Ship Hit By Bridge

Geordie 2
1st November 2006, 09:26
A strange title I know,but true,for those of you who have not seen the video, http://www.youtube.com/user/Sailor459. I hate to see any vessel come to greif,but this was totally unavoidable,

lakercapt
1st November 2006, 15:55
It was M/S Windoc belonging to N.M. Paterson & Sons of Thunder Bay.
The inquiry found that the bridge tender was at fault.
The Captain, third mate ran from the pilothouse while the wheelsman (quartermaster) lay down on the deck and the bridge just cleared hin.
There was a fire in the enginreroom as the exhaust gas boiler in the funnel set it off. Fuel from the garbage incinerator added to the woes,
She was going down the Welland Canal out of control and the anchors were let go. Did stop the way but alas put holes in the D/B tanks and shge grounded.
Was a total constructive loss and a fitting end to a poor laker converted from a deep sea ore carrier.
Terrible ship to manouver as she had a very small rudder and extremely slow steering gear.
Sailed her for several months but not at the time of this incident.

Frank P
1st November 2006, 18:28
That is some video, was there any injuries, on the ship or the bridge. It is strange that there is only one of the crew moving about.

Lakercapt, how many crew would there have been onboard her at that time.

Cheers Frank

Geordie 2
1st November 2006, 22:11
Hi Frank glad to say no injuries but a very close call.
The Windoc's wheelhouse and smokestack were sheared off, sparking a fire that prompted many people on board to jump into the water, according to witnesses. No one was seriously injured.

lakercapt
1st November 2006, 23:00
Windoc would have had a crew of 26 persons. (14 at time of accident as 12 crew members were ashore on temp leave while transitting canal this is a normal occurance for Canadian ships transitting canal)
None were injured by the collision nor the fire.
No-one jumped into the canal either.

benjidog
2nd November 2006, 05:15
We had a thread on this topic some while back:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4885

Regards,

Brian

Geordie 2
2nd November 2006, 10:12
We had a thread on this topic some while back:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4885

Regards,

Brian

Thanks for that Brian,missed that post.[=P] however sure there are a lot of newbies like myself that have not seen the video posted on 23rd Feb. just tried the link to the video on that thread and it dont seem to be working.

ed glover
2nd November 2006, 14:00
I believe the bridge operator was drunk at the time. I used to see the wreck on my way to St. Cathrines.
Ed Glover
Controlled drifting

John_F
2nd November 2006, 14:37
Thanks for that Brian,missed that post.[=P] however sure there are a lot of newbies like me that have not seen the video posted on 23rd Feb. just tried the link to the video on that thread and it dont seem to be working.
Geordie,
Google "Windoc video" & you'll get it.
Regards,
John F.

Geordie 2
2nd November 2006, 16:21
Thanks for that John

Alistair
22nd January 2007, 13:34
I have just watched the Video on the link given and i was gobsmacked, It is a wonder there were no serious injuries or worse.

Pat McCardle
22nd January 2007, 13:43
I saw a copy of this video a while back & I am very surprised no one was killed on the Bridge as they had only a split second, surely, to see the bridge coming down. Luck was on their side that day?

steviej
22nd January 2007, 14:22
Wow. What a lucky do. Glad to hear that no one was hurt. Suprising what you can find on youtube