Gambhira.

Nigel Wing
4th December 2006, 21:54
I have performed searches on many occasions, but am unable to find any pics of mv Gambhira. If anyone out there can help it would be much appreciated. She was Spanish built I believe, no one wanted to sail on her, but I must admit, I look back and have good memories of my time aboard, or is it only that we remember just the best parts.

Cheers.

Nigel.

Ron Lloyd
4th December 2006, 23:16
the Gambhira. was bought by Havtor Ship Management about 1987 and renamed Havpil. it might be in an archive somewhere for ships damaged in the Iran/Iraq war.

john shaw
4th December 2006, 23:33
if all else fails, and you are prepared to pay, fotoflite advertise 2 images of Gambhira for sale-- but they ain't cheap!

see
http://www.fotoflite.com

Regards.

Jan Hendrik
5th December 2006, 04:09
Hi Nigel,
I supervised this ship in drydock in Curacao (Caribbean) in July 1976.
I took a lot of photos but am afraid I do not have these any more.
Yet I found some photos of the officers when some of them went a bit silly during a party on board.
In case you were one of them, then let me know as I have few more photos.
Jan

Doxfordman
5th December 2006, 04:50
Nigel,

I have a some I think but need to scan them. I'll see what I can do. Just the thought of her makes me shiver!

JoK
5th December 2006, 09:58
That bad?

Doxfordman
5th December 2006, 22:43
Worse, still have the amonia scars on my legs!

JoK
5th December 2006, 23:18
Yeck
Were you on when it was detained in the US?
Coincidentally a friend of mine was telling me about the ship recently.

Doxfordman
6th December 2006, 23:20
No mate, I was not.
I was on during a 3 week docking which turned in to 6 weeks. They just kept cutting and cutting - jezz there was some rotten ballast tank plating in her. was a bit of a worry to see actually, especially when we had regularly pressing tanks. Long before the day of ballast tank coatings!

JoK
6th December 2006, 23:55
I was telling my friend about this thread, maybe he'll wander in and post.

He put some hard time in there as well.

Nigel Wing
16th December 2006, 22:37
Thanks for all the help. I will contact Fotoflite for the images.

Jan. good pictures of the party in the wardroom, I was not aboard on that occasion. I sailed on Gambhira during 1983. Kuwait - Indian Coast - Singapore drydock. with Dox.

Can you name any of the party people.

Best wishes

Nigel.

Jan Hendrik
17th December 2006, 00:31
Nigel,
Have no ideas about names, it's a long time ago.
The lady with the yellow top is the wife of one of the officers.
Then on the couch, the dark lady is(was) my secretary and there was another lady from work as well but not on the photo and the white lady is my wife.
Jan

Doxfordman
18th December 2006, 01:19
Nigel,
The docking I did on Gambhira was Novemebr 82 - early 83. I left her late December 82. Can't recall many of the guy's names. Cargo engineer nearly died in the cargo comp room - he also had a drink problem and locked himself in to his cabin.

Nigel Wing
18th December 2006, 19:54
Dox

My discharge book has these dates for signing on and paying off Gambhira.
Joined Shuaiba, 30/9/82. payed off Cochin, 27/1/83.
Yes there were some characters on board, I can recall most of the names.
My rank, Electrician.

Nigel.

Doxfordman
18th December 2006, 23:36
Nigel,

I'll check my Discharge book and revert - working on my memory which has been known to be suspect!
Checked by book - I joined in RAK 25.8.82 and paid off in Singapore 18.12.82. We must have sailed together?

Let me know which names you can recall.

endure
16th April 2007, 22:02
I joined Bombay 3/8/82 - left 13/11/82 Cochin.
It was a Sparkies nightmare. My cabin was built in to the side of the funnel casing - excellent to keep you warm in the Atlantic. Sweltering in India!

Doxfordman
17th April 2007, 00:00
Endure, you must have been on Gambhira same time as me?? Are you Irish by any chance?? You must have left before we departed for Singapore and dry docking??

Nigel Wing
17th April 2007, 21:57
Endure, I remember, not only was the R/O's cabin next to the the funnel casing, but the emergency and Radio batteries were actually inside the funnel, hell of a job to maintain these.
Like Dox, if your dates of sailing on Gambhira are correct, we also sailed there together, the Captains were Roger Boyden followed by Andy Smeaton during my trip.
Best wishes.
Nigel.

Doxfordman
18th April 2007, 00:21
Got a couple of pics of Gambhira in dock during the that time. I'll try and scan them tonight.

Doxfordman
18th April 2007, 13:05
Nigel,
I have posted them for what they are worth. The Sparky - Endure was his name Eugene??

endure
18th April 2007, 21:24
No, I'm Richard Phillips. Roger Boyden rings a bell.

