Daring Delayed Further

neillrush
2nd December 2006, 05:35
It has just been released that the in service date for HMS Daring has now slipped to December 2009. The cost over runs for 2005/2006 are some 157 million and there are fears that her anti-missile system will not be fully operational when she is handed over. This I presume means that the planned de-commissioning dates for the Type 42's will have to (Scribe) (Scribe) be adjusted accordingly!!!
Rgds Neill

James_C
2nd December 2006, 13:16
I would say I'm surprised, but I'm really not.
When WAS the last time the MoD actually managed to bring a project in on time and on budget?
It's pretty p**s poor in my opinion.

Lindsay Bremner
2nd December 2006, 17:38
Would anybody care to bet that the government will still decommission the Type 42s as per schedule and save some more money at the expense of the navy?

James_C
2nd December 2006, 17:45
Either that or they'll flog off a couple of frigates.
We can't afford to pay for the Type 45s never mind the carriers, and I keep reading about a new Nuclear deterrent in 20 years time to replace Trident, at a cost of £25 billion. Aye right, and the rest.
I'd much rather we didn't bother with a Trident replacement and spent the money on conventional warships and subs, as after all, we could afford much more of them.

Lindsay Bremner
2nd December 2006, 17:48
Either that or they'll flog off a couple of frigates.
We can't afford to pay for the Type 45s never mind the carriers, and I keep reading about a new Nuclear deterrent in 20 years time to replace Trident, at a cost of £25 billion. Aye right, and the rest.
I'd much rather we didn't bother with a Trident replacement and spent the money on conventional warships and subs, as after all, we could afford much more of them.

I agree 100%

fred henderson
13th December 2006, 12:47
During the 1990s UK, France and Italy were developing the Horizon, joint area air defence destroyer programme. In 1999, UK withdrew from the programme. The MoD decided that the requirement to replace the RNís outdated Type 42 Destroyers was so urgent that it could not continue the lengthy negotiations needed to harmonise the requirements of three navies. UK went its own way with the Type 46 destroyer Programme, using the same Principal Anti Air Missile System as Horizon but with adaptations to operate with BAE Sampson multi-function radar and a BAE combat management system.

In September 2000, France and Italy signed an MoU covering two ships for each navy. The first French ship began sea trials in January 2006 and its planned in service date is June 2008.

The UK contract for the first three Type 45s was placed in July 2000, with BAE as main contractor. The National Audit Office has now reported that the in service date for the first of class, HMS Daring has slipped again to December 2009 and during the course of this year the estimated shipbuilding cost has increased by another £202 million, resulting in the entire programme now being estimated at £6.1 billion. This is £635 million more than expected cost in July 2000.

Programme delay in the past and the new slippages are both largely caused by development problems with the BAE Sampson radar. To make matters worse, the December 2009, hoped for in service date will only be possible by deferring until an unspecified future date, three of the nine key user requirements for the BAE combat system performance. When HMS Daring enters service she will not be able to meet the defined anti-air warfare situational awareness requirement nor the defined tactical aircraft control functionality. She will not be able to operate a Merlin helicopter and there is even some risk that she will not be qualified for Lynx. These major initial operational shortcomings are being accepted because the BAE combat management system functionality is being curtailed to achieve the earliest possible in-service date.

It looks as though the RN is once again being required to operate obsolete ships while it waits for BAE to deliver sub-standard equipment. In the meanwhile it must suffer the spin announcements that the Type 45s are the most advanced destroyers in the world! Let us hope that they do not have to fight any enemy aircraft that are only up to the operational standards the Argentineans achieved 20 years ago.

Fred

john.sharkey47
19th December 2006, 21:29
I see that the second of the new Daring Class due to be launched in January 2007 at BAE Govan is to be named HMS Dauntless.
What has happened to the old practice of continuing the name of the previous ships. i.e. In the 1960s there was HMS Daring, HMS Duchess and HMS Diana. Why have the proud names Duchess and Diana not been continued in the new class of ships.