British Sovereign

hasse neren
27th November 2006, 11:01
Hello everybody, Hasse again. Now i´m seartching For Any Info. History Or Photos Of The BP. Tanker British Sovereign or sistership.
Anyone?
Regards Hasse.

John_F
27th November 2006, 12:34
Hasse,
British Sovereign was launched on 31st August 1954 & completed by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow on 18th December 1954 for BP. She was of 32,154 dwt & she was driven by 2 steam turbines. She remained with BP for 18 years & was sold to Possidon Shipping & Trading of Piraeus on 17th November 1972 & renamed Petrola VI. In 1976 she was renamed Petrola 6. She arrived at Barcelona for scrapping on 16th February 1977.
There are 9 photos of her in the Tanker Gallery which are far better quality than the one I have of her so I won't post my version (unless you're really desperate!)
Kind regards,
John.

hasse neren
27th November 2006, 13:04
Hi john, i´m curently building the Standard oil company´s J.L.HANNA she is an T2-SE-A1 tanker. Do you know what typ of tanker British Sovereign is? and was the funnel and bridge rebuildt later in her days?
Regards Hasse.

John_F
27th November 2006, 14:56
Hasse,
The Sovereign was built to BP's own design, one of an initial batch of 6, her immediate sisters being the British Sailor, Soldier, Victory, Merchant & Engineer. These were followed by a later batch in the late 1950s of 8 more of 33,000 dwt approx. These were: the Industry, Trader, Glory, Faith, Honour, Valour, Justice & Courage.
The Sovereign never had her bridge or funnel rebuilt while with BP. The funnel colours were originally different from the ones in the gallery. Originally the funnel was red with a black top & 3 horizontal bands of white, green, white below the black top. The outline markings of these bands can be seen in the photos in the gallery. The funnel colour was changed in 1968. Have attached old & new colours. Hope this is of some help to you.
Kind regards,
John.

hasse neren
27th November 2006, 17:41
Thank´s john, great info. Thank you very much.

heglig john
20th December 2006, 00:51
Sailed on the Sovereign.. first trip .in 1959,,first and last steam job,,,

Jon Vincent
5th January 2007, 02:39
John F. "Sovereign" was my first ship in BP, joined in Oct 72 as 2nd Off and delivered her to new owners in Genoa, 17/11/72, her claim to fame was that she was fitted with the very first commercial IG system that was still functioning on her delivery to new owner, other than that she thoroughly clapped out, having a marvellous and very exciting free flow system in the cargo tanks, we left the ship in Genoa telling the coach driver to drive like hell, before the new staff wondered what was causing the increasing list. Regards Jon.

John_F
6th January 2007, 16:31
John F. "Sovereign" was my first ship in BP, joined in Oct 72 as 2nd Off and delivered her to new owners in Genoa, 17/11/72, her claim to fame was that she was fitted with the very first commercial IG system that was still functioning on her delivery to new owner, other than that she thoroughly clapped out, having a marvellous and very exciting free flow system in the cargo tanks, we left the ship in Genoa telling the coach driver to drive like hell, before the new staff wondered what was causing the increasing list. Regards Jon.
Great story Jon!
You sometimes wondered how some of the older vessels in BP's fleet held together. I remember several cases of cargo contamination (mixed parcels of 'clean' oils) most seriously when premium motor spirit leaked into a parcel of kerosene. I think we had to take the parcel back for refining. From then on the number of parcels that we could load (normally a maximum of 7 on the old 12,000 tonners) was severely limited on that vessel (the Birch I think). I think Health & Safety would have something to say about it these days!
Kind regards,
John.

Graham Wallace
26th January 2007, 04:29
The Sovereign was my first ship as J/E in March 1960, an enjoyable experience , 450 psi boilers and peaceful times

I could have sworn there was a plastic scale model of her available, I think I made one. She was also on a BP Pack of playing cards

Graham Wallace

hasse neren
26th January 2007, 15:15
The Sovereign was my first ship as J/E in March 1960, an enjoyable experience , 450 psi boilers and peaceful times

I could have sworn there was a plastic scale model of her available, I think I made one. She was also on a BP Pack of playing cards

Graham Wallace Hi Graham!
Yes there is a plastic model of your ship British Sovereign. Sold by the Revell company as British Sovereign, and by the Heller company as BP Lavera. I´s the same kit, in 1/500 scale Full hull. It is a very good model even as it dates back to the 50´s. If you want to build a plastic ship model of a tanker there are only three that been produced sens 1956, The British Sovereign (BP lavera) in 1/500 scale full hull, Standard oil Company's J.L.Hanna from Revell in 1/400 scale flat bottom and La Seine a French navy tanker from Heller in 1/400 scale in full hull. The J.L. Hanna is still under production repacked as Esso Glasgow and the La Seine also, but the ship you sail on is out of production and hard to find this days, sometimes they appear on E-Bay and to rather high prises. I still don´t have this model my self, it´s the only one that is missing in my plastic merchant fleet.

