Maskeliya

R798780
1st November 2004, 12:37
Maskeliya, built in 1954 by Clyde shipbuilders Wm Hamilton & Co.
Differed from sister ship Maturata notably by the blind port side outside alleyway where the chief engineers cabin extended to the ship's side. Also spent some time on the North Atlantic whisky run.

Historically, Maskeliya was the first British ship with stayless bi-pod masts, AC electric winches, epoxy paint coatings.

The AC winches were fitted at number 4 hatch and had been replaced long before my 1967 voyage by steam - "Clark Chapman Silent Steam" ?

noel grayson
23rd August 2006, 14:40
I was Mate on the Maskeliya when we were on the Guinea Gulf Line run to West Africa.
She was totally unsuitable for the West African trade but we did manage to finish up with logs on deck, arriving at Tilbury with a G.M. of six inches!!!

Nobby Grayson

Derek Roger
25th August 2006, 00:41
Noel '
Was Alan Atack on that trip ?? I know he did some time down to West Africa as he bought a parrot in Sapoli . Parrot was called Sapoli ( now deceased fortunatly as it always took a bit of flesh if one got too close ! )

noel grayson
25th August 2006, 10:28
Noel '
Was Alan Atack on that trip ?? I know he did some time down to West Africa as he bought a parrot in Sapoli . Parrot was called Sapoli ( now deceased fortunatly as it always took a bit of flesh if one got too close ! )

No, Alan Atack was not on Maskeliya during my time, unfortunately I can't remember who was Chief. The Old Man was Owen Pritchard, 2/o John Morgan from South Wales 3/o Ken Bell, who left the sea, and went into the RAF Marine Section and was unfortunately drowned off the North East Coast. I also had a parrot for many years, purchased on the West Coast. It became a real Liverpudlian saying such things as " up the Reds " and " Liv-er-peul " !!!

john g
25th August 2006, 13:28
Hi Noel, I have asked this question before but I'm damed if I know where I placed it on this site. Did you know Jimmy Wort 2/E ? if so any idea what happened to him ? I sailed with him on the Mahout late 60's when all the engineers on board including the chief were under 30 yrs...!!

Derek Roger
25th August 2006, 14:57
Jimmy Wort made chief engineer then left to go to college and do a Dip Tech ; lost track of him.

Regarding young chiefs I made Chief at 28.
At that time I had a beard . I was called into London office to see Charlie House when on leave ( I had shaved of my beard )
I was sitting outside his office and he walked past twice just giving me a glance and saying nothing ! The second time I said " I must really be in the sh1t " He recgnised my voice and ushered me into his office .
After some conversation re the ship I had just left he asked me how old I was ? I told him and he said " Keep that to yourself and grow back your beard " He told me that at that time Cunard policy was that masters and Chiefs had to be 34 before promotion !
Perhaps you can confirm that Nobby ?
In reality there was a big shortage of Chiefs Motor tickets as all the steam ships were being replaced by diesel .
I was lucky that I had requested motor Ships and been given them while a lot of my peers stayed on the steamers and it took them a while to get their motor tickets .

noel grayson
25th August 2006, 16:08
Jimmy Wort made chief engineer then left to go to college and do a Dip Tech ; lost track of him.

Regarding young chiefs I made Chief at 28.
At that time I had a beard . I was called into London office to see Charlie House when on leave ( I had shaved of my beard )
I was sitting outside his office and he walked past twice just giving me a glance and saying nothing ! The second time I said " I must really be in the sh1t " He recgnised my voice and ushered me into his office .
After some conversation re the ship I had just left he asked me how old I was ? I told him and he said " Keep that to yourself and grow back your beard " He told me that at that time Cunard policy was that masters and Chiefs had to be 34 before promotion !
Perhaps you can confirm that Nobby ?
In reality there was a big shortage of Chiefs Motor tickets as all the steam ships were being replaced by diesel .
I was lucky that I had requested motor Ships and been given them while a lot of my peers stayed on the steamers and it took them a while to get their motor tickets .
I don't know about having to be 34 before promotion to Master or Chief, but I think Owen Pritchard was the youngest master in Brocks at 32. The last I heard of Jimmy Wort was in Hong Kong in about 1985/6

gwzm
25th August 2006, 16:41
Hi Noel,

I did one trip with Owen Pritchard on the Mahseer in 1965 and he was definitely one of the good guys. What a change from my first trip to sea on the Mahseer with the infamous Gobby Nuttall!

John/gwzm

PS Thanks for the reminder that Pete Slade was the mate who was injured just before the Mahseer was due to sail on my first trip.

S Fraser
25th August 2006, 20:53
No, Alan Atack was not on Maskeliya during my time, unfortunately I can't remember who was Chief. The Old Man was Owen Pritchard, 2/o John Morgan from South Wales 3/o Ken Bell, who left the sea, and went into the RAF Marine Section and was unfortunately drowned off the North East Coast. I also had a parrot for many years, purchased on the West Coast. It became a real Liverpudlian saying such things as " up the Reds " and " Liv-er-peul " !!!
Noel,
I sailed with a 3/O Ken Bell on the Maskeylia in 1961 and again as 2/o on the Mathura in 1965. He was from Scotland. Is this the same person?
Stan

Derek Roger
26th August 2006, 02:25
Noel ;
I wonder if Jimmy went out to work with Bob Gregg in Hong Kong . When Bob left I think he was going to Hong Kong to work on the tunnel there ?
I was not a fan of Bobs but that will have to be talked about as a PM .

Derek

noel grayson
21st September 2006, 23:06
Noel,
I sailed with a 3/O Ken Bell on the Maskeylia in 1961 and again as 2/o on the Mathura in 1965. He was from Scotland. Is this the same person?
Stan

Stan

Yes, it would be the same Ken Bell, who, if my memory serves me well, came from Dundee or therabouts

Noel

noel grayson
21st September 2006, 23:08
Noel ;
I wonder if Jimmy went out to work with Bob Gregg in Hong Kong . When Bob left I think he was going to Hong Kong to work on the tunnel there ?
I was not a fan of Bobs but that will have to be talked about as a PM .

Derek

Hi Derek

Jimmy Wort was certainly in Hong Kong, but whether it was with Bob Greg, I don't know.

Noel