Color On Benledi?

hasse neren
3rd November 2006, 16:54
Hi again from Sweden,
a question to all of you Ben Boat sailers.
Whats the color on the deck, the shades of the green and gray on hull on M.V. BENLEDI (VI).
Need your help,
regards Hasse.

wully farquhar
4th November 2006, 14:27
Sorry Hasse,i am not very good with colours,grey is grey and green is green,i am sure someone will help.

hasse neren
4th November 2006, 19:01
Sorry Hasse,i am not very good with colours,grey is grey and green is green,i am sure someone will help.
Thanks wully farguhar for the reply, mayby your right "grey is grey and green is green" why make a problem about this. Nice to get an answer from a ben boat sailor, myself i was on the Johnson Line in the 70s.
Maybe its time to get a Johnson Line tread, any coments on that?
Hasse.

Willie Mac
4th November 2006, 19:07
Hi Hasse
I think the deck was originally black although it looks a dirty kind of grey in the photo.

EBenarty
4th November 2006, 19:36
The decks were International Deck Green and the hull was light grey. Sorry I cannot remember the codes.
Billy

Roddy Munro
5th November 2006, 20:29
Any of the Bens I was on had their main decks painted black,could have been some sort of tar.Spent many hours with a chipping hammer on them.From there on up prom,boat,and bridge decks were painted green.The superstructure,masts posts etc were painted ben line buff.Over the side shade of grey I dont recall as that was done by the hong kong shore gang.Hope this helps you out Hasse.
Roddy Munro.

hasse neren
6th November 2006, 10:15
To Willie Mac, EBenarty and Roddy Munro, thank´s to you all. Someday in the future my Benledi model would be finished. And all of you in this forum that being to great help to me with this inf. is going to have a part of the result of my model.
Thank´s again to you all. Hasse.

celsis
6th November 2006, 13:25
If I remember rightly, the grey colour was simply known (and labelled) as Ben Line Grey.

Fred Wood
8th November 2006, 15:58
Hi Hasse
I think the deck was originally black although it looks a dirty kind of grey in the photo.

Willie Mac,

Looking at your photo, could you explain what the stump is in the foreground just right of centre - it looks like a chopped off mast, complete with derrick running off from it.

Fred Wood

hasse neren
8th November 2006, 18:13
Willie Mac,

Looking at your photo, could you explain what the stump is in the foreground just right of centre - it looks like a chopped off mast, complete with derrick running off from it.

Fred Wood
Yes that´s true, looking at other pictures of Benledi it scould be a second mast right there.
I´m curious to Fred, why the mast is missing in this photo.

Here is a link, for you that haven´t already been there. www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/ben.asp

Willie Mac
8th November 2006, 20:39
Hi Fred and Hasse

If you go the Ben Line Forum and scroll down to the Benledi posting (with the stars beside it) which I put on a while back, it gives an explanation and a couple of photos of the incident.

Regards
Willie

Fred Wood
9th November 2006, 12:39
Thanks Willie...should have looked further down the page! As you say, fortunately no one got hurt.

hasse neren
9th November 2006, 15:23
I did the same as Fred, did not looked further.
Here is one question to you Willie or somebody else, what happend after the accident? Who take care of the repair of Benledi, how long did it take and who got the guilt to this? The story after?

EBenarty
24th November 2006, 21:44
Hasse,
The main decks were black bituiminum or on some of the newer ships signal green, accom. decks - signal green, hull- storm grey.
Billy

roymuir
25th November 2006, 06:15
Yes, that horrible bloody stuff was known as bitumastic. Many an hour did I spend on a "lawn mower" in a cloud of black dust on the foredeck of "Benlomond" before learning to burn out the motor by putting it over an eyebolt and starting it up. Then the thing had to spend a couple of days in the engineroom getting sorted out. A reprieve, then back into it again. The 'leckie never could work out what was causing it! The bitumastic actually burnt you, Christ knows what was in it? Certainly did the job though!

Bearsie
25th November 2006, 10:21
Benledi was my first Revell Model, the very first was the Icebreaker Lenin in paper.
I have a picture of her here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/ress3y0n/id24.html
But its a side view only since it was made for the game Ports of Call.

I googled different ways to find examples with the right colors.

Bitumastic must have been a delight to most sailors under any flag!
We used it too on german ships.
I think the main ingredient was some sort of coal tar, which makes very fine hard chips, thats what burns ...
Essentially harmless but very uncomfortable

hasse neren
25th November 2006, 13:08
Hi again.
This is getting better and better, i got so many pictures and information now, thank´s to my one searching on the www, and all the help from people in this forum. I found my Revell: Benledi model on the E.bay yesterday, the kit was hard to find, but now i got one.
I still need your help, dont have any good pic, of the superstructure and is it an different color on the funnel to the rest of buff colour?
Thank´s again to you all, Hasse.

roymuir
26th November 2006, 04:43
Yes Hasse, the Ben line funnel was yellow. Not buff.

hasse neren
26th November 2006, 09:11
Thank´s Roymuir.

Roddy Munro
30th November 2006, 16:58
Hasse if you are still not sure of Ben Line colours,try www.merchant-navy.net go into pics of ships,follow down to Bens,and go for Benalbanach.The colours in that photo are spot on.
Happy painting.

hasse neren
1st December 2006, 07:41
That´s funny Roddy, Benalbanach is the ship that i´m going rebuild the Benledi model to look like. I guess they did look the same in the real. I like the name Benalbanach still i don´t know in Swedish what the name means.
Thank´s for the colour info Roddy,
Hasse.

wully farquhar
1st December 2006, 15:48
hasse, All Ben-line ships are named after Scottish mountains,eg.Ben Nevis

hasse neren
1st December 2006, 19:13
hasse, All Ben-line ships are named after Scottish mountains,eg.Ben Nevis

This little plastic ship model in 1/480 scale of Benledi is begining to be special to my. I was at sea when i was young, i have all my life beinto the sea and ships and i have building smal ships models whole my life. But i have never get so much info. and storys from the people that sail on, or on sisterships to the models that i build.
When im doing this model im going to think of all the help that you all in this forum have given me, and with respect to all you Ben boat sailers and others, try to do this little lady to the best model i have ever made.
Regards Hasse.