Brent Pyburn
26th January 2007, 19:12
The British Sovereign was my second ship in the company. I joined her in H&W in Belfast in 1967 just before the 'troubles' really got going again. We had a Belfast crew which were a lively bunch to say the least. I remember going ashore in Durban and in those days you had to get a ferry across from the Bluff to the other side of the harbour. On our way back the Old man was on the ferry and some of the crew who were the the worst for wear began to harass him. He very calmly got up from his seat and said 'If any of you ba****ds want a fight.............. there are two cadets here willing to take you on. Everybody just burst out laughing and the whole situation was defused. He was a great skipper with a terrific sense of humour. Shame I can't remember his name! The second mates name was ? Hunter from Belfast who was related to Sammy Hunter another well known skipper

JohnBP
30th April 2008, 23:21
Hi Graham, now we meet here, John Potts on your site also, there was a Revell kit of the Soverign, but not easy to get... ebay etc only option..

john

offcumdum sanddancer
5th May 2008, 18:01
Although not the Sovereign, this is one of the BP playing cards.

Keith P

mpr41410
23rd August 2012, 22:55
Hi john, i´m curently building the Standard oil company´s J.L.HANNA she is an T2-SE-A1 tanker. Do you know what typ of tanker British Sovereign is? and was the funnel and bridge rebuildt later in her days?
Regards Hasse.
I'm sure she did have her funnel remodelled, I sailed her in mid 64 and she was one of two ships that were a trial for inert gas operation, the other was the skill which I sailed on previously.
There was a scrubbing tower installed in the funnel that the inert gas take off was pumped through. The funnel was extended forwards by about 10 -12 feet and looked flatsided as opposed to the original stovepipe design.
Please remember I'm not often right and may be wrong again.

Jon Vincent
24th August 2012, 01:45
Hi mpr41410. you are right the funnel on the was extended I don't remember the exact amount but it made her look totally different to her sister vsls, it was ab----- tight fit you had to go in there and hot into the bargin.

Graham Wallace
24th August 2012, 02:41
I have a couple of photos of her, the first is mine taken at anchor at Umm Said in 1960 .

The second was given to me , taken in 1961, I guess at Port Said , I do not know the provenance.

If one has photos taken in later years funnel locations can be compared

Graham

Graham Wallace
24th August 2012, 03:00
I have a couple of photos of her, the first is mine taken at anchor at Umm Said in 1960 .

The second was given to me , taken in 1961, I guess at Port Said , I do not know the provenance.

If one has photos taken in later years funnel locations can be compared

Graham

Could not attach second photo as it was too big, trying to condense it and will try again.
Sorry, no go cannot reduce it and retain clarity, I'll work on it.

Graham

gadgee
24th August 2012, 22:16
I sailed on British Sovereign as uncert 3/0 from June to December 1970 and of the nine BP ships I served on between 1966 and 1971 that was my favourite. This was helped by the runs, mainly PG to Colombo/Singapore/ Japan but also the old man JC Wilson and fellow Deck Officers D Southon, J Thomas and Bill Cooper. Only problem was getting Bill out of his pit at midnight to relieve me! You will find photos in My Gallery of the trip. One here:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7417/title/british-sovereignindian-ocean/cat/503

SN member twogrumpy was with me on board. He has a few photos in his gallery.

Graham Wallace
25th August 2012, 00:29
After seeing Gadgee's posting above, it reminded me I have more...

A view out of my port of the aft deck and funnel. I'm pretty sure I had portside aft corner cabin with two portholes.

The other is someone I see every morning but no longer recognise at 21 years old. I still have the Pye Shortwave radio tho, it has certainly weathered those years better than I have.

Graham

gadgee
25th August 2012, 10:21
Graham
Do you want to post them in Gallery?

twogrumpy
26th August 2012, 14:49
Must say I thought the Sovereign was the worst ship I sailed on in 18 years, and that includes an Eytie, only made up for by the bunch of lads on board (had to get that one in)!!

