CEGB Steam Colliers

John Mavin
15th November 2006, 22:11
I've put a picture, albeit not a good one, of James Rowan and Sir Wiliam Walker on the gallery under Coasters. I'm trying to find some more of them which may be of interest.

Regards

John Mavin

nigelcollett
16th November 2006, 12:25
Thanks John

Have been looking out for one of the Walker as the one I is not poor its attrocious!

Regards

NigelC

ruud
16th November 2006, 12:53
Ahoy Nigel,
How about this one?
Courtesy/©A.Duncan

Thamesphil
16th November 2006, 20:13
There seems to be a lot of interest, not just in this thread, regarding these colliers. I have to say that they were amongst my favorites and I was lucky enough to capture both Sir William Walker and James Rowan on film not long before they were sold.

ruud
30th December 2006, 11:45
There seems to be a lot of interest, not just in this thread, regarding these colliers. I have to say that they were amongst my favorites and I was lucky enough to capture both Sir William Walker and James Rowan on film not long before they were sold.

Ahoy Phil,
Here another shot of the Sir William Walker1954 taken at Commissioners Straith North Shields 24-06-1956

robandbarbara
4th April 2007, 00:19
' Battersea' approaching Westminster Bridge, 11.07.1952

zelo1954
4th April 2007, 00:31
Ahoy Phil,
Here another shot of the Sir William Walker1954 taken at Commissioners Straith North Shields 24-06-1956

Sir William Walker holds a special place in my memories too. It was the first vessel I ever saw launched. I was 7 at the time and recall being on the Wearmouth Bridge not being able to understand why about 1/2 the town was also out that evening gawping down the river in the general direction of Austin's shipyard. I had absolutely no idea what was going on until I saw this big hulk on the riverbank move down the slip and enter the water. Looking up the records it was on 16th July 1954.

Cheers, Geoff

ruud
4th April 2007, 00:47
Ahoy gents,
For all you admirers of the SIR WILLIAM WALKER 1954,here another shot of her.
Courtesy/©Real Photographs
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9803/sirwilliamwalker1954reawr3.th.jpg (http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sirwilliamwalker1954reawr3.jpg)

backsplice
4th April 2007, 10:58
during my years on the NE coast I saw hundreds of ships but these CEGB colliers were just magic to the point of a little bit of envy I always thought the should have been short sea traders .........only my own observation from the good old days ....yours aye Backsplice

robandbarbara
6th April 2007, 00:46
Polden. at Portsmouth., 07.1963. Eventually ended up as the 'Stinto' (Italy)

ruud
6th April 2007, 11:04
Ahoy RobandBarbara,
A fine shot of the Polden, here another view of her stern side.
Courtesy/© by our member Donald MacFie.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9075/polden1950donaldmacfiemzy3.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=polden1950donaldmacfiemzy3.jpg)

Kit Smith
27th May 2007, 19:41
I had a newspaper article that told the story where they were going to put the james Rowan in the Tames as a training ship, did not come to pass and she was broken.

Kit

ianrobson36
14th December 2012, 15:44
Anyone got a photo of the David Pollock which I served on in 1962, I am trying to collect photos of the vessels I have served on.

Gingerbeer

A.D.FROST
14th December 2012, 15:55
Anyone got a photo of the David Pollock which I served on in 1962, I am trying to collect photos of the vessels I have served on.

Gingerbeer

Try this(Thumb)
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20D/slides/David%20Pollock-01.html

granty
14th December 2012, 16:51
hi
i was born in the house across from the lighthoues at shoreham and took a picture of the walker coming into shoreham for the 1st time a copy of that picture is in ports and harbours section i grew up watching all those bigger colliers comming to shoreham after the new power station was built and the harbour made bigger my father was on the middle pier at the time of the modernisation of the port he had been master of the harbour tug before that.
later on i was a boatman from about 63 till 68 then i went to sea, i attended all those colliers in and out off shoreham i could name them all but this would take for ever as you may remember if you were ever in those ships comming into shoreham the boatman used to skull down to the ship to run the spring to the lock head we used to do the same up at the swinging basin and on sailing run the spring to the locks as well some off those colliers i my eyes were beautifull looking vessels very majestic
regards
granty

Hamish Mackintosh
14th December 2012, 18:13
Polden. at Portsmouth., 07.1963. Eventually ended up as the 'Stinto' (Italy)

My last ship before coming to Canada,1957. Capt Eoll was master and he left her the same time as me to become a Seaham Harbour pilot

ninabaker
14th December 2012, 23:42
I have fond memories of seeing these go by my bedroom window. I was brought up in a house that was just across the river from Battersea Power Station in central London from 1963-73. The colliers were of course up and down the river supplying Battersea and other power stations. Not the most romantic of ships but I was always mad about any kind of ship and watched them come and go daily.

Pat McCardle
15th December 2012, 05:23
They were always smart well kept ships when I was with Stevies, 1980-1984. SIR JOHN SNELL - SIR WILLIAM WALKER - JAMES ROWAN - CLIFF QUAY. Pity I never took more pics especially of the engine rooms on these ship.
(Thumb)

A.D.FROST
15th December 2012, 09:03
They were always smart well kept ships when I was with Stevies, 1980-1984. SIR JOHN SNELL - SIR WILLIAM WALKER - JAMES ROWAN - CLIFF QUAY. Pity I never took more pics especially of the engine rooms on these ship.
(Thumb)

Didn't one of them feature in the film 'Battle of Britian'

granty
15th December 2012, 09:44
hi
it did and i think it was the Cliffe Quay or one of that class
regards
granty

trotterdotpom
15th December 2012, 11:08
Stevie Clarke's "Steyning" played the part of "Bantu Wind" in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

John T