Down The plughole

Richard Green
4th November 2006, 17:58
I wonder idf anyone noticed this article in Friday's Telegraph...The last line may explain why Govt. investment in keeping the Navy up to strength has not perhaps been what it should be...

"Sheffield's crew are blamed for Exocet hit
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

A report into the sinking of the destroyer Sheffield with the loss of 20 crew during the Falklands War was released for the first time by the Ministry of Defence yesterday.

Its 3,000 pages of evidence concluded that the sailors failed to keep a suitable watch or take effective measures to prevent the ship being hit by an Exocet missile fired by Argentine jets.

The Navy board of inquiry said if all the right reactions had been taken "very quickly indeed" it "might just have been possible to frustrate this determined and very professional attack".

On May 4 the destroyer, designed to ward off air attacks, was patrolling in waters off the Falklands to protect the task force's two vital aircraft careers."

Lindsay Bremner
4th November 2006, 19:09
I wonder idf anyone noticed this article in Friday's Telegraph...The last line may explain why Govt. investment in keeping the Navy up to strength has not perhaps been what it should be...

"Sheffield's crew are blamed for Exocet hit
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

A report into the sinking of the destroyer Sheffield with the loss of 20 crew during the Falklands War was released for the first time by the Ministry of Defence yesterday.

Its 3,000 pages of evidence concluded that the sailors failed to keep a suitable watch or take effective measures to prevent the ship being hit by an Exocet missile fired by Argentine jets.

The Navy board of inquiry said if all the right reactions had been taken "very quickly indeed" it "might just have been possible to frustrate this determined and very professional attack".

On May 4 the destroyer, designed to ward off air attacks, was patrolling in waters off the Falklands to protect the task force's two vital aircraft careers."

That just about sums up politicians, blame the dead guys. Never mind the fact that the CIWS that should have been fitted to the destroyer was delayed due to cost cutting. It seems to me that it's ok for politicians to make mistakes that cost service personnel their lives.

benjidog
5th November 2006, 00:22
That's an interesting argument.

I suppose you could blame JFK for being responsible for his own assassination by not moving out of the way of the sniper's bullet fast enough as well.(Cloud)

Bloody typical!

Brian

Hugh MacLean
6th November 2006, 14:38
Have a look at the full BOI Paper here:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9D8947AC-D8DC-4BE7-8DCC-C9C623539BCF/0/boi_hms_sheffield.pdf

Regards

william dillon
6th November 2006, 21:22
Very interesting reading.

benjidog
7th November 2006, 03:52
On Saturday last I visited the Admiral Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg Texas. The Americans have made a splendid memorial. I will post photos and a report before Nov 11 if possible. They certainly honour their servicemen over here more than we do in the UK.

Brian

Richard Green
7th November 2006, 08:02
Brian,
It seems that a degree of editing has operated here but it's not bad thing. I didn't want to start WWIII. Only a bit of facetiousness based on the misprint / bad proofreading / freudian slip in the last line of the article....