Scanner Glass Cleaning

Richard Green
2nd November 2006, 21:42
I've had a Dell A10 A940 all-in-one printer unit for more than a year now and the underside of the glass of the scanner has developed a bloom on it that I'm sure is affecting the quality of my scans. I can tell by the fact that there is a clear streak down the middle of the glass where part of the scanning light housing rubs on it. My question is has anyone had the same or similar problem and is it possible to get at the galss to clean it? Any tips would be useful...

treeve
2nd November 2006, 22:34
If the light housing has cored the glass, there isn't much you can do, but it may just have a deposit of the housing surface left on the underside of the glass. It is usually a simple matter to get at the interior and remove the glass. However, the scanner mechanism is delicate, so make sure you don't touch the light or wires with a bare hand ( acids in the skin ). The glass can be cleaned with isopropyl alchohol, buffed ( make sure you use a very soft material - such as spectacle cloth or cotton wool ), again be careful not to touch anything when you put it back togather again. I should, however, investigate the reasons why the housing rubs against the glass, in the first place, and try and sort that. I guess a service would be prohibitive in terms of cost in relation to the cost of the machine.

ray1buck1
4th November 2006, 08:16
Hi
I have a Agfa Touch Scan which developes a bloom Possiblt from the geat of the lamp , I manage to dismantle it to clean it, no bother
Ray

Doug H
4th November 2006, 08:39
I'm going though exactly the same trouble with my scanner which is an HP psc 2500 photosmart series all-in-one scanner/printer/fax. The "bloom" is definitely on the underside of the glass and I had decided I'd have a go next week to see if it's not too difficult to get at it.

Phill
4th November 2006, 11:33
I had similar problems with an old Lexmark X83 scanner, what appeared to be an oily scum under the screen, was told politely to dump it , buy a new one and move it away from the radiator and the window, for the last year Iíve been using a Lexmark P4350 away from the heat source and window with excellent results, good scan, good photos, cheap cartridges and a cheap price of £50

Phill

John_F
4th November 2006, 13:19
I'm going though exactly the same trouble with my scanner which is an HP psc 2500 photosmart series all-in-one scanner/printer/fax. The "bloom" is definitely on the underside of the glass and I had decided I'd have a go next week to see if it's not too difficult to get at it.
Doug,
I have an HP 2410 all in one with the same problem. Can't be a lot of difference between the models. Not being that practical I would be very interested to hear how you get on & how easy or difficult it is to remove. When I phoned HP about it they said it would have to go to a service agent. I've done nothing so far.
Kind regards,
John F.

gwzm
4th November 2006, 14:38
Hi,

I have an old HP Scanjet 2100C which I've had to clean. A mixture of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water applied with a soft cloth does the trick no bother. You just need to be careful not to touch any of the electronic/moving parts or the glass with greasy fingers.

All the best,

John/gwzm

benjidog
4th November 2006, 17:39
I am intrigued to understand the cause of this problem as I have had scanners since they became readily available and have never had this problem. At first I thought it was one off fault with a particular machine but judging from the feedback on this thread it seems quite common.

Maybe you guys are all smoking old rope in the room with the scanner in. ;)

Regards,

Brian

Richard Green
4th November 2006, 18:28
Thanks very much for all the tips. The glass is definitely not scored and I don't smoke but the unit is near a window. I will try to get at the underside of the glass and see if I can't clean it. I'll let you know how I get on....

treeve
4th November 2006, 20:07
I have ( and still have ) three scanners, never had a problem.
but I did have two photocopiers that developed the type of
discolouration described - I was given the tips by a service
engineer, so I would not need to pay out for "just a clean".

rxter
6th November 2010, 18:55
hp psc 2500 - i was able to take the top glass off to clean underneath. There are allen screws on each corner. The 2 on the right side are under the control panel. You'll have to remove the control panel first. Pop off the button cover by prying with a very small flat screw driver under the front lip. They simply slide the entire control panel aft and it will come out of tabs.

Good luck.

makko
6th November 2010, 19:48
All good advice - Isopropyl Alcohol, known also as de-natured alcohol is the cure. Make sure, as mentioned, that their are no sources of ionized dust, such as radiators, heaters etc. nearby.
Best Regards,
Dave

rxter
7th November 2010, 13:42
hp psc 2500 - i was able to take the top glass off to clean underneath. There are allen screws on each corner. The 2 on the right side are under the control panel (red circles). You'll have to remove the control panel first. Simply slide the entire control panel aft and it will come out of tabs (orange circles).

Then you can get under the glass and clean it.

Good luck.

Adding a few pics.

BTW odd to find this thread on a forum about old ships. About the closest I've ever come to the topic of this forum is several 21 foot fishing, skiing, and family boats that we have all enjoyed.

The internet is a wild and wonderful place.... I hope this helps someone with a similar problem with an aging printer some day.

Bon voyage!

Blackal
13th November 2010, 18:12
I had a similar problem with my old flatbed scanner (Epson 1240) and cleaned it reasonably successfully using a damp microfibbre cleaning cloth. They are great for all types of glass.

I had a look at what scanners were now available on the market and found that there are hardly any - you have to buy a multi-function machine (printer, copier, fax, scanner) - bought a Canon MX860 and love it.

It also includes a sheet feeder as well as the flatbed - not such great scan quality, but is great for multi-sheet copies or scans. works on networks by cable or wi-fi too :)

Al

Blackal
16th December 2010, 11:24
pure spam

andysk
18th December 2010, 22:18
Try Googling for Yahoo user groups for your model and/or make of scanner.

I have an Epson 4990, their Yahoo group has covered this subject in some detail, with drawings and diagrams etc

Cheers

Andy