2G
(Cloud)

mpr41410
26th August 2012, 15:43
On the Sov there was a 4/E who had sailed on those reciprocating steamers that plied the Amazon. Bearing in mind this was 1964 he went to get his 2nd's ticket and had old Granty for his orals.
He said, I walked in and he asked me if I knew anything about steam reciprocating engines, he must have seen my eyes light up as he asked only about turbines and sent me back for 6 months turbine time.
When he sailed on the sov we were in the smoke room midships after tea and he was fiddling with the eddystone radio at the same time I was fiddling with the aircon controls. I think we gave up together as I switched off the a/c as he switched off the radio, christ he said no wonder it doesn't work it's wired into the a/c . He wondered why everyone fell about laughing...................I don't remember how good or bad the ship was as I was on the 12-4, I know there were quite a few field days.

twogrumpy
26th August 2012, 17:49
Joined in Dubai in June 70, attempted to get the dormitory A/C working, did, sort of, then I went down with some bug I had picked up and ended up sleeping in there on a rubber sheet wallowing in a pool of my bodily fluids.

Went to see the quack in Kharg, all I can remember is that he gave me a large bottle of saline solution which I was supposed to drink, great.

Fine start to the trip.

2G
(Cloud)

gadgee
29th August 2012, 21:34
Must say I thought the Sovereign was the worst ship I sailed on in 18 years, and that includes an Eytie, only made up for by the bunch of lads on board (had to get that one in)!!

2G
(Cloud)

Thanks Phil, you were great too!!

twogrumpy
31st August 2012, 15:48
Thanks Phil, you were great too!!

(Eats)

Phill

Graham Wallace
31st August 2012, 17:38

2G
(Cloud)

Phil,

I sailed the Sovereign as first trip JE from 31March to 10th November 1960 (8 and a half months)

And the Light as JE/4E from 12 January 1961 to 10 November 1961, odd coincidence those two leaving dates (10 months)

None of the short seatimes between leaves that now occur in modern times !

They were both superb ships at the time, a few Umm Said to Kwinana, Gulf/Aden/Bombay trips on the Sovereign and on the Light; Gulf to Aden,Tripoli, Teneriffe, USA and Venezuela Even a drydocking in Falmouth when I hoped for Italy.

My one complaint I mentioned before about he Light was that darn extremely heavy turning gear engaging shaft that had to be lifted and slid into position.

They must have been well past their prime dates for you. I know quite a few Engineers who were sent back again and again to the 'Italians'... not many appreciated that! In some ways was that an accolade or punishment?

Graham

wildcat45
12th September 2012, 20:39
You might find this interesting.

http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00074000/00074585.mp4.m3u8

twogrumpy
13th September 2012, 15:45
Phil,

I sailed the Sovereign as first trip JE from 31March to 10th November 1960 (8 and a half months)

And the Light as JE/4E from 12 January 1961 to 10 November 1961, odd coincidence those two leaving dates (10 months)

None of the short seatimes between leaves that now occur in modern times !

They were both superb ships at the time, a few Umm Said to Kwinana, Gulf/Aden/Bombay trips on the Sovereign and on the Light; Gulf to Aden,Tripoli, Teneriffe, USA and Venezuela Even a drydocking in Falmouth when I hoped for Italy.

My one complaint I mentioned before about he Light was that darn extremely heavy turning gear engaging shaft that had to be lifted and slid into position.

They must have been well past their prime dates for you. I know quite a few Engineers who were sent back again and again to the 'Italians'... not many appreciated that! In some ways was that an accolade or punishment?

Graham

Ten years later for me on the Sovereign Graham, must have gone down hill in that time.

2G
(Pint)

muff
11th May 2013, 01:14
went to bombay and the war was on fights all the time , got my nose broke paid off in falmouth i thinkThe British Sovereign was my second ship in the company. I joined her in H&W in Belfast in 1967 just before the 'troubles' really got going again. We had a Belfast crew which were a lively bunch to say the least. I remember going ashore in Durban and in those days you had to get a ferry across from the Bluff to the other side of the harbour. On our way back the Old man was on the ferry and some of the crew who were the the worst for wear began to harass him. He very calmly got up from his seat and said 'If any of you ba****ds want a fight.............. there are two cadets here willing to take you on. Everybody just burst out laughing and the whole situation was defused. He was a great skipper with a terrific sense of humour. Shame I can't remember his name! The second mates name was ? Hunter from Belfast who was related to Sammy Hunter another well known skipper

