Blackthorn

Simonma
5th November 2006, 13:07
The former cargovessel "Blackthorn" (1960) owned by S. William Coe. & Co. Ltd. was rebuild to a mud carrier self unloader in 1976. She sailed as "Rudyard" and later as "Jane Sea" . In additions LR of 5-2000 she was reported to be broken up. Who knows where she was scrapped and does somebody has pictures? Simon

norman.r
5th November 2006, 16:09
I have posted a picture of Rudyard in the gallery.
Norman

repelsteeltje
5th January 2008, 15:56
Hi Simon, as far as I know the Jane Sea was scuttled at Barcadera reef (Aruba) by local dive operators in 1988. It's at a depth between 50 and 90 ft. and a great wreck to dive on. Story goes it was confiscated because cocaine was found on board when it was carrying cement between Venezuela and Aruba. Great story but I can't confirm it. I'm very curious how this vessel ended up in Aruba.

repelsteeltje
21st December 2008, 10:11
here's some additional info on the vessel:
The Jane Sea (call sign GGCH) arrived in September 1984 in Barcadera Harbor (Aruba) carrying a load of cement from Costa Rica. She was still registered in Shoreham (UK) but now owned by Deroche Enterprises Ltd. seated in Trinidad. During berthing in Barcadera harbor she experienced major engine trouble and shortly after she was abandoned by her entire crew. When harbor dues weren't paid an embargo was laid on the ship and when attempts to get in contact with the owner failed, the decision was made to lift the embargo in December 1987 and prepare the ship to become a dive object. She was scuttled on September 4, 1988 just south of Barcadera harbor.

BillH
21st December 2008, 11:17
The former cargovessel "Blackthorn" (1960) owned by S. William Coe. & Co. Ltd. was rebuild to a mud carrier self unloader in 1976. She sailed as "Rudyard" and later as "Jane Sea" . In additions LR of 5-2000 she was reported to be broken up. Who knows where she was scrapped and does somebody has pictures? Simon
From my records on Coe-Metcalf Shipping

BLACKTHORN
O. N. 301329. 749g. 368n. 1,035d. 189’ 6” x 33’ 10” x 12’ 9”
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (10” x 13”) Premier type engine made by Crossley Bros. Ltd., Manchester. 907 bhp

30.12.1959: Launched by N. V. Scheeps. “Westerbroek”, Westerbroek (Yard No. 157) for Thorn Line Ltd., (S. William Coe & Company Ltd., managers), Liverpool.

3.1960: Completed.

1965: Sold to S. William Coe & Company Ltd., Liverpool.

1976: Sold to Effluent Services Ltd, Macclesfield, and renamed RUDYARD.

1976: Sold to Robert Albert Edward Williams, and converted into a self-discharging mud carrier.

1980: Sold to Essandee Shipping Ltd, Shoreham, and renamed JANE SEA.

1983: Sold to De Roche Enterprises Ltd, Trinidad, retaining Shoreham registry.

9.1984: Arrived in Barcadera Harbor (Aruba) with a cargo of cement from Costa Rica. Subsequently abandoned in a damaged condition, and seized to recoup harbour dues.

11.1987: Sold to Ivan M. Tarr, (Marzhavelly & Sons, managers), Aruba.

1.1988: Scuttled as a dive site in 27 metres of water at Barcadera Reef in position 12.29N., 69.59W.

repelsteeltje
21st December 2008, 12:12
Bill, I'm a regular diver on the wreck of Jane Sea. Your records are impressive, if only I knew earlier. That would have saved me a lot of research. F.y.i: the source for the date of scuttling (September 4, 1988) are the archives of the Aruba Port Authority (APA).

BillH
21st December 2008, 12:58
Bill, I'm a regular diver on the wreck of Jane Sea. Your records are impressive, if only I knew earlier. That would have saved me a lot of research. F.y.i: the source for the date of scuttling (September 4, 1988) are the archives of the Aruba Port Authority (APA).
The January 1988 date was provided by a friend within Lloyd's Register Fairplay who regularly visits the Caribbean area on fact finding missions on vessels that "disappear from the radar" for whatever reason. That said, he does advise that on most cases the answers / dates could well be plus or minus months or even years, if he manages to find any info at all, so perhap that is the case here. I would presume the APA records should be accurate.

Bill

Duncan112
12th June 2013, 21:11
Tripped over this thread when I was looking fore something else and found this on my travels http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1668154

As Jane Sea she was being repaired at Everards Greenhithe wharf in 1981/2, she was owned by a Master from one of the oil majors (Chevron maybe) but the company is listed as dissolved on duedil

repelsteeltje
12th June 2013, 21:56
Duncan,

Thanks for your additional info. Should you be interested : here's the story as far as I have been able to piece together.

http://willemsubmerged.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/a-closer-look-at-the-jane-sea-update-may-2008/

Regards,

Duncan112
12th June 2013, 22:05
Thanks, some nice photos on your website