HMS London & Coventry

Tmac1720
3rd November 2006, 16:26
An interesting article appeared in todays Daily Express (3rd Nov) regarding the sale of two ships to the Romanian navy. According to the article the frigates HMS London & HMS Coventry were sold as scrap to BAE for £200,000 who then resold them to the Romanian navy for £116 million. The article states the serious fraud squad have been called in to investigate the deal with suggestions of "kickbacks" of several million pounds going to British and Romanian officials. Apparently the head of the Romanian navy has been reported as saying they could have bought new Dutch built vessels for less and while the British second hand ships are "all right" their maintenance costs are far too expensive. From this story it would seem that Arthur Daily is alive and well and working for BAE.

gdynia
3rd November 2006, 16:29
Hell of a deal though Oul Hand was that with or without Sluice Valves

Tmac1720
3rd November 2006, 16:38
Aye Nev, no bad for an afternoons work on E bay(Jester) Nae the sluice valve were extra tae contract and wuz part 'o the spare gear order(Thumb)
I could have done with the guy who negotiated that deal when I was tryin' to sell my car(Jester)

gdynia
3rd November 2006, 16:44
So Ive got a good chance offloading last years Fork Lift

Tmac1720
3rd November 2006, 16:46
Aye but only if you leave the turbo on it and the go faster stripes(Jester)