Abadesa

notnila
1st December 2006, 22:56
Spent a happy 6 months in the "Abadessa"in 1966 ,good ship, great crowd,Oz Japan(didn't bag off,didn't get logged!Still don't know whether to be proud or ashamed!)Anyone know what happened to her?

non descript
2nd December 2006, 07:53
Abadesa was built 1962, converted in 1969 in Norway to a parcel tanker, chartered to Stolt-Nielsen and re-named Stolt Abadesa and finally sold to Stolt in 1973

notnila
2nd December 2006, 15:59
Abadesa was built 1962, converted in 1969 in Norway to a parcel tanker, chartered to Stolt-Nielsen and re-named Stolt Abadesa and finally sold to Stolt in 1973

Thanx Tonga,I'd forgotten she was single "S"!!

non descript
2nd December 2006, 16:34
Thanx Tonga,I'd forgotten she was single "S"!!

I was trying to do it gently.. there is nothing more tedious than finding some smug git corrects one's spelling so I apologise, as I was hopeful to smuggle it through un-noticed. (Thumb)

Kind regards
Mark

marinero
24th February 2007, 16:26
Spent a happy 6 months in the "Abadessa"in 1966 ,good ship, great crowd,Oz Japan(didn't bag off,didn't get logged!Still don't know whether to be proud or ashamed!)Anyone know what happened to her?

Hi Notnila.
I did my first trip with Houlders on the "Abadesa", maiden voyage from the Tyne.
Returned to the Tyne 9 months later to payoff. She ended up belonging to Alkona Shipping S.A. of Panama as "Emir Man".She suffered a fire and explosion 86/87 and arrived at breakers in Pakistan early 87.
Regards(Thumb)

notnila
24th February 2007, 22:47
Just remembered, didn't she have a serious fire in the early 60s? Seem to recollect seeing her with accomodation burned out and under tow down river from Antwerp or Hamburg.

non descript
25th February 2007, 07:54
Just remembered, didn't she have a serious fire in the early 60s? Seem to recollect seeing her with accomodation burned out and under tow down river from Antwerp or Hamburg.

Yes, you are absolutely correct - I know very little about that one, other than it was apparently very serious.

notnila
16th April 2007, 19:12
Taken off Kwinana 1965. The young guy sitting aft, is Bob Pink (apprentice), the baldy old man in front of Bob is the OLD MAN!! I was on the other boat taking the snap. None of your space capsules then.....

non descript
17th April 2007, 21:49

Notnila,

Yes, and one bit of information came my way on that one; she suffered a rather serious fire as a result of a collision with the tanker Miraflores, on 25th February 1963 in the River Scheldt and was towed into Antwerp. After seven changes of ownership and 8 different names she ended her days as Emir Man and suffered yet another fire, this time it was the end and she was broken up on Gadani Beach during February and March 1987

notnila
18th April 2007, 20:06
A sad end Tonga,I have some very happy memories from my one voyage in that ship.Thanks for the info. Regards Arch.

jamesgladys
19th February 2009, 10:17
dear notilla
i was a crew member on the abadessa in 62-63 i think we were on our to rotterdam from antwerp giong down the river swceltz it was 12 noon when we struck the miraflores midship it immediatly caught fire . as i remenber the pilot was killed and i think 2 or three crew members also died.the abadess had damage to the the bows of the ship but did not have any serious casulties. yours james anderson

Burned Toast
19th February 2009, 10:48
I was on the Abadesa in 66/67 Joined in the Dry-dock South Shields paid off six months later Mina. nice ship.(Smoke)

JohnMac068
22nd February 2009, 09:23
Did she not become the Stolt Abadesa for awhile ?

marinero
22nd February 2009, 10:20
Did she not become the Stolt Abadesa for awhile ?

I think you are quite correct in that John. How is your holiday going?
Regards (Thumb)

JohnMac068
23rd February 2009, 04:10
I think you are quite correct in that John. How is your holiday going?
Regards (Thumb)

Great,thanks, sitting in the sun with a glass of wine, looking at the Queen Mary 2 today, can't be bad !!

CokaCola
1st March 2010, 13:39
I don't suppose anyone remembers my dad, Thomas Stephen. He sailed on the Abadesa in the 60s (as did my mum and I). I was pre-school age so don't remember much unfortunately. Dad was, I think, second engineer at that time.

sam reed
6th September 2011, 00:59
I was the relieving chippy,when she had a new bow fitted,Sam Reed,Plymouth

sam reed
8th September 2011, 21:06
She had a new bow fitted in Antwerp,I was told when I joined her that the collision was off the hook of holland,can anybody else confirm this,Sam Reed

shipmate17
8th September 2011, 23:35
Hi,
ABADESA. id 5000689. Built 1962 bt Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson. Low Walker. grt. 13571. 1969. STOLT ABADESA. 1973. STOLT TIGER. 1974. STOLT VIKING. 1983. VIKING. 1984. TRITON. 1984. NEW BRIGHTON.1986. EMIR MAN. Explosion & Fire. Dubai 5/11/1986. scrapped Gadani Beach 14/2/1987.
Cheers.

notnila
9th September 2011, 23:51
Picture of her as "Stolt Abadesa"in September issue of "Shipping".

Regards
Arch

WARD LEONARD
10th September 2011, 19:28
Picture of the Stolt Span in the same issue, also managed by Houlders.

Anchorman
11th September 2011, 09:45
Did a world "cruise" on her in 69 as the Stolt Abadesa. Picture here of her after Atlantic crossing.
Rgds
Neil

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/39699/title/stolt-abadesa/cat/500

guntackle
22nd May 2012, 01:57
Hi Anchorman

You will find a slideshow of photos I took of the Stolt Abadesa on the front page of my website http://chopin2001.com/stoltabadesa/SAslideshow/player_black.swf (just copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser). I have a number of other ships that I'm going to post as slide shows too. MV Black Prince, SS Clymene; MV St Margaret; Westbury Grange; Thorpe Grange and if I can find them, MV Somers Isle.

Cheers Mike

Anchorman
22nd May 2012, 05:12
Hi Anchorman

You will find a slideshow of photos I took of the Stolt Abadesa on the front page of my website http://chopin2001.com/stoltabadesa/SAslideshow/player_black.swf (just copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser). I have a number of other ships that I'm going to post as slide shows too. MV Black Prince, SS Clymene; MV St Margaret; Westbury Grange; Thorpe Grange and if I can find them, MV Somers Isle.

Cheers Mike

Hello Mike.
Hope you are well,and thanks for posting. Unfortunately I cannot open the link on this IPad thingy. I will try on my house computer when I get home in a couple of months.
All the best.
Neil

guntackle
22nd May 2012, 23:15
Hi Neil, I haven't quite mastered the art of making a website accessible to a variety of devices yet - that will come, although thinking about it as I created it in 'Flash' it won't work on some devices unless they have Flash installed. I'm well thanks and enjoying this sunshine while it lasts.
Cheers - Mike