Murderer on the Olympic

Mark Chirnside
17th November 2006, 15:11
As promised, here's the notification now that the Olympic murder mystery article has been uploaded:

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/Poderjay_introduction.htm

'On one winter sailing in 1933, Olympic departed from New York with a suspected murderer onboard, fleeing America for Europe. In a case never solved, nobody was charged with the murder of Miss Agnes Tufvertson because she disappeared without trace and her body was never found. What may be considered a final insult was the mere charge of bigamy that was successfully prosecuted, for the suspect served only a few years in prison...'

Best wishes,

Mark.

DICK SLOAN
22nd January 2008, 01:08
Hello Mark, thats very interesting, I always remember my father working on a Union Castle ship, when a murder happened and apparently the womens body was pushed out the cabin port hole, and this port hole was removed later for use as evidence...not really a nice subject, but its happened.

KenLin39
22nd January 2008, 02:36
It was on the "Durban Castle" Dick, about 1947. Believe she was a film star and a steward was involved, some one will know more for you. Ken. see below.
In July 1947 she resumed service, initially on the mail service pending the return of the larger ships which were themselves being refurbished after war service, and then on the Round Africa service. In October 1947 she made the news headlines when a glamorous young actress, Gay Gibson, was murdered during a voyage from South Africa to England. She was reported as being missing from her cabin and a search of the ship failed to find her. Then a steward reported that he had seen one of his colleagues in Gay's cabin late on the night of her disappearance and his story led to an amazing trial at Winchester Assizes. Without a body in the case, the accused, a steward named James Camb, had a good chance that his story that Gay died from natural causes while he made love to her would be believed. Camb said that he panicked and pushed her body out of the port hole but the court decided otherwise and he was convicted of her murder. On 28th March 1962 she completed her final voyage in London and in the following month

Mark Chirnside
26th January 2008, 12:23
Thanks for all the information, KenLin39.

I am glad that you found the article interesting, Dick. It is a bit of a gruesome subject, but I guess if someone is murdered at sea then there's a vast ocean to dispose of the body. In Poderjay's case, I am not sure that we will ever know for sure exactly what happened.

Best wishes,

Mark.