Thistle boats

john trotter
30th November 2006, 02:44
Hi I am looking for old sea dogs out there.that saild with allan blacks the albyn line on the mv thistledhu. john t.

MikeK
5th July 2007, 18:07
Hi I am looking for old sea dogs out there.that saild with allan blacks the albyn line on the mv thistledhu. john t.

Hi John, just joined the forum and digging around for my old companies. I did 13 months 3rd Mate on the Thistledowne around 1962. Can't remember anyone from those days, except the cadet - Steve Williamson from Thorngumbald near Hull - my partner in crime around the world ! I'm not sure if he did any time on the Thistledhu though. He was with United Baltic Corp as 2nd Mate when I joined them in '76 and we sailed off and on together until I had to retire in '98. Unfortunately all the years puffing on that foul pipe of his caught up with him and he died of cancer around 98/99.
Did you ever hear of the story about a pilot in the States coming aboard a Thistle boat and saying to the Old Man - 'Say Cap'n what the hells that on your funnel, a moose ?

MikeK

Pat McCardle
5th July 2007, 20:28
Another once proud Sunderland Co.

MikeK
6th July 2007, 09:27
Another once proud Sunderland Co.

You are right there Pat, they were known as one of the better tramp outfits of the day - I remember Watts Watts was supposed to be the best.

When I joined the Thistledowne we went straight round the world in , I think, 3 months and 22 days carrying the same type of cargo - phosphates !
In ballast from UK to Dakar, loaded for Moji (Japan) via the Cape then down to Nauru Island loaded more bird cr-p and back through the Panama to Aberdeen.
That was the beauty (?) of tramps, you never knew where to next

MikeK

joebuckham
8th July 2007, 21:41

hi john
i was in the thistledhu as thirdmate and second mate from october 59 to jan1961.the first trip she was finishing off a long time charter for avenue shipping and was called kildare.the next voyage she was chartered by nigerian national line for a many port load uk /continent for even more ports discharge and load on the west coast paid off rotterdam.
reading the mikek thread about the pilot/moose reminded me that the company was known affectionately as the black cabbage line

MikeK
9th July 2007, 12:10
Nice to see you have the Albyn Line Crest, Joe. Come to think of it that Yank pilot must have seen some weird mooses, moosii, oh - whatever !! (Whaaa)
Mike

Guardsman
6th October 2008, 21:07
Hello John, Just joined tonight.
I served as a Cabin boy on the Thistledowne in 1966 & made 1 trip from Portishead to Boca Grande Florida & back to Portishead full of Phosphate.
I remember we carried a couple of passengers outbound & got hit by a freak wave up the **** end on the return. I remember her being a happy ship but I was very young & had itchy feet so only made the one trip & then on to the Coventry City to see the sights of Canada. Eric Cavinder, Bodmin, Cornwall

caswell
6th October 2008, 22:59

good evening I was 3d mate on the Thistlemur and she was my last ship befor i left the sea.12/12 / est ship i was on and master Rolly Owens.
Caswell

joebuckham
13th October 2008, 22:36
good evening I was 3d mate on the Thistlemur and she was my last ship befor i left the sea.12/12 / est ship i was on and master Rolly Owens.
Caswell

hi caswell

i think the master you are referring to was rowland davies
i was cadet on the thistlemuir 1955-57 masters lennie williams and denis (happy) holiday.went from there to port curtis, i believe my mate dave bramham (cadet) stayed with her till he got his seatime for second mates
so you may remember him

caswell
29th April 2009, 22:38
hi caswell

i think the master you are referring to was rowland davies
i was cadet on the thistlemuir 1955-57 masters lennie williams and denis (happy) holiday.went from there to port curtis, i believe my mate dave bramham (cadet) stayed with her till he got his seatime for second mates
so you may remember him

29th april 2009 Good Evening Joe. You are correct Master was Rowland Davies. Did you know he has quite a write up in "The Thistle Boats " by D C E Burrell.

Caswell

joebuckham
29th April 2009, 23:22
29th april 2009 Good Evening Joe. You are correct Master was Rowland Davies. Did you know he has quite a write up in "The Thistle Boats " by D C E Burrell.

Caswell

good evening to you too caswell,
i have a copy of the same book on my shelf. i never met rolly but by all accounts, including the book, he was quite a character. i had a visit earlier this year from mervyn maude a cadet with albyn line who i had'nt seen for 48 years and who reminded me of one or two of the harebrained pranks i had committed in the folly of my youth. he also sailed in the thistlemuir from may 57 to nov 59 with rolly davis.
good to chat with someone who also enjoyed the old black cabbage line.
best regards

scaff9
6th June 2009, 08:52

hi john,
mervyn maud here,i sailed with allan blacks from 1957/1963
may 1957 nov 1958 thislemuir as cadet with capt holiday and capt davies
dec 1958 aug 1960 kildare as cadet with capt dobson and capt williams
oct 1960 july 1962 thisledhu as 3mate with capt williams and capt smith
aug 1962 jan 1963 thistleroy as 3mate with capt smith and capt dobson

GOOD TIMES
Mervyn Maud
WHITBY
North Yorkshire

Grimsby
23rd July 2009, 02:23
hi john sailed in the thistledhu in1960 just round the coast.she was called the kildare then i was also on the thistleroy agreat job did two trips on her in1964 good grub good crew cheers grimsby

Ben Zaniline
3rd October 2013, 23:05
My great uncle was George Gall who was a Steward with the Thistle Shipping Company.

I wonder if anyone remembers him...

calvin
4th October 2013, 13:06
my late father was stoker /greaser on the thistleboats he loved them sailed on thistleroy muir and thistledhu