Captain George Buckenham - BP Shipping (Merged Thread)

Jim S
2nd November 2006, 20:57
Some of the BP Shipping guys may have known Capt George Buckenham a former senior master with BP Shipping who died last Friday (27th Oct 2006)aged 76.
He started as a deck apprentice with British Tanker Company in 1947.
Transferring to BP Exploration in Aberdeen in the 1970's and involved in the challenging offshore oil activities. Retiring in 1985 he continued in a consultancy capacity until 1995. Originally from Essex he moved to Aberdeen 32 years ago.

Fraserbetts
25th November 2006, 10:11
worked for George in Dyce from 81 to 86. One of the best; anyone heard from the others up there at the time; Dennis, Len, Malcolm, George, Mike and a few others and of course Stuart - his partner at the time made the most incredible pavlovas; anyone remember?

luigi
14th April 2007, 08:41
Sorry for the belated reply - I've only just joined the forum.

I seem to recall that George's initials were L.G. - the L standing for Lenny?

I sailed as Deck Cadet with him on the Inventor in '73, which was just after he returned from his Exploration stint.

He was one of the best Masters I ever sailed with and my fondest memory of him was when he answered the phone in a broad Essex accent with the words "Yes (pronounced "Yis") - Old Man 'ere".........!

Regards,

Paul.

paul0510
14th April 2007, 23:34
'ere, Fraser, were you U3O on the Osprey in '67? Remember Derek Avenell and myself? Master was, I do believe, CAE Jones.

Georgeallan
20th April 2007, 14:00
Was one of George's "crew" in BPX from 1978 up until his retirement. Attended funeral and most of the old gang were there too. Bob MacLeod made an excellent job of the eulogy and gave him a good send-off. Stuart was also there, Fraser. Going to have to stop meeting him at funerals!

barnsey
4th May 2007, 12:48
Frazer Betts .... a name from the past .... I have a photo of you ... unfortunately its on a slide at present..... David Barnes here we were on British Swift nearly 40 years ago !!!!!!... aka ...Barnsey.

Its about time I posted my list of Deck officers... attached, I hope .. so sorry I never recorded the engineers too .... but the bit of Chart was cut to fit the Nories tables and so there was no room ... Im so glad I did what I did.

Dennis Rudd was on my next ship and I have recently been in touch with him by e-mail ... bloody larakin he was .... a collector of Swedish parking meters and proficient at bending wheels of Swedish Push bikes whilst under the influence of Rum Punch.

Stuart seems as irrepressible as ever and is in our e-mail group of Old Salts.

So G'idday to you all....

Barnsey

Fraserbetts
13th May 2007, 09:49
Hi Barnsey, 40 years ago, blimey, you've got a good system there; I dont remember the Swift; Merlin (twice), Forties Kiwi and Osprey yes. I lost all my records some time ago so working from memory. Joined as app in 63, first ship Freedom, then Statesman, Beech, Chivalry, Reliance, Vigilance, Glory, Argosy, Admiral, Explorer (new out of Japan), London office 76, Dyce in 80, left in 91.

barnsey
15th May 2007, 10:23
S'all right Frazer .... to some it comes early .... stick with us older types we will look afater you ... I can assure you you were on the Swift, I'll look on my discharge book for the exact date ... you must have been a fairly new boy then. We were on the buoys off Grain for a couple of days and then off to Aarhus and Fredericia....
Hope I'll get the photos off the slides soon ...

David Barnes

offcumdum sanddancer
15th May 2007, 12:16
worked for George in Dyce from 81 to 86. One of the best; anyone heard from the others up there at the time; Dennis, Len, Malcolm, George, Mike and a few others and of course Stuart - his partner at the time made the most incredible pavlovas; anyone remember?

Was that Stuart McCullough, Fraser?

paul0510
15th May 2007, 12:20
David (Barnsey),
could you enlarge that list of yours? Can hardly read it and would be of great interest to me!
Thanks, mate.

Fraserbetts
15th May 2007, 14:45
Was that Stuart McCullough, Fraser?

Stuart leFevre - one of Ronnies cohorts in big panic house and later in Dyce.

Fraserbetts
15th May 2007, 14:52
S'all right Frazer .... to some it comes early .... stick with us older types we will look afater you ... I can assure you you were on the Swift, I'll look on my discharge book for the exact date ... you must have been a fairly new boy then. We were on the buoys off Grain for a couple of days and then off to Aarhus and Fredericia....
Hope I'll get the photos off the slides soon ...

David Barnes

Come on David, some names please or other clues!

