Trinity House Ships

david smith
2nd November 2004, 14:23
image deleted

Fairfield
2nd November 2004, 15:45
Don/t think the new MERMAID is as nice as PATRICIA-a bit too much accommodation.I see adverts now for cruises on PATRICIA.That would be nice!

Bob S
3rd November 2004, 12:45
I took many a photo of the Trinity House vessels working out of Harwich over the years, I'll dig some of them out and add to the thread.
Also saw the ROSS REVENGE at Tilbury during the summer which operates as Radio Caroline.

robandbarbara
27th April 2007, 23:15
THV Penda @ Portsmouth. 17.01.1947

THV Beacon in the Solent. 04.1956

Toby T
28th April 2007, 16:23
I agree with you Fairfiald about the new 'Mermaid' I maybe biased as I served as third engineer on the old 'Mermaid' for five yeras but still think she looks a finer ship.
The two pic's are of her in her home base at Great Yarmouth about 1960

Mr-Tomcat
30th June 2007, 00:22
My Dad served on the THV Argus during the 50's and maybe later, I remember him telling me he was at sea when a car ferry sank, 1953 I think, the Princess Victoria, I have a few photo's I will find and post.

Andrew.

Jacktar1
30th June 2007, 04:00
Andrew, your dead right, I was 2nd mate on the NAV Gatling tied up at our berth in Belfast Lough, on the Saturday night it was blowing a howling gale, we had to put a couple of yokohama fenders between the ship and jetty it was so bad. Next morning we heard that the 'Princess Victoria' on passage from Stranraer to Larne had gone down. Late Sunday afternoon HMS Consort passed on the way into Belfast with many bodies on deck. There were three other vessels who were in the area that night, the William Sloans "Orchy", a coastal tanker, either the "Pass of Drumochter" or "Pass of Balmaha" and one other the name I cannot remember. It was one hell of a night.
The THV Argus operated out of Swansea for some time, also THV Alert, fine ships. Cheers,
Glan

PollY Anna
30th June 2007, 17:28
I was talking to an 16 year RN guy today and it got round to the River Fal (He was Cornish) and we talked about ships being laid up in the Fal and he told me that a Trinity House ship was laid up in the Fal can anybody give more info. He was a pilot (Planes) and he said they don't use Ships much these days as it is all done with Helicopters and of course none of the lighthouses are maned.

Ron

jim barnes
30th June 2007, 23:24
did a stint on the old mermaid out of great yarmouth 70 ish can't say too much official secrets act old boy???? or doe's the 30yr rule apply?

Mr-Tomcat
1st July 2007, 00:31
The Argus used to be a regular visitor yo Holyhead in the 70's my dad had left her then and done a stintwith Holyhead Towing before losing his sea legs for a shore job.
What became of the Argus?

janathull
2nd July 2007, 05:56
Did a while on the Stella out of Penzance When they first started the 2 crews. Too much like the navy for me. Regards. janathull

doug rowland
5th July 2007, 19:44
The old "Patricia" was a Trinity House "yacht" which was a beautiful little ship based at Harwich and used by the Elder Brethren for their periodic inspections of buoyage and lighthouses. She was the first seagoing vessel I went aboard courtesy of my grandfather in the early fifties! Probably the cause of me spending 36 years at sea!
Doug

rockertez
4th September 2007, 20:33
polly anna, not sure what is laid up in the fal, but in the last couple of months the THV Mermaid has been taken out of service and been replaced with a larger working vessel named the Galatea. she is in service at the moment.
The helicopters are used for gaining access to stations where it is not practical or convenient to access by sea in bad weather to land maintenance crews for repairs, this is mainly done on the west coast.
THV Alert can be used for surveying and laying wreck buoys and carrying out maintenance rolls and repairs to coastal navigation aids as the helicopters do.
THV Patrica and THV Galatea can do the same but their main functions are to replace all the buoys round our coast for five yearly maintenance and taken back at Swansea and Harwich depots and of course to replace buoys and lightships that have been hit by vessels that could not be bothered to have anyone on their bridge to keep watch and relying on Trinitys aids to guide them until they hit them(Jester)
If your interested, as i'm sure that navigation for shipping around our coast can be taken for granted, take a look at http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/
its a intersesting read(Thumb)
Just found this link for photos of TH vessels http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/TrinityHouse.html

Hugh Ferguson
4th September 2007, 22:15
Don/t think the new MERMAID is as nice as PATRICIA-a bit too much accommodation.I see adverts now for cruises on PATRICIA.That would be nice!

See enclosed attachment of the Cruise cabin in PATRICIA.

Peter Eccleson
9th May 2008, 22:27
Mr Tom Cat. Argus was broken up at Briton Ferry, South Wales in 1974.
Other members passed info on Ship Research forum.

Regards

James_C
9th May 2008, 22:40
The ship laid up on the Fal isn't ex Trinity House. She's the 'Windsor Castle' ex 'Fingal' formerly of the Northern Lighthouse Board.
The NLB ships were in a class of their own compared to Trinity House and the Irish Lights.

STRAWBERRY
12th May 2008, 20:13
I Have posted a couple of pics of LV18 on the special Vessels Gallery Page, if you have got 5 mins (Or if you on Dial-up.....5 hours!) Andy

SteamShip1
23rd September 2012, 11:30
Hi there i am looking for any information or images of the M.V Penda.
If anyone has any information or know any sites where i can locate any images i would be grateful.

A.D.FROST
23rd September 2012, 11:38
Hi there i am looking for any information or images of the M.V Penda.
If anyone has any information or know any sites where i can locate any images i would be grateful.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20P/slides/Penda-02.html

paj
30th September 2012, 20:18
can any of you shipmates give me any info on the trinityhouse lightship CHEVIOT WIND. my dad was on her i think she was stationed of Kessingland in Suffolk. my dad was on her about 1946 for about 2yrs and his name was thomas herbert page. hope someone can help. i have tried looking on trinity website and also googled the name but no joy. paj

St.Adrian
20th February 2013, 12:42
My late father was Captain of HMS St. Adrian during the period 1942 /1944 before being posted to HMS Prins Albert for D Day ops.

I was interested of the description of armed yacht / armed sloop, and even more interested to find that HMS St.Adrian was built by Camper and Nicholsons in 1927 as a private Motor Yacht St.George , later requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1939.

St.Adrian was sold in 1945, and appears in post war years as THV Penda.

Does anyone know the fate of Penda following Trinity Light service, was she sold off or scrapped.

I have attached a picture of HMS ST.Adrian in Barrow taken in 1942

Regards
David

trotterdotpom
20th February 2013, 13:22
The old "Patricia" was a Trinity House "yacht" which was a beautiful little ship based at Harwich and used by the Elder Brethren for their periodic inspections of buoyage and lighthouses. She was the first seagoing vessel I went aboard courtesy of my grandfather in the early fifties! Probably the cause of me spending 36 years at sea!
Doug

I know how you feel Doug. I remember seeing her alongside in Bristol City Dock ... magnificent. Didn't go aboard, but you could smell the Brasso. Suspect the lads were all round the corner in the Hatchet ... and why not?

A couple of years later, as a lighthouse keeper, I sailed on "Winston Churchill", doing the Cowes area relief. I hoped to stay aboard until the end, but it turned out, going to the Nab, I was first cab off the rank. She was a pretty spiffy ship like all the THVs, but not like Patricia.

John T