The Book "Oceans Of Time"

Bob cheeseman
7th October 2006, 00:09
Hi all,
Having just finished reading Daves book, i must report on a excellent few hours being swept a long through his life .i my self was at sea through these great years and ended up in New Zealand about the same time as dave Our paths never crossed shipping out of the UK ,but some of the guys Dave sailed with were olso ship mates of mine This book is a great look at life at sea through the eyes of a young man taken on the world to make his own way ,a thing into days world that has been lost to the younger generation
Bob c

DURANGO
8th October 2006, 18:29
Hi all,
Having just finished reading Daves book, i must report on a excellent few hours being swept a long through his life .i my self was at sea through these great years and ended up in New Zealand about the same time as dave Our paths never crossed shipping out of the UK ,but some of the guys Dave sailed with were olso ship mates of mine This book is a great look at life at sea through the eyes of a young man taken on the world to make his own way ,a thing into days world that has been lost to the younger generation
Bob c

Well said Bob a great book that i too have just finished, i truly beleive it is a great sadness that the way of life we led as British merchant seamen is gone forever and without books such as Oceans of time the memories would be long gone as well .

aleddy
9th October 2006, 01:41
Great to hear your good reviews guys, I shall be getting a copy from Dave in person when he visits Brisbane from 18th of this month for a few days.
Cheers,
Ted

daveyjones
9th October 2006, 15:54
Thanks guys for your kind words on reviewing my book. The proof will always be in the reading.
Yes Ted, me and the better half are off to OZ on Thursday for a couple of weeks break and will see you there with a signed copy as I will my shipmates in Tweed Heads, and my Melbourne shipmates.

UK and OZ outlets are yet to be determined. My publisher is in the UK doing just that. It's only been 12 days since the launch and traction takes time. Im learning a lot about the publishing world and you cannot just decide to put it in a shop. The bookshops decide whether they could sell the product before excepting any book. Already Im pleased to hear book shops in Wgton have asked for copies.

Will update the crowd as events take place.

Cheers Daveyjones

KIWI
10th October 2006, 20:41
Have finished reading "Oceans of Time" & really enjoyed it.Knowing both sides he was writing about,English Shipping & NZ,I could have easily taken a book twice the size.It must have been as difficult editing as writing.Great effort. Kiwi

daveyjones
1st November 2006, 20:35
Hi shipmates... I have just been informed that my radio interview about my book Oceans Of Time has been rescheduled for SUNDAY 12 Nov 11.10am on 2ZB Gary Ward Show.

Cheers Daveyjones

aleddy
2nd November 2006, 05:40
Thats Sydney Radio Davey, tell some one to book you Big Time with Greg Cary on 1116 Brisbane and you will even be heard in Burpengary
Cheers
Ted

duncan montgomery
6th November 2006, 09:16
oceans of time i also have just read daves book oceans of time and there is nothing like a good true sea yarn to read there are not many books about written buy seamen of thier life at sea like this one its a pity more of us didnt write about it like dave has well worth reading and good value for your money duncan montgomery

dave beaumont
7th November 2006, 10:49
let us no when and were we can buy the book in melbourne Dave. Cheers Dave

daveyjones
7th November 2006, 15:58
Hi Dave...Oceans of Time is now stocked by the main bookshop retailers in NZ. This means that Dymocks or Angus or any bookshops in OZ will be able to order for you. The more orders they get I assume they will decide to stock the book in OZ. All you need to give your retailer is the title and the author (Dave Share) and give them the publisher email address info@steeleroberts.co.nz.
Russell Priest editor of the LOG in Melbourne is going to give a review in his December issue.
My publisher advises that on his recent sojourn to the UK he targeted Mainmast Book Distributors in Warsash Southampton and the Greenwich Maritime Museum as an outlet for the book in the UK. He is still awaiting conformation but once again those in the UK who are interested in purchasing could email or ring these two outlets inducing them to get stocks in and a much cheaper postage proposition than mailing from NZ. Hope this makes sense!
Thank you Duncan for your feed back. The lower deck has far more interesting stories and yes, it was the time of our lives.

Cheers Daveyjones

dave beaumont
9th November 2006, 21:39
Thanks Dave. Will head to Angus and Robertson today. Cheers Dave

daveyjones
16th November 2006, 20:17
Hi Greetings from NZ. As promised I would keep you updated on my book Oceans Of Time. We now have a UK outlet.

The Greenwich Maritime Museum has also shown interest and is currently talking to my publisher.

Cheers Davey jones
If you need more info please send a PM

aleddy
16th November 2006, 22:23
Hi Davey,
Getting a little more time for my own interests lately and getting into your book more and really enjoying it.
Sparks memories of my own early days at sea and makes me wish I had written every down as you have done.
I am eagerly awaiting to get to the middle and later years.
Cheers
Ted
PS. always got to give SN an hour everyday as well.

non descript
19th November 2006, 09:16
Hi Greetings from NZ. As promised I would keep you updated on my book Oceans Of Time. We now have a UK outlet.

The Greenwich Maritime Museum has also shown interest and is currently talking to my publisher.

Cheers Davey jones
If you need more info please send a PM

From how you describe the book, it seems a very worthwhile project. I wish it well and I'm sure quite a few Members will look out for it and /or send you a PM to trace it.

Good luck to you Sir.
(Thumb)

Butters
20th November 2006, 03:58
Yes - a great book . Enjoyed every minute of it and recognised a few in the photo's I also sailed with on the NZ coast.

Butters
(Lindsay Butterfield)

aleddy
23rd November 2006, 04:51
Hi Davey,
Finished reading your book yesterday, its always sad getting to the end of a good read and the best cure is to reach out to the next read which is Wilful Murder, The Sinking of Lusitania by Diana Preston published 2002, I wonder if it contains anything not already written.
Anyway and more importantly I have enyoyed your book from cover to cover and did not miss anything in between, I was able to draw a few parallels but could not match your lifetime at sea to my 5 minutes.
Cheers
Ted

daveyjones
25th November 2006, 15:57
Hi Ted...glad you enjoyed. The story of the Lusitania and sister ships are all part of our maritime history. Those wonderful old Atlantic greyhounds are an era on their own when ships were ships! I never tire reading about them.
Cheers Daveyjones

spongebob
20th March 2008, 21:51
One of the fortunate bonuses of my recent visit to Auckland, a copy of Dave Share's book "Oceans of Time" bought from Whitcoulls booksellers.
A Classic memory provoking, down to earth account of a life time at sea.
It certainly brought a few of my own recalls out of the cupboard and I rate it a recommended read.

masthead
31st August 2008, 10:59
Great Book Great Read Brought Back Loads Of Grey Matter That I Used To Get Up To . Got The Book From Mainmast Books 12.95 ,recommend It .

nautibuoy42
12th April 2010, 20:19
Just finished reading it, excellent book, got it from my local library in West Wales.