Osa II's in transit

neillrush
15th November 2006, 10:03
Two ex-Finnish Navy? Osa II's aboard the MV Passat in the Bay of Gibraltar 14/11/06. The ship was picking up bunkers while en-route from Loviisa to Alexandria. Has anyone got any ideas on the ID
Rgds Neill
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/gibmartrust/LR_Passat.jpg
www.gogibraltarsite.com

gdynia
15th November 2006, 11:14
Could be the Helsinki and Turku which were decommisioned this year I believe

neillrush
15th November 2006, 17:27
Thanks gdynia, I was hoping someone could come up with suggestions, I cannot even find decomm dates
Thanks
Rgds Neill

neillrush
15th November 2006, 17:32
Actually are they those two?, I am sure these are Osa II's all of which began with a "T", the Helsinki and tother one are a different class!
Rgds Neill

gdynia
15th November 2006, 17:54
Neill
The only info I have on the T Class or Turunmaa were 2 vessels decomissoned in 2002 the Karjala which became a museum in Turku and the Turunmaa which was converted into a machine shop

neillrush
18th November 2006, 07:14
One of my learned mates has found a new contact in Finland who gave the following info: All four of the class, Tuima (11), Tuisku (12), Tuuli (14) and Tyrsky (15) were all decommissioned in 2003 and sold to a private buyer. They have all now been sold to the Egyptian Navy, which I am told was their original destination before they were transferred to Finland! All four vessels are actually on the MV Passat, two down below and two as deck cargo. It has been suggested that the two on deck are in fact Tuima and Tuuli as they are the lightest!!!!
Rgds Neill

Jan Hendrik
19th November 2006, 03:45
Interesting information.
How did they get the other two vessels inside the holds?
Are the holds that wide (without a mid section?) or did they "slide" them in from an angle?
Jan

neillrush
19th November 2006, 08:00
I am told it was a very tight fit! but I cannot answer the technical bit. I was given this link which might answer your question
http://www.kestrel.it/portal/page/categoryItem?contentId=73465
Rgds Neill

gdynia
19th November 2006, 08:39
Interesting information.
How did they get the other two vessels inside the holds?
Are the holds that wide (without a mid section?) or did they "slide" them in from an angle?
Jan

Jan
Used these vessels before to bring in ackward or heavy lifts. They are a single cell hold which can be transformed to fit lifts into. Like playing with Lego Blocks. Cranes mounted on one side for clearer deck space. I think this vessel has self stacking hatch covers where they are jacked up and placed on top of each other to give more space for loading.They can also put tween decks up if required. Good vessels for their purpose. Next time we use them for a shipment will get one of our Port Guys to forward on some photos.

Jan Hendrik
24th November 2006, 12:04
Thanks guys, somehow there is always a plausible answer of course.
Neville you are in that trade of course, so we may get to see few more detailed photos in future, thanks.
Jan