Benattow

Paul Barford
2nd November 2006, 14:49
After reading comments by "fitlike", dug out some old photo's taken on the 'Attow in 1976, the trip before she was scrapped. We were broken down in Colombo and working on the boilers trying to stop the many soot leaks the ship was famous for.
For those who didn't know the ship, she was the former PSNC "Cuzco" and the story goes that the designers won some award for her design and getting the maximum amount of machinery in the minimum of space.
All in all,a health hazard by the end of her life, but a lot of fun !

Attached thumbs: Engineers' smoko, Colombo 1976
Stewart Knox 5/E, Ian Fraser 4/E, Jim ? 3/O in the former passengers lounge
Stand-by down below, Me 3/E left, Phil Allen 5/E, sitting at back is 1st Elect Andy ?

Dave Edge
3rd November 2006, 04:48
She was one of three ships being built by for Mollers to revive their Lancashire Shipping Company's round the world service but the changed political situation in China meant it wouldn't be viable and the ships were sold. "Penrith Castle" was delivered by Blyth Dockyard (part of the Moller Group) in 1949 but sold to Ben Line in 1951 and renamed "Benmohr", "Thurland Castle", also building at Blyth, was sold on the stocks and became "Cuzco"and the "Bolton Castle, being built by Stephens, was sold on the stocks to Blue Star and became "Dunedin Star".

Fa's that?
17th March 2007, 16:07
After reading comments by "fitlike", dug out some old photo's taken on the 'Attow in 1976, the trip before she was scrapped. We were broken down in Colombo and working on the boilers trying to stop the many soot leaks the ship was famous for.
For those who didn't know the ship, she was the former PSNC "Cuzco" and the story goes that the designers won some award for her design and getting the maximum amount of machinery in the minimum of space.

Stand-by down below, Me 3/E left, Phil Allen 5/E, sitting at back is 1st Elect Andy ?

Hi Paul

My first voyage was on the Benattow starting in mid 1975 and ending at Liverpool on the 3rd Jan 1976. I also remember the dreaded soot blowing on the 'attow, complete with goggles, big gloves and lashings of muslin cloth wrapped around the neck. One job we ( junior engs. ) were given by the 2nd eng. was to replace a soot blower valve,which had been in place since the ship was built. We had to drill out the bolts which had become part of the flange. I also remember sailing through the red sea, southbound, with engine room temps. of 128F by the manoeuvring platform , 140F lowest level and 150+F above the boilers. Away from the eng. room, one of my best memories was the Xmas 1975 meal and Thursday nights when the Chinese cooks served up King prawn and chips, nobody missed that meal. We also had great runs ashore throughout the far east.

ps. The guy on the left in the lounge is DEREK DUNN 4/eng. who I sailed with on that voyage, also PHIL ALLEN was the 6/eng.

Fa's that ?

jtss
20th March 2007, 12:18
The 'Attow was my first "deep-sea" ship in 1974~75. My memory will always be of bodies strewn about the deck at smoko, particularly the morning one. All round the Far East coast, the bodies appeared spreadeagled with a "livener" clutched in one hand. I found out why yesterday when I was searching for homework material for my grandson and found the postcards of the 'Attow as well as a couple of photos. Regrettably, the quality has deteriorated over the last 30+ years or I'd attach. I did recognise Peter Herron 3/E and Ally Poole 5/E tho' in typical position. I was always glad I was a sparky(==D)

Ali Bain
20th March 2007, 16:56
I joined the 'Attow for a coast on the 3rd. Jan. 76 and met a few of you lads then I think. It was a typical enjoyable coast as I remember. After that I did coast and voyage on the 'Albanach (steamer) and then I must have upset someone as I ended up on the box boats, but enough has already been said about them..!!!
Aye, there's still a few Ben boat men on the go yet, I think we were a very lucky generation, even if it was the end of an era we saw.
Ali. Bain.

fitlike
5th April 2007, 18:17
Fit Like Fa's That
I joined the the Ben Attow In Germany July 1975 and paid off 3rd Jan 1976 in Liverpool as a first trip deck boy, we were all up road for a few drams on the 2nd and it was a real bad night, the pub we were drinking in a slate flew off the roof and hit the taxi driver, that was some trip we got a week's extra wage for going through the suez cannel because it was a war zone, it opened my eyes a young loon fae the Broch having a few week in Bangkok plus the rest of the Far East. I wish I was there now
Eric Cardno

