Posting links, how to?

stein
14th November 2006, 18:11
I've had a pc for some time, but theese url's that you just click the mouse on for to be transported to another website, I really don't know how you do produce that. Could it be so simple as to just write them down on the posting, and lo! the magick is there? Or is there more to it? Please help someone, I really don't want to fool everybody with a link that links nowhere. Stein

Bruce Carson
14th November 2006, 18:33
Hi Stein:
Go to the website you want to use and right click on the URL at the top of the page.
A drop down box will appear: click on "COPY".
You now have that address stored ready to be transferred.
Write your message in the forum and right click where specifically want the URL to appear on the page: click "PASTE" on the dropdown box that appears.
The URL will be written there, alive and ready to be used by whoever clicks on it when the message is posted.
I hope that makes sense. Don't be afraid to make a test run. If the above doesn't help, let the forum know and someone will give a more lucid explanation.

Bruce C

John Rogers
14th November 2006, 22:04
Bruce, I think he means how to make a link,I would like to know also. You described Copy and Paste,how about just a plain old link in the middle of the text.
John

benjidog
14th November 2006, 22:26
Hi there Stein,

I am not sure whether this affected by the editing mode you have set up in your profile, but you should see a row of buttons above where you are posting (in forums anyway). One of these looks a bit like a ball with a pair of spectacles in front of it.

If you want to include a URL, click on this button and you will see a special box enter it in. Put the URL in there, click on OK and Bob's your uncle.

If you don't see a button as I have described please post again and I will temporarily change the editor mode on my account and provide further advice.

Regards,

Brian

stein
15th November 2006, 05:57
Thank you very much all of you. It seemed clear at first, now I'm not so sure, but I'll reread and reread and make an attempt. The wonderful row of old ship photo's I found at Dundee Central Library's site seems to have been replaced by something less attractive anyway, and may well have been posted before, so I have got some time to study till next I find something worth recommending. (Editing mode?) Stein

Keith Adams
15th November 2006, 06:41
Hello to Stein! Maybe we should set up asearch catagory for Marine Art?.Snowy

stein
15th November 2006, 09:43
Answering Snowy: I am very much a junior member here and would not have much say in the matter. But generally -if I might make a squeek - I think the great forte of this site is the large percentage of professional sailors among the members, and I would be wary of anything that might change this. I first had this thought when someone asked for a separate yacht category,- which initially would suit me (see my latest postings), but might mean a deluge of photos unrelated to the interest of todays members. It is though something for someone else to ponder. I would like to pander my pictures anyway possible, and could well imagine a category for paintings, but only with some sort of distinct rules. Anyway this certainly belongs in another category! Maybe some computer wizard among us could move this discussion elsewhere. Stein

leo hannan
15th November 2006, 11:06
Hi there Stein,

I am not sure whether this affected by the editing mode you have set up in your profile, but you should see a row of buttons above where you are posting (in forums anyway). One of these looks a bit like a ball with a pair of spectacles in front of it.

If you want to include a URL, click on this button and you will see a special box enter it in. Put the URL in there, click on OK and Bob's your uncle.

If you don't see a button as I have described please post again and I will temporarily change the editor mode on my account and provide further advice.

Regards,

Brian

Good Morning Brian.
Thanks for that. I also did not know how to include a link but now I do.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

macjack
15th November 2006, 12:10
Whilst on the subject of url's, when inserting an image a URL is requested, how do I go about a inserting a photograph from "my Pictures" folder? where or how do I obtain a URL for photos. I have pondered on this for sometime, must be easy and straight forward, any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank's in anticipation.
Regards,
Mac.

benjidog
15th November 2006, 22:57
Hi Mac,

If you are trying to insert a picture into a forum post, go to the bottom of the screen below where you put your message in and press the Manage Attachments button. From there it is pretty straightforward but remember to watch for error messages - you can't paste very large files in forum posts.

If you don't see the Manage Attachments button you may have to press the Go Advanced button first and it should appear.

Brian

macjack
16th November 2006, 08:34
Brian,
Thank you so much, for such a prompt answer to my plea.I can now rest contented, grey hairs were increasing by the minute.
Kindest Regards,
Mac.

stein
16th November 2006, 14:16
I just want to report that I just successfully posted a link by following the instructions by Bruce Carson. I searched for, but didn't find any bespectacled ball in the vicinity, but the link posting seems to work with the Carson instructions solely, (this to John Rogers). I'll leave the Benjidog instructions for the moment, this seems a bit over my head. Stein.

danube4
16th November 2006, 14:45
Hi Stein. Go down to Quick Reply. You will see, Message: Below this you will see a line :- AA B I U . ball & glasses.Enverlope .note

Click ball & glasses.
Barney.

stein
16th November 2006, 15:02
Tried it, got it. Stein