I joined the Ardenhall in Singapore, if anybody remembers those days, please get in contact.

retfordmackem
22nd October 2013, 09:51
Naa Sand Dancers and Mackems, better crowd ?
Too true BT .