Benlarig

Bob S
3rd November 2004, 13:04
BENLARIG (44/8879) passing Tilbury (UK) in the late 60's.

tanker
14th November 2004, 15:42
Good profile ! i think she was built as JAVANESE PRINCE and become BENLARIG
in 1961.

david smith
14th November 2004, 15:54
Yes, and arrived Hong Kong on 6th September 1969 for scrapping

EBenarty
2nd November 2005, 00:09
I beleve wthout the crew knowing in the Albert Docks prior to sailing !!!

liverbob
7th March 2006, 03:12
was on the javenese prince 5th jan end of may,we done a trip to xmas island were they done the atom bomm tests,to pick up british army equipment,then back to uk ,cheers liverbob.

Keltic Star
7th March 2006, 16:13
was on the javenese prince 5th jan end of may,we done a trip to xmas island were they done the atom bomm tests,to pick up british army equipment,then back to uk ,cheers liverbob.

Was that in 1960? I was a Cadet on her that trip.
Bob

liverbob
9th March 2006, 03:15
yes it was 1960,i was a steward on her,you might recall a couple of us trying to board here when we left panama on the way home whenshe was in the bay and we were trying to crawl up the rope ladder.

Keltic Star
9th March 2006, 04:12
yes it was 1960,i was a steward on her,you might recall a couple of us trying to board here when we left panama on the way home whenshe was in the bay and we were trying to crawl up the rope ladder.

Yes, told that story a few times. the pilot boat brought you out. Didn't you guy's have a palm tree in tow?
I was on the bridge leaving, the Old Man, forget his name, was not impressed, mind you he wasn't the nicest soul on board at the best of times.

Remember the 2 squaddies we carried back as supernumaries checking the ship with geiger counters twice a day. We were never told the results but apparently our time at Christmas Island classifies us as Brithish Nuclear Test Veterans. It's good to hear some of us are still alive.
See: http://www.bntva.com/aboutbntva/about.htm

Bob

liverbob
10th March 2006, 03:01
so we were on the javenese prince together , it was a good clean ship and it was different to some of the trips i did in the 11 years i was at sea,mind you i would;nt of liked being stuck out there on the island like some of the army guys it like being robinson crusoe.