Doxfordman
19th April 2007, 00:52
Richard,

Have you got your dates correct for Gambhira - for the life of me I can't remember you - not that, that means much these days!

endure
21st April 2007, 14:37
Richard,

Have you got your dates correct for Gambhira - for the life of me I can't remember you - not that, that means much these days!

Yes, the dates are straight from my Discharge Book - one of the few mementos that I have left from my marine wanderings...

Doxfordman
22nd April 2007, 10:10
Endure,
can you remember who relieved you?? I have a mental blank!! I was there at that time but can't remember you.

Gambira
5th June 2007, 21:42
Hey up
I was on Gambhira - Nick Ingle was the old man. John Major was second. Dick Tanguy was the mate.
Did a lot of medy work carrying horrible cargoes!. The ship was so cockroach infested that we had to put beer mats on top of our glasses.
When we went to India (Cochin/Bombay run) we had tee shirts printed with "Gambhira Survivors Club" on them

:sweat:

Doxfordman
17th June 2007, 09:03
She was the worst bloody ship I ever sailed on - If it hadn't been for some of the guys on board it would have been hell! We did have some great times in dry dock - Singapore!! As I am sure Nigel can atest!

Nigel Wing
22nd July 2007, 22:46
Yes, Dox the Singapore Drydock was something to remember, the first night ashore, I went to town with Bill the Cargo Engineer, it was like returning to the real World after the Kuwait - India run, what a time we had, the village at Sembawang was not too bad either.
Best wishes.
Nigel

Doxfordman
23rd July 2007, 02:32
Nigel,

I have a sneaky sucpsion that I was with you - or at least not far behind you. I seem to remember a certain bar in Sembawang....enough said!

Gambira
23rd July 2007, 21:54
I have finally scanned in my photos. Have uploaded some of the crew on Gambhira, will do some more tomorrow

[=P]

Clive Kaine
26th June 2008, 12:00
I was on the Gambhira twice. The first time was in '77, when she was on the Mexican pacific coast run, an absolutely amazing trip. We were chartered to the Mexican oil company Pemex, running ammonia from Salina Cruz in the south to Guaymas in the north. We'd discharge at Guaymas, then wait there until they had another cargo ready for us down south - sometimes several weeks. Guaymas was a really nice town, and we got to know all the best places to go. If Pemex didn't need the berth, they'd let us stay alongside rather than anchoring off. We had a little jolly boat with an outboard motor, which we'd use for exploring along the coast, happy days.

My second trip was in 1980, when we were on the Gulf-India run. Ummsaid-Bahrain for bunkers-Cochin-Bombay. Another enjoyable run, plus a great crowd, and one of the best Christmases I've ever had anywhere. Unfortunately, Nick Ingle was the Old Man, but you can't have everything...

Clive

shipmate17
26th June 2008, 14:15
Hi,
Miramar database.
Tanker (launched as BUTANUEVE. ID.6813215. Flag. Spain. Grt. 11544. SP16.5k. Built 1969 by Cadiz Astilleros.Seville. ex 1971.BUTANAVAL. 1973. GAMBHIRA. 1987. HAVPIL. 1991. LULLIGAS. 1994. KAPITAN LUCA. Leaked at Bangkok 20/1/96 and scrapped locally.
cheers.

Nigel Wing
3rd July 2008, 12:49
Clive, when you were on Gambhira, in 1977, on the Salina Cruz - Gauymas run, was Keith Oates the Chief Engineer there, also a Chief Eng named ? Burley was on her about that time.
Cheers
Nigel.

Tony Selman
8th July 2008, 18:56
Yes, Dox the Singapore Drydock was something to remember, the first night ashore, I went to town with Bill the Cargo Engineer, it was like returning to the real World after the Kuwait - India run, what a time we had, the village at Sembawang was not too bad either.
Best wishes.
Nigel

Would the cargo engineer have been Bill Glasson by any chance. He was on Gambada when I was there. A good man.

Doxfordman
10th July 2008, 01:03
Tony,

I can't remember Bill, the cargo engineer's last name but it certainly could be him. Nigel could confirm?
He was a good cargo engineer but i think, and from memory he had a few problems.

Nigel Wing
10th July 2008, 10:50
Tony. Bill Busby was the Cargo Engineer during my time on Gambhira, naturally, Bill and myself, being the Electrician, would spend much time on deck trying to get things running correctly, sometimes a thankless task.
I sailed with Bill on much better ships also, I do not have any further details of Bill's subsequent career, as I lost touch with him when I left the company in 1985.
Best wishes
Nigel.