Paul Barford
4th June 2007, 09:52
Hi Paul

My first voyage was on the Benattow starting in mid 1975 and ending at Liverpool on the 3rd Jan 1976. I also remember the dreaded soot blowing on the 'attow, complete with goggles, big gloves and lashings of muslin cloth wrapped around the neck. One job we ( junior engs. ) were given by the 2nd eng. was to replace a soot blower valve,which had been in place since the ship was built. We had to drill out the bolts which had become part of the flange. I also remember sailing through the red sea, southbound, with engine room temps. of 128F by the manoeuvring platform , 140F lowest level and 150+F above the boilers. Away from the eng. room, one of my best memories was the Xmas 1975 meal and Thursday nights when the Chinese cooks served up King prawn and chips, nobody missed that meal. We also had great runs ashore throughout the far east.

ps. The guy on the left in the lounge is DEREK DUNN 4/eng. who I sailed with on that voyage, also PHIL ALLEN was the 6/eng.

Fa's that ?
Sorry Fa's that,
it's definitely Ian Fraser, Derek Dunn I also sailed with on the 'Lomond,he was 5/Er at the time,I was 4/E and remember the bag-pipes well!
Ian, I later met when he was first triip 2/E on the 'Cruchan.
cheers
Paul

mliddle
8th June 2007, 16:55
Fit Like Fa's That
I joined the the Ben Attow In Germany July 1975 and paid off 3rd Jan 1976 in Liverpool as a first trip deck boy, we were all up road for a few drams on the 2nd and it was a real bad night, the pub we were drinking in a slate flew off the roof and hit the taxi driver, that was some trip we got a week's extra wage for going through the suez cannel because it was a war zone, it opened my eyes a young loon fae the Broch having a few week in Bangkok plus the rest of the Far East. I wish I was there now
Eric Cardno

Hallo Eric, Remember you well, Attow was my first Ben [done 4 trips in her] great crew, L. KASE, JIMMY LOUGH., WILLY FENNEY, WILLY[STINKY] CLARK, IAN [FEEJEY]THEMAN,just to mention a few. It was some voyage,those days will never come back .Best regards, MARTIN LIDDLE

Paul Barford
9th June 2007, 16:05
Martin,
how the hell are you? Remember me, Paul and wife Linda? Are you still in the Hull area?
All the best

fitlike
10th June 2007, 03:30
It's great to hear from you, I was just talking about you a few weeks ago, I was having a couple of pints with Robert Easdale, We were all around the Far East, we had a great night,
Eric Cardno

the_biffy
26th March 2009, 23:31
hi... do you know what Stewart Knox is doing these days? I'd love to get in touch with him again!!

tam fairweather
24th September 2009, 05:46
Just found this site and when i saw the name Paul Barford it took me back to some happy days on the Benattow,also remembered a little bump into a lamppost in your Ford Capri,I think we were going to Linda's Mums at the time.
Anyway i'm working offshore on the drillship Stena drillmax anchored off Rio.
The Lecky in the photo was Arthur Baker i think,i seem to remember Ronnis Swinbanks calling him masterbaker all the time.
I still see Peter Sneddon and keep intouch with Derek Dunn.
Cheers Tam

Clif Bell
30th September 2009, 14:38
Just found this site and when i saw the name Paul Barford it took me back to some happy days on the Benattow,also remembered a little bump into a lamppost in your Ford Capri,I think we were going to Linda's Mums at the time.
The Lecky in the photo was Arthur Baker i think,i seem to remember Ronnis Swinbanks calling him masterbaker all the time.
Cheers Tam

That was not the only little bump you took part in Tam.Remember kissing the 'storm bar' at the top of the Attows stairwell from the Engroom.The result you lost your front teeth! I was coasting with you and next up the stairwell - keep smiling, Cliff Bell

Paul Barford
21st October 2009, 20:43
(Thumb) Hi Tam
it's been a few years eh? Just now writing this in Dubai Airport having just completed a three month trip on an LNG ship (in my gallery).
Give my best regard to Pete and have been in touch a few years ago with the D finger (Derek).
Happy memories of those days, sea life now is **** just waiting to retire.
cheers,
Paul
Cheers Tam

Paul Barford
27th October 2009, 18:48

!st. Electrician was Arthur Baker....thanks Tam, the brain cells are getting old (what few remain!)(Thumb)