M.v.tampa

hasse neren
29th November 2006, 14:52
Itīs funny,
i have seen a poorly photo of a container ship that have the name TAMPA. The hull is black, the funnel have two bands in an light colour. I been all over the www no luck yet.
She looks like the Scan Dutch TOYAMA, Imo,nr 7218412.
Someone have any info of her?

Thamesphil
29th November 2006, 15:09
This must be Wilh. Wilhelmsen who, over the years, have had a number of ships in their fleet named "Tampa". "Toyama" was also a Wilhelmsen ship, but I can't remember offhand if she had any sisters. I will try to research it further and get back to you.

Cheers
Phil

hasse neren
29th November 2006, 15:39
Hello Phil, Yes the TOYAMA i have on one photos is the Wilh.Wilhelmsen ship later renamed -93 MAERSK NANHAI, -99 NANHAI. with the red hull and blue band on the funnel, and TAMPA look´n djust the same only she has black hull.
Regards,
Hasse.

Doug Shaw
29th November 2006, 22:24
I don't know if this is the same vessel, but MV TAMPA was involved in an incident involving refugees off the coast of Australia in 2001. There are hundreds of pages on the web about the incident. You can find a picture of the ship at www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/08/1091903444117.html (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/08/1091903444117.html), but the hull is red and she has twin funnels [I think, though not sure from the picture]. It might be a different vessel to the one to which you referred.

Regards
Doug

Thamesphil
29th November 2006, 22:48
No, that would be a later TAMPA Doug. She's a ro-ro vessel in Wilhelmsen's current fleet.

Hasse's TAMPA must be an older ship, however, checking records from the 1970s and 80s, there doesn't seem to be a TAMPA that fits the bill. In the 1970s and early 80s, Wilhemsen DID have a TAMPA, but she was a much smaller and older ship to the TOYAMA.

Details are:

TAMPA (ex Fernlake) - IMO 5114210
Built 1961 Gotaverken
11,519 grt, 12,773 dwt
Part containership, lengthened and converted from general cargo ship in 1970.

Hasse: Are you able to scan the photo and post it here? We should then be able to see if it is the TAMPA referred to above.

Phil

david
30th November 2006, 00:42
Hasse and Phil,
There have been a number of "Tampas" in the WW fleet, in fact one of the most popular names:-

TAMPA 1..in fleet 1923 till 1958. Design and built for WW.
TAMPA 2.. " 1961 till 1967. One of many WW2 built standard US WW2
built vessels (launched 1943)
TAMPA 3.. " 1969 till 1973. One of 4 identical sisters built in 1959 for
a Dutch company.
TAMPA 4.. " 1976 till 1982. As per your comments, Phil, a 'one-off'.
TAMPA 5.. " 1984 in present fleet. One of 3 "Mk2" series Ro/Ro's, and
recently altered with the addition of a
"garage" added to their weatherdecks,
radically altering their appearance. She
will long be rembered, along with her courageous skipper,
in standing up to the abominable behaviour of my count-
ries politicians, gaining political points shortly before an
election, at the expense of a humanitarian gesture.

The 'TOYAMA' 1972-1991 was another 'one-off' built in Japan as a 27.7 knot,
2208 teu Cellular, Gearless Container Ship. Stretched in Korea
to take 2666 teu in 1984, she was sold to APM and renamed,
"Maersk Nanhai" and is still in their fleet I believe(July 2006).

As far as I am aware she was the only Cellular ship ever in their fleet, the company having decided to concentrate with the Big Ro/Ro concept from 1973 onward .
Regards,
David D.

ps. I did not vote for the B******S, then or since!!!

hasse neren
1st December 2006, 08:36
Hello Doug, Phil and David, i don´t have a real photo of Tampa, only an illustration on an Model kit box from IMEX. She is looking exactly as the Toyama Imo.nr 7218412, only a different name and hull colour. Must be one of Tampa 3 or 4. I´m only curious why it´s so hard to find any photo of her somewhere. She is not an old ship.
Regards Hasse.

Thamesphil
1st December 2006, 08:59
Hasse, maybe it's a made up name for the purposes of the model. As both myself and David have concluded, there was no TAMPA that was similar in appearance to the TOYAMA. I've found an image of the model you're talking about here and, frankly, I don't think that ship ever existed.

http://www.amazon.com/Tampa-Container-Model-1-550-Imex/dp/B000GKW5LQ

Phil

hasse neren
1st December 2006, 09:17
Mayby your right Phil,
but still this is rather strange i have build plastic ship models since 1964 and this never happend before. I don´t know how to scan a photo to this forum,?
Have a nice day Phil,
Hasse.

hasse neren
1st December 2006, 18:26
For you that not been on this link,
nice photos of m.v. toyama debrisfield.russellwild.co.uk/resources/wilhwilhelmsen/index.html
Hasse.

david
2nd December 2006, 07:55
Hasse,
According to :-
"WW-History and Fleet list 1861-1994"
WSS-1994 ISBN 0905617738
There has only ever been ONE Vessel in their fleet named "TOYAMA", and that is the box boat described above.
As Phil says, this is probably a mistake by the modelmakers.
Looking at the pic on that link.('The Debris Field'), the model is of a class of 5 Swedish built 10120grt/1959-61,engines aft,container capable refrigerated liners.
They served in the WW fleet until 1978, till sold to various owners.
NONE of which were named Tampa nor Toyama.
Hope this helps out.
Regards,
David D.

