BP boss gets the axe

rushie
2nd November 2006, 14:47
Hi,

Steve Marshall, head of the Alaskan operations division has been fired due to the problems that happened earlier this year with production, spills etc...notably the Prudhoe Bay shutdown.

The share prices have risen significantly due to the announcement.

Rushie.

gdynia
2nd November 2006, 15:03
Rushie
He will pop up somewhere else in the orginization

rushie
2nd November 2006, 15:21
Gdynia,

I'm sure he will. I remember when my dad lost loads of money in the Railtrack share scandal when he worked as a Master for BP....who turned up as Chairman of BP...Gerald Corbett....failed and disgraced ex Railtrack Chairman. My old man never disliked many people...but.....

Rushie

ChiefCharles
2nd November 2006, 16:46
You were sure right Rushie!! I found this on the internet after reading your posting.

"Marshall will go on to take the post of vice president of operations development, as well as lead BP's new training facility, known as its Operations Academy. It is still unclear if Marshall's new post will keep him in Anchorage."

Frank P
2nd November 2006, 16:59
When directors of companies get fired for bad management (doing a bad job) they usually get mammoth golden handshakes very good pension payouts. When one of the normal empoyees gets fired for doing a bad job, they receive (deservedly) very little.

Why is there such a big difference.

Frank

ChiefCharles
2nd November 2006, 17:01
Rushie,
How right you are. I found this on the internet after reading your posting.

"Marshall will go on to take the post of vice president of operations development, as well as lead BP's new training facility, known as its Operations Academy. It is still unclear if Marshall's new post will keep him in Anchorage."

richardc
2nd November 2006, 20:04
You need to be aware of the infamous Rule No. 1 regarding career advancement.

Rule No. 1
To obtain certain promotion to higher paid and senior management posts in no circumstances show any aptitude for your job. Promotion is more likely if a reasonable level of incompetence is shown, especially if the main phrase in your vocabulary is "Yes".

The theory being that no manager in his right mind will ever promote anyone who is good at their job as the chances of finding a like replacement are about zero!!

Thats my theory, but perhaps I'm just cynical.

Richard.

rushie
3rd November 2006, 09:04
Richard,

You may be cynical....but you've hit the nail on the head....

Rushie

alastairjs
3rd November 2006, 13:44
Sadly, I agree with you both. In my second incarnation as a manager in BT it was regrettably common for the incompetent to be promoted just to get rid of them. Things improved the further we got from being part of the Civil Service but old Spanish customs die hard! Eventually the happy souls in HR came up with a system which meant you could actually fire people for being useless, labourious though it was. HR then allocated one of their own to ensure that the person being fired had their interests fully protected; I sometimes think looking around me now that they were a bit ahead of their time!
Regards,
Alastair

Frank P
4th November 2006, 06:06
Thanks for that first hand account Alistair. Today I believe that it is quite common for incompetent managers to surround themselves with "advisors", I wonder why?

cheers Frank

PollY Anna
4th November 2006, 17:02
Somebody has to tell them how to do their Job, and I reckon that goes all the way up!!!!!

Keltic Star
5th November 2006, 03:52
Thanks for that first hand account Alistair. Today I believe that it is quite common for incompetent managers to surround themselves with "advisors", I wonder why?

cheers Frank

Our government people always hire consultants before making a decision. If the deal goes sour, it was bad advice from the consultants and ensures the silly servant remains Teflon coated.

Nick Jones
5th November 2006, 07:09
Many are promoted to their level of incompetence, and many go on to prove that fact.

Cheers,
Nick Jones