SS Gleddoch

shaun
23rd November 2006, 20:53
I was on her in 1966/7 not a vary happy period with losses in Arctic from home port of Hull. Was in same storms off North Cape after leaving Murmansk and Narvik. Gook was from Malta, remember highlander Roddie McLuskie. Any pics or crew contacts.?

muldonaich
26th November 2006, 10:28
hi all was on the GLEDDOCH 1962 please note there are two ds in the name regards kev.

john shaw
26th November 2006, 11:50
there is a painting of Gleddoch on this site in the gallery of Steve Farrow:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34622/si/gleddoch

A photo may be found at:

http://www.chesterahoy.com/ships/bd3photos/Gleddoch.jpg

" GLEDDOCH was sold in 1970 and became the Italian flag ALDO CECCONI, Claudio Marinzulich (Agenzia Marottima Duodo e Co.), Venice. 1977: sold to Esperide Soc. Di Nav. SpA, Milan. 1978: Broken up at Vado Ligure."

muldonaich
26th November 2006, 17:50
I was on her in 1966/7 not a vary happy period with losses in Arctic from home port of Hull. Was in same storms off North Cape after leaving Murmansk and Narvik. Gook was from Malta, remember highlander Roddie McLuskie. Any pics or crew contacts.?what happened did you lose crew overboard ????

John Cassels
27th November 2006, 08:07
Kevin , he must be talking about cargo losses. There was a lot of ore
evaporation in those warm latitudes.
Would the cook be little John Costa who later became ch.stwd.??.

JC

muldonaich
27th November 2006, 23:30

JCi can not remember john vick greene was chief steward johnstone old man, mac connachie was mate i think davies was chief engineer the old grey matter is starting to go john never was much there anyway regards kevin.

muldonaich
27th November 2006, 23:34

JCsailed with john costa a few times many a great laugh we had wonder where he is now??? good chief steward regards kev.

terval
5th December 2006, 10:23
Greetings one and all. I sailed on the Gleddoch several time as 2/0andC/0 and if I remember rightly she was the one ship that did not have a tunnel.
Regards
Terry R556919(A)

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2006, 23:21
Greetings one and all. I sailed on the Gleddoch several time as 2/0andC/0 and if I remember rightly she was the one ship that did not have a tunnel.
Regards
Terry R556919(A)

Terry Waite by any chance?

C/O LOCH LOMOND 1977?

Stephen

ruud
6th December 2006, 06:50
Ahoy,
Here the wanted photos, the GLEDDOCH and as ALDO CECCONI:

ARRANMAN35
6th December 2006, 14:25
Hi,
Sailed on her as 4/E in 1960, all the usual small ship iron ore ports.
Drydocked in Milford Haven a bit out of the normal for docking.

Archie

muldonaich
6th December 2006, 16:04
Hi,
Sailed on her as 4/E in 1960, all the usual small ship iron ore ports.
Drydocked in Milford Haven a bit out of the normal for docking.

Archie
was basil leach 3rd eng on her with you he was years on the two up and downers regards kev.

muldonaich
6th December 2006, 16:05

C/O LOCH LOMOND 1977?

Stephenthink you were c/o on loch maree with me kev.

ARRANMAN35
6th December 2006, 20:00
Hi,
Basil was there for a couple of trips, an elderly Willie MacAllister was
the 2/E for a short period.

Cheers
Archie

Stephen J. Card
6th December 2006, 20:01
think you were c/o on loch maree with me kev.

Kevin,

Which year?

Were you part of the oil spill cleanup team on the last voyage?

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
6th December 2006, 20:06
think you were c/o on loch maree with me kev.

Do you remember the bosun that was there for a long time, Bob Campbell from Buckie?

Good fellow of the first order. Pissed as a rat for one week out of every month but it was worth it for he did the remaining three weeks!

Stephen

muldonaich
7th December 2006, 23:10
Do you remember the bosun that was there for a long time, Bob Campbell from Buckie?

Good fellow of the first order. Pissed as a rat for one week out of every month but it was worth it for he did the remaining three weeks!