Fraser

patbuckenham
10th June 2007, 15:50
I have just been told of this web site and would be pleased to hear from anyone who sailed with my husband between1946 and 1974 prior to him coming up to Aberdeen in December of 1974. He was a senior Master with BP Tanker Co. Sadly he passed away on 27th October 2006.

Pat Buckenham

non descript
10th June 2007, 16:14
Pat, a warm welcome to you. I am sorry to hear of your sad loss, but thank you for joining the community; please enjoy the site and I hope it brings you happy results in your quest, and we very much look forward to your postings with positive news. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
10th June 2007, 16:50
Welcome aboard, Pat.
We have a large and lively BP contingent so you will probably get some speedy responses.
Meanwhile enjoy the trip.

benjidog
10th June 2007, 20:00
Welcome Pat and I am sorry to hear of your sad loss.

I am sure that our members will do what they can to help you contact your husband's former colleagues.

Regards,

Brian

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 06:24
Pat,

My deepest condolences too.

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey.
There are indeed many BP and ex-BP members of Shipsnostalgia and I will be most surprised if someone isn't able to share some memories with you. (Thumb)

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 06:31
Pat,

I hope you don't mind, but I've re-titled your thread in the hope that your husband's name may catch someone's eye!

R58484956
11th June 2007, 12:06
Greetings Pat and welcome to SN. Plenty of ex BP lads on here. Bon voyage.

patbuckenham
11th June 2007, 12:08
Many thanks for the new title
Pat

gdynia
11th June 2007, 12:42
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

John Campbell
11th June 2007, 16:51
Some of the BP Shipping guys may have known Capt George Buckenham a former senior master with BP Shipping who died last Friday (27th Oct 2006)aged 76.
He started as a deck apprentice with British Tanker Company in 1947.
Transferring to BP Exploration in Aberdeen in the 1970's and involved in the challenging offshore oil activities. Retiring in 1985 he continued in a consultancy capacity until 1995. Originally from Essex he moved to Aberdeen 32 years ago.

George's widow Pat has joined SN yesterday and will be happy to hear from you all.
JC

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 19:34
Pat,

Good news, there is already a thread dedicated to your husband.

Have a look here. (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=8541)

Hopefully you will get some Private Messages from members soon.

Thanks to John Campbell for re-opening the original thread.

I will merge the two threads in a day or two. (Thumb)

barnsey
13th June 2007, 07:33
Fraser ..... just catching up on some threads and came across this one from you ... you/we were on the "Swift" 22 July 1963, I jopined on the buoys in Grain and we did a trip to Aarhus and Fredericia to 12th September 1963 when we must have taken her to drydock in that place where they make godawfull BRAHN ALE !! The Master was P Payne according to the discharge book.

Barnsey

Gulpers
13th June 2007, 11:20
As previously indicated, I've merged the original thread and Mrs Buchenham's request for information from her "Hello" message on 10 June.

Let's hope our present and ex BP members will be able to share some memories with her. (Thumb)

I have sent a PM to Mrs Buckenham advising her of the merged thread's location.

patbuckenham
13th June 2007, 18:46
Many thanks for your help.
Pat Buckenham

Fraserbetts
17th June 2007, 11:05
Hi Barnsey - been away in Shanghai & Hong Kong. Just got your message. I must admit I dont remember anything of that trip (remaining brain cell is incredibly overworked); but the buoys at Grain ring a bell. I am at a disadvantage as I dont have my records here in China and the missus cant lay her hands on them at home; I'll be there end of July, so I can maybe recall the details then. Saw your list - very good but too small to read.
fraser

promar
19th June 2007, 17:58
Sorry for the belated reply - I've only just joined the forum.

I seem to recall that George's initials were L.G. - the L standing for Lenny?

I sailed as Deck Cadet with him on the Inventor in '73, which was just after he returned from his Exploration stint.

He was one of the best Masters I ever sailed with and my fondest memory of him was when he answered the phone in a broad Essex accent with the words "Yes (pronounced "Yis") - Old Man 'ere".........!

Regards,

Paul.
Just received the SN newsletter which prompted me to revisit the site after a prolonged absence
L stood for Lesley

Its really good to see Pat Buckenham joining the "community"

What a surprise to see Fraser Betts suddenly emerging from the proverbial Chinese woodwork!
We (the Dyce crowd)wondered had become of you Fraser - noted your recent articles in Seaways.
Regards to all
Jeremy Procter

Fraserbetts
21st June 2007, 11:07
Hi Jeremy - here here to Pat's joining. Good to hear some familiar names around. Plan to be out of here in July. Also planning to visit N of the border some time afterwards
regards to all there