Nigel Wing
13th January 2014, 15:54
Recently, while talking to an acquaintance about Western Australia, he mentioned Kwinana, and then related a little story about his time on British Sovereign there and in the Persian Gulf. His age is 71 and he was then about 18yrs, it was his first trip so it was either in the late 1950's or 1960, from what he was saying I would imagine he was in the catering department.
His recollection of the crew is that of many fights. In the Persian Gulf there was a fight on the poop deck where one crew member was forced back to the stern rail and bend backwards over it severely damaging his back, he was confined to his bunk, later at the next port a doctor came aboard and found he had a broken back requiring repatriation.
On another sad occasion one of the catering staff had not turned to in the morning, so trying to put him on the shake, and finding his cabin door locked, the Master key was obtained, alas the lad was found hanged from the deckhead by his lifejacket.
He concluded by saying what a bad bunch they were, totally mad and ready to fight for any reason, does anyone recall these incidents.
During my time as an apprentice at Falmouth Docks, I had worked on the British Sovereign on numerous occasions, so the crew may have been from the local pool.

Graham Wallace
13th January 2014, 17:59
Recently, while talking to an acquaintance about Western Australia, he mentioned Kwinana, and then related a little story about his time on British Sovereign there and in the Persian Gulf. His age is 71 and he was then about 18yrs, it was his first trip so it was either in the late 1950's or 1960, from what he was saying I would imagine he was in the catering department.
His recollection of the crew is that of many fights. In the Persian Gulf there was a fight on the poop deck where one crew member was forced back to the stern rail and bend backwards over it severely damaging his back, he was confined to his bunk, later at the next port a doctor came aboard and found he had a broken back requiring repatriation.
On another sad occasion one of the catering staff had not turned to in the morning, so trying to put him on the shake, and finding his cabin door locked, the Master key was obtained, alas the lad was found hanged from the deckhead by his lifejacket.
He concluded by saying what a bad bunch they were, totally mad and ready to fight for any reason, does anyone recall these incidents.
During my time as an apprentice at Falmouth Docks, I had worked on the British Sovereign on numerous occasions, so the crew may have been from the local pool.

Nigel, who was your aquaintance in WA?

I sailed on the Sovereign as JE 31st March 1960 (joined her in Falmouth drydock) to 10th November. I think we were in Bandar Mashur when the Steward's body was found. We were not allowed (?) to bury him ashore so as soon as we were out of the river stoped and buried him at sea. I have a copy of a photograph taken at the time , I'll dig it out and post it.
His body was stored in the amidships airconditioned hospital, the smell permeated throughout the accommodation. I'm not sure but think it was girlfriend problems.

During my time on the Sovereign we went on two consecutive trips to Kwinana, loading both times at Umm Said, my only trips to Oz.

Graham

gadgee
13th January 2014, 18:10
The Sovereign had Indian crew when I was on her in 1970. Wonder when BP changed over from white?

Graham Wallace
13th January 2014, 18:48
Here is the photo of the Steward's funeral

I have a list of some of the crew in the photo.

Graham

sheringham
14th January 2014, 21:24
Br. Sovereign was my 4th ship as Nav. App.
Joined 06.11.1958 did 2 round trips from Isle of Grain via Suez Canal loading at Bandar Mashur initially and Umm Said.
Paid off in Falmouth14.02.1959.
Attached photo of P.J.Williams and myself on the canal. I am to the left!!!
I can't really recall any highlights during the time I was aboard her.

Ron Dunning

narra
15th January 2014, 13:43
Hasse.
She was apparantly first tanker to have a swimming pool, even if it was only cavas .Narra

narra
15th January 2014, 13:44
Hi Hasse.
Sailed in British Sailor in Jan 54,she was flagship of the fleet then so we were led to belive. All i seemed to do was polish 32 brass porthole's and step's in Officer's accom/ Put me off brass for life. All the best .
Narra

Graham Wallace
15th January 2014, 16:53

Nigel,

I have just managed to find some old files, the Sovereign arrived in Bandar Mashur 17th June 1960, so I guess the incident happened a day or so after that.

Graham

gadgee
15th January 2014, 18:50
Br. Sovereign was my 4th ship as Nav. App.
Joined 06.11.1958 did 2 round trips from Isle of Grain via Suez Canal loading at Bandar Mashur initially and Umm Said.
Paid off in Falmouth14.02.1959.
Attached photo of P.J.Williams and myself on the canal. I am to the left!!!
I can't really recall any highlights during the time I was aboard her.

Ron Dunning

These photos are better in Gallery - Life on Board