Thamesphil
2nd December 2006, 10:19
nice photos of m.v. toyama debrisfield.russellwild.co.uk/resources/wilhwilhelmsen/index.html
Hasse.

I think you are confusing the issue even more Hasse (==D)

That's not a pic of TOYAMA - that's one of their old cargo liners. TOYAMA looks like the model pic which, as I have already suggested, is wrongly named TAMPA.

Phil

hasse neren
2nd December 2006, 10:41
I think you are confusing the issue even more Hasse (==D)

That's not a pic of TOYAMA - that's one of their old cargo liners. TOYAMA looks like the model pic which, as I have already suggested, is wrongly named TAMPA.

PhilThamesphil, you must click on the line under the picture to download the file, it may take a few seconds, then you be able to se more pictures, of Toyama and Talabut,Hasse.

david
4th December 2006, 07:18
Hasse,
What a great series of models.
The "TOYAMA" is the gearless box boat shown in the pix on page 3-5 with the orange hull and WW funnel.
She was the only GEARLESS box ship in WW's fleet.
The Model in the case on P10-P13 in the Barber Line colors (orange hull and funnel with 2 vertical stripes) is 1 of 4 improved 'Scandia' class built in Japan and in the fleet from 1968 till the mid 1980's.
The lead ship was "TALABOT"(IV)/12,545grt. They each carried 12pax, and all were described as..'The ultimate in conventional Liner design'.
Her sisters were 'TAIKO'-'TRINIDAD' & 'TAIMYR'.
So you can see that there was not a Tampa amongst them!!
Hope this helps with the confusion.
Regards,
David D.(Thumb)

hasse neren
4th December 2006, 08:31
Hi again David,
thanks for the inf. The reason about all my question is that i´m curently building a line of plastic ships models and TRINIDAD and TOYAMA is two of them. And if the TAMPA model is the same as TOYAMA there is no need for my to by it. I have some more question to you David or somebody else, when i was sailing on Johnson Line all ships have the same color and the same markings on the funnels. Why do WW ships like Toyama have Scan Dutch on the side and what is the Barber Line´s connection with WW.
Thank´s again David,Hasse.

Thamesphil
4th December 2006, 09:11
OK Hasse, I see what you mean now regarding the pictures.

In answer to your questions:
1. ScanDutch was a container line consortium comprising a number of owners, Wilhelmsen being one of them.

2. "Barber" is a name with which Wilhemsen has long been associated. I'm not sure of the exact history, but there has been some financial tie-up along the way. Currently, Wilhelmsen has a wholly-owned ship management company called Barber Ship Management and a port agency set up called BarWil.

Cheers
Phil

hasse neren
4th December 2006, 09:24
Thank´s Thamesphil, for your inf,
Have a nice day,
regards Hasse.

david
5th December 2006, 06:56
Hasse,
The Barber Steamship Company was a United States Shipping Line founded in 1902, trading to the Far East.
WW became associated with them in 1927, providing a liner service from NYC.
This continued on till 1975, when WW took over the business.
There is heaps of info about Barber on Google.
Regards,
David D.

hasse neren
11th December 2006, 13:24
Hasse.One more question to you all.
Can somebody tell me why that is so strange colour on the deck and superstructure of the museumīs models of TOYAMA and TALABOT, on this link above. When the rest of the colours is right. On others pic. of the real ships that i have, the superstructure is white, and the decks is in some other color.
Hasse.

hasse neren
12th December 2006, 14:01
Hasse, maybe it's a made up name for the purposes of the model. As both myself and David have concluded, there was no TAMPA that was similar in appearance to the TOYAMA. I've found an image of the model you're talking about here and, frankly, I don't think that ship ever existed.

http://www.amazon.com/Tampa-Container-Model-1-550-Imex/dp/B000GKW5LQ

PhilYes Thamesphil and David, you where right. After mailing Imex_model.com about the Tampa model, the answer was: yes, the tampa and toyama are the same models. We are in Tampa as to the reason we made the tampa. So you where right.
Hasse.

stienpham
16th May 2010, 10:36
Does anybody know about TOYAMA had picked up 141 vietnamese boat people in 1981 to Singapore? Any pictures of this drama can be showed ?