Stephensailed with bob on warwick fort i was on loch maree from 5 11 76 to 20 5 77 paid off las palmas was on loch long from 5-11-76 to 30-9-76paid off kuwait. regards kev

Stephen J. Card
8th December 2006, 00:23
sailed with bob on warwick fort i was on loch maree from 5 11 76 to 20 5 77 paid off las palmas was on loch long from 5-11-76 to 30-9-76paid off kuwait. regards kev

WARWICK CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was my second ship.... 23rd July, 1971 to 27th October, 1971.

Paid off in Singapore when she was sold. Awful ship! EG Taylor was mate. RL Richards was master, Frank Brown was 2/O.

Transferred from WARWICK FORT to SCOTPARK for an eight month trip. Altogether I was away from home for 18 months. My first four years in the company.... July 1970 to February 1974 I was home on leave TWICE... for a total of 3months.

Stephen

muldonaich
8th December 2006, 09:41
WARWICK CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was my second ship.... 23rd July, 1971 to 27th October, 1971.

Paid off in Singapore when she was sold. Awful ship! EG Taylor was mate. RL Richards was master, Frank Brown was 2/O.

Transferred from WARWICK FORT to SCOTPARK for an eight month trip. Altogether I was away from home for 18 months. My first four years in the company.... July 1970 to February 1974 I was home on leave TWICE... for a total of 3months.

Stepheni joined naples 16-7-70 left kharg island10-1-71 mayne and at macgregor old men george hay was mate millar cheng great crowd happy ship but nothing worked always blacking out renato was italian eng on board kev.

muldonaich
8th December 2006, 18:15
sailed with bob on warwick fort i was on loch maree from 5 11 76 to 20 5 77 paid off las palmas was on loch long from 5-11-76 to 30-9-76paid off kuwait. regards kevsorry was on loch long 29-3-76 to 30-9-76 loch maree15-11-76 to 29-4-77 specs on now sorry about that dc regards kev.

Stephen J. Card
8th December 2006, 18:40
i joined naples 16-7-70 left kharg island10-1-71 mayne and at macgregor old men george hay was mate millar cheng great crowd happy ship but nothing worked always blacking out renato was italian eng on board kev.

Kevin,

Yes, Millar was cheng while I was there. Liked his ale! Renato was also there... AKA 'John Fiat'!

As I said earlier, Taylor was the Mate... but there was another mate for the first six week on board. Name slips me at the moment. From Buckie. His next voyage was master in NAESS PIONEER. Anyhow, he used to smoke some bloody awful pipe tobacco... in paper as a cigarette! He woudl come up to the bridge at 0400... drink a whole tin of condensed milk and then gaat Frank Brown to give him a shoulder massage. Never wore shorts on watch... just a 'Denholm kilt'.... bath towel! Every morning at daylight after taking sights hje would call the E/R and ask for water on deck. He would then go out on the side of the wheelhouse, open the hyrdant and take wash. Something to do with crabs I think. His 'uniform' for cargo watch was ven more inventive... heavy work boots... a dirty pair of old Y fronts and a strip of old towell wrapped around his head. With a think pair of dark framed glasses and a long scraggly beard he was a frightful sight! Good fellow though. A real grafter. One voyage we arrived at Kuwait to load...berthing about 0700. We had come on watch at 0400. I always did my 'watch' with the mate. We were down on deck soon after 0700 to deballast and then line up ready to start loading. That was on the Saturady morning. We completed cargo and came off the berth about 0800 on Monday. Neither of us had left the deck in two days! Tea and meals out on deck... no fancy 'control room'!!!! The first of four tankers/OBO's I sailed in. When the LOCH LOMOND was being built I was the first to volunteer!

Stephen

terval
14th December 2006, 10:07

C/O LOCH LOMOND 1977?

Stephen

Sorry no. Terry Scott-Thomas.
Regards.

xdenholm
16th December 2006, 17:07
sorry was on loch long 29-3-76 to 30-9-76 loch maree15-11-76 to 29-4-77 specs on now sorry about that dc regards kev.just posted a pic of loch long or was it loch lomond you really meant .was loch long and lomond in denholms at the same time ? i was a maree fan myself(Thumb) this sound complicated dunt it (Jester)