Rmas Newton

Fairfield
3rd November 2004, 14:33
NEWTON was built by Scotts' at Greenock in 1976 and this was taken at Greenock when she was on trials.
Not very sure about her role.She is described as a Trials Ship.Think she is still going strong.

Bob S
3rd November 2004, 17:15
Yes, she is still going strong, photographed her during the summer arriving at Marchwood, Southampton.

Fairfield
3rd November 2004, 19:56
Very nice shot it is too! And I see she still has her original colours.Thought she might have inherited grey.

Steve C
24th June 2005, 11:26
Seen here at Devonport...her new role is shrouded in mystery. A large cable laying ship, with most of her cable laying equipment removed. So what is the justification for keeping her? The special forces boats on her deck might be a clue as to her new role.

Bob S
24th June 2005, 11:46
Hi Steve,

Can't open this thumbnail? Just keeps reverting to a small red cross.

Landour
5th October 2005, 15:31
Newton was built for the MOD and operated by the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service (RMAS) as an oceanographic trials and research vessel. Its equipment included the ability to lay cables and included two cable tanks with a capacity for 400 tons of cable along with bow rollers and winches for deployment. In 2000 significant modifications were made to remove or replace obsolete sustems and re-equip the vessel for a new role to support training of amphibious forces. It is still operated by the RMAS whose HQ is in Pembroke Dock though the vessels home base is Devonport.

R58484956
5th October 2005, 15:41
Same comment as Bob, cannot open. Whizz kids wanted.

STRAWBERRY
15th January 2006, 13:46
Newton Due in Portland End of January 06 working with Marines. She will be mainly at anchor North of the harbour, but occasionally shift to alongside to load Fresh water and other stores. She will be here for a week or two.

Waighty
13th May 2009, 13:24
RMAS is no more; all now operated by Serco-Denholm on long term contract. Newton due to be replaced by a Damen new-build this or next year Presumably with a multi role capability.

mil511mariner
5th August 2010, 14:40
SD Victoria now taking over the training / support role arrived in UK beginning of the summer. SD Newton supposed to be going out on the charter market but suspect her days are numbered due to her age (33) and limited possible uses.

OLD STRAWBERRY
5th August 2010, 17:48
SD Newton alongside at Portland Port only a few days ago. She has since sailed.

mil511mariner
26th September 2010, 18:59
http://www.damentrading.nl/damen/

go into the support side for sales info and phots of Newton

Also on this webb site info on all other former RMAS PAS and ex SD vessels for sale

Waighty
26th December 2010, 11:09
Seen here at Devonport...her new role is shrouded in mystery. A large cable laying ship, with most of her cable laying equipment removed. So what is the justification for keeping her? The special forces boats on her deck might be a clue as to her new role.

Not shroude in mystery these days! Now replaced by SD Victoria but same role although I'd like to think spare capacity could be utilised for other work.

gordonw
23rd February 2011, 15:30
talking to a crew member yesterday and the Newton is laid up in DEvonport.

RetiredPMSO
26th February 2011, 20:22
talking to a crew member yesterday and the Newton is laid up in DEvonport.

I believe this info is out of date as she is now laid up on the Clyde.

Rennie Cameron
26th February 2011, 20:45
Saw her in Greenock about ten days ago alongside the Tank Cleaning Berth sporting red/black funnels. Still looks good. After completion at Scotts Cartsburn Yard, she had a couple of areas incomplete which I recall were to be completed by "others". Newton suffered a fatality shortly before her launch, when a Chargehand Fitter was killed.

mil511mariner
8th March 2011, 17:10
The Newton was unfortunate to have a few deaths on board during her service. The first master Captain Greiner passed away on board in the early 80's and the Bosun Roger Launder was killed on board in a tragic accident off the Bahamas in 1994.

Slowone
12th June 2011, 11:57
The old girl is back in Greenock having replaced Salmaid operationaly. Salmaid having been tied up with a view to being disposed of. She is being manned by Salmaids crew, I wonder if they know what they are getting into, she is not as easy to live with as a SAL though she was much more comfortable at sea than a SAL, well Salmaster.

BUGGINS
12th June 2011, 19:48
I would not have thought Newon as being a particularly suitable replacement for a Sal but I suppose needs must.

Slowone
19th June 2011, 00:08
A couple of pictures put up in the gallery showing NEWTON in drydock in Liverpool around 2005

drookit
16th October 2011, 22:44
Hi, just thought I would mention that she appears to be still going strong. I was over at Faslane today and she was cruising slowly up and down the Gareloch (3-4 knots) with SD Resourceful sticking close, I would suspect some kind of survey work, apparently been around for a few days doing the same.

joe732
17th October 2011, 22:44
Hi, just thought I would mention that she appears to be still going strong. I was over at Faslane today and she was cruising slowly up and down the Gareloch (3-4 knots) with SD Resourceful sticking close, I would suspect some kind of survey work, apparently been around for a few days doing the same.

Probably doing tugmaster training, now that the Salmaid is laid up. They used to use the Salmaid for the tug training.

Cruachan
26th October 2011, 20:39
Probably doing tugmaster training, now that the Salmaid is laid up. They used to use the Salmaid for the tug training.

That definitely appears to be what she is doing. Here she is returning to Greenock on the morning of Sunday 23 October. She was accompanied by the tugs SD Dependable and SD Resourceful.

J

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/JimStanMau/DSC2712_sd_newton.jpg

Slowone
27th October 2011, 20:49
Good to see the old girl back in Scotland, must have been a serious head scratching time for the engineers when she broke down in the Med! Shouldn't smile.
She will not last long if they are doing tug training with her, it ended SALMAID.

rolyat
13th November 2011, 18:32
Soon bound for Gibralter,then to exercise in the Atlantic off Gib.

