Autolycus

R651400
1st November 2006, 07:39
SN member Ruud has recently posted a superb picture of Autolycus in the gallery.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/38663

There seems to be some controversy over where and how these photographs were taken as similar shots appear in Ships in Focus "Blue Funnel Line."
Scousegit maintains Malacca Straits which could be correct judging by the hull paintwork, maybe outward bound before a Hong Kong scrub-up.
Could this be a BF commissioned shot because S-in-F shot of Centaur taken in the Malacca Straits is definitely aerial.
Any ideas?

Trevorw
1st November 2006, 20:05
She's obviously on a short run because the derricks are up - medium runs, we used to drop the for'd derricks to aid visibility. However, I don't think it's the Malacca Straits. She's too light for that. If she was outward bound, she would have only discharged at Penang and possibly Port Swettenham. If homeward bound, she would have been to either North China or Indonesia and be much more heavily laden than she is on this wonderful photograph. By the way, I don't think it was an aerial photo - possibly taken from a pilot boat?

R651400
4th November 2006, 07:35
By the way, I don't think it was an aerial photo - possibly taken from a pilot boat?
Interesting points on cargo and not Malacca Straits Trevorw.
The angle of the shot looks much higher than from a pilot boat.
My thoughts were, could two ships of similar size be passing that close?
Clarksons "BF Line" has similar shots almost as if taken in the same spot, some like Autolycus and others fully laden with derricks stowed as if for a deep sea voyage.

davewr
13th November 2006, 07:48
I have a similar photo of the Cardiganshire in Nov 1970. It was taken from a plane by a Company called Airfoto of Kuala Lumpur as we were sailing from Penang to Port Swettenham. Shortly after docking a rep came on board with pictures mounted in folders like 50s/60s wedding groups and others made up as greeting cards. I bought a batch and posted them home from Hong Kong as Xmas cards.
I remember calling into the Liverpool Bar in Penang, the owner seemed to have a lot of daughters - nice girls.

R651400
15th December 2006, 12:50
Thanks Dave, think that clears up the mystery of the picture location.
We always anchored off in Penang and I think this is one of the few ports where I went ashore no more than once.