Waighty
14th November 2011, 17:17
I just wish they'd get rid of those stupid inappropriate funnel colours! Nice to see she's working though.

roofaerosyth
14th November 2011, 19:33
I just wish they'd get rid of those stupid inappropriate funnel colours! Nice to see she's working though.

im wi you mike.what was wrong wi the colour they were?

roofaerosyth
14th November 2011, 19:45

yer right mike.100%.i dont know anyone connected wi the job that thinks that red funnels look good.

Slowone
18th November 2011, 00:35
I can tell you the crew held out as long as possible before being told ro remove the sea horse's and paint the funnels RED, or a contractor would do the paint job. The icing on the cake was the daft little SERCO sticky labels. Naff!

Ken Hughes
23rd January 2012, 01:29
I remember the Newton for the trip I made when I was working on the SOSUS system. We went up the Irish Sea in a force 8 and through the Hebrides and into the Barents above Murmansk. Great trip and a wonderful sip and great crew. My fellow yack friend and I beat the boys in a game of darts, 4 of 7, in the crew lounge during that stormy passage; it gave a whole new dynamic dimension to the game. Had equipment failure when out shiv broke dropping the cable on the aft deck with a 3.5-ton Hydroacustic sound system that was used to calibrate the SOSUS nets hanging on the end. It was a good thing we had cleared the deck and wee below when it happened of it could have killed anyone unfortunate enough to have been standing thereunder. That was 1983 I think.

That ship was so quiet that the stewards would wake me every morning on the O2 deck coming to "knock me up" for morning tea with just their footfalls coming up the corridor to my door.

I still have the RMAS flag and the ship's crest given to me by the chief steward and Bosun. Fond memories all.

nodes
16th April 2012, 11:13
She was stripped out completly of all her working facilities she was built with, apart from a 20t speed crane she can only operate as a floating hotel for the Special forces. There was talk of SERCO looking for her to get work as a maintenance/cable layer for windfarm support, though how she would do this I do not know, you can hire portable cable winches but there we are. As a single screw boat she was one of the best for ship handling due to the Kort nozzle, but she does hold a lot of windage and her engine was not that powerful.

mil511mariner
16th April 2012, 11:45
The cable engines were stripped out as they were obsolete - BT had looked at chartering the boat in 1996 but were horrified at the antique machinery on board being used on there expensive fibre optic cables. It is not difficult to retro fit any ship for cabling I have mobilised all sorts of vessels for cabling over the last few years - plug and play is the way of the world, you just need an empty deck to weld kit down onto and the integral deck strength to hold cable reels.

The statement only operate as a floating hotel is a bit harsh, a lot of expensive air dive kit went into the ship including work shops and recompresion chamber. There was additional work shop space and hold forward which was well utilised by a number of clients.

I was never that impressed with the steering capabilities of the kort nozzle - the stone manganeese azimuth thruster was a great help until it crapped out on JH in Cherbourg harbour in 1996, there after we had nothing else until the powerful Brunevol tunnel thruster was fitted in 2000 SLEP which made life much easier.

Needless to say the boat is old, her day is done and she did what she was built and later converted for quite well, as them that sailed on her know.

mil511
19th August 2012, 18:05
Towed away from Great Harbour yesterday 18 August by the tug Dutch Pearl - bound for Ghent - can anyone confirm she is going for scrap

RetiredPMSO
20th August 2012, 16:20
Towed away from Great Harbour yesterday 18 August by the tug Dutch Pearl - bound for Ghent - can anyone confirm she is going for scrap

Can confirm - its a one way trip.

36 years of service - not bad when it was built for 25.

RetiredPMSO
26th August 2012, 17:43
Can confirm - its a one way trip.

36 years of service - not bad when it was built for 25.

Arrived Gent on the 23rd August. Hope one of our Dutch friends can get some images of her being broken-up.

meyer1
25th February 2013, 17:37
A sad end for a proud ship

ISMCode
12th September 2013, 12:00
Sad to hear thats she is on the final voyage to the scrap yard. The Newton was a special training platform ship for the SBS and SAS. The cable laying equipment was removed during a ship life extension plan completed at Wright and Bayer shipyard Birkenhead in the late 90's. New engines, upgrade to DC constant current loop system, nav package, comm package, decompression chamber, dive compressors, new A60 galley, fire arms secure area, A frame removed for helicopter access , crane mid ships aft for launching fast craft and basic accommodation for Special forces. Mini subs (US version) storage and repair systems, moon pool mods. Loaded equipment in South yard Davenport for ops.

RetiredPMSO
13th September 2013, 16:52
Sad to hear thats she is on the final voyage to the scrap yard. The Newton was a special training platform ship for the SBS and SAS. The cable laying equipment was removed during a ship life extension plan completed at Wright and Bayer shipyard Birkenhead in the late 90's. New engines, upgrade to DC constant current loop system, nav package, comm package, decompression chamber, dive compressors, new A60 galley, fire arms secure area, A frame removed for helicopter access , crane mid ships aft for launching fast craft and basic accommodation for Special forces. Mini subs (US version) storage and repair systems, moon pool mods. Loaded equipment in South yard Davenport for ops.

Some incorrect info in this. The SLEP took place in 2000, there were no moon pool mods in fact the ship never had one. The trunk that did go through the hull was for sonar trials and was not a moon pool. The A frame was not removed for hello access it was removed because it was redundant.

berty barrett
23rd September 2013, 02:08
Can't remember the date but we removed some cable laying winches from her fwd deck, fitted fastening so she could take containers on the deck. Was over 10 years when working at Pembroke dock, must winter time as it was sowing lol

TC2
23rd September 2013, 04:49
SD Newton was replaced by SD Victoria in 2010, and was at the breaker's yard in Ghent, Belgium as of January 2013.