Tony Selman
10th July 2008, 11:21
Thanks for the replies. Bill Glasson was a very competent cargo engineer from Glasgow, I think. We also had a 2/E on that trip who came from Dundee and I may have the two the wrong way round, he was a great guy as well but I can't think of his name for the life of me. Gambada was a very happy and hard drinking ship and I can vividly remember one night about 22.30 when Bill came into the bar from his 22.00 rounds white as a sheet and said that some form of malfunctioning compressor that was sparking in some way coupled with a gas leak had nearly sent us, in his words, "landing in Austria first bounce". No mean achievement as we were in the Indian Ocean. We took most scares on that ship in our stride and the bar just stayed open a bit longer.

Clive Kaine
14th July 2008, 09:21
Hi Nigel,

Keith Oates wasn't the C/E on Gambhira, though I did sail with him a couple of times on other ships - he was acting 2/E doing his steam sea time on the Talamba when we had the Great Flood.
I joined Gambhira with a youngish Chief from Falmouth way called Steve - you may know him, being from that area. Good bloke, though I think he was only doing a relief trip.
I also do remember a Chief called Burley, though I can't remember what ship I knew him on. Might have been Gambhira.

IanSpiden
23rd July 2008, 22:24
Clive there was a Mate called Clive Burley in P & O Bulk who was also Old Man as well later if I remember correctly , is that who you are thinking off

Clive Kaine
25th July 2008, 17:23
Ian,

Quite possibly, the old memory isn't what it was, though it surprises me how much I actually do remember from my P&O days.

I remember you at Bristol in 1978 by the way. I started my MED when you and Geoff Bailey were in your second term. Used to see you down the pub at lunchtimes sometimes.

Nigel Wing
25th July 2008, 17:40
Hi Clive. The young Chief Engineer from Falmouth, you joined with, would most likely have been Steve Main, I knew him well.
Best wishes.
Nigel.

Clive Kaine
25th July 2008, 17:44
Steve Main! Thanks Nigel, that was him all right. Nice bloke, good footballer. We had a couple of matches against the crew of a Mexican ro-ro ferry we used to see in Guaymas. Won one, drew one!

daveyw
2nd March 2010, 23:16
Tony. Bill Busby was the Cargo Engineer during my time on Gambhira, naturally, Bill and myself, being the Electrician, would spend much time on deck trying to get things running correctly, sometimes a thankless task.
I sailed with Bill on much better ships also, I do not have any further details of Bill's subsequent career, as I lost touch with him when I left the company in 1985.
Best wishes
Nigel.

Hiya Nigel. I remember you! I was 4th I think at the time. Sailed with Bill Busby, Andy Smeeton and others. I'll have to dig out my discharge book to get the exact dates, think I might have photo's too somewhere. I remember it being a real hard ship but fun at the same time. I joined in Bombay and was told that we were under arrest for smuggling! Spent a few days at anchor before captain realised a backhander was required! Think Cochin custom had had a bollocking for missing the contraband and gave us a right going over next time. I remember the Gambhira survivors club tee shirts. I also had a red boiler suit made up with Bald eagle on the back!

David Leighton

Superlecky
28th March 2010, 00:07
Funny how sometimes faces stick, but names don't. I know I sailed with the second and third guys from the left in the photo Gambira posted on 23/7/07, but can anybody put a name to the faces?

Steve Main's name brought back memories of long ago, we started as apprentices in Silley Cox on the same day in March 1962, him as a fitter and me as a lecky, and we later sailed together on the Ardvar in 1973. Frightening to realise that 1962 is only two years short of 50 years ago.

Nigel Wing
30th March 2010, 14:01
Hello daveyw, yes I remember you aboard Gambhira, what a ship, the feeling of freedom when relieved at Cochin, after this ship, was great. Only then to be holed up for several days in an hotel waiting for clearance to fly out to Bombay, thence the UK.
All good experiences to mull over.
Best wishes
Nigel.

topgun28
6th February 2011, 19:53
Now there are names from the past. I relieved Nick on Ardtaraig as Ch.Off, John and I sailed on Grafton in 75.

RAY CLARKE
1st May 2011, 12:44
Hi Nigel, I think Iv'e a couple of pics of gambhira somewhere I'll upload them When I get time.I sailed on her a couple of times April - July 1978 when she was running between Coatzacoalcos (Mexico) and Puntarenas (Costa Rica) did a dry dock in Vancouver and then in Feb - May 1982 on the Bombay /Gulf run.She was a hard working but a happy ship, I remember a lovely comfortable bunk! She was always developing lots of engineering/electrical problems especially on the alarm monitoring and control systems typical spanish built ! but like all gremlins we always sorted them out ! Great guys to sail with what fun we had in Mexico!
Regards Ray.

RAY CLARKE
1st May 2011, 12:51
Clive Burley was Chief Engineer sadly passed away some years ago in South Shields.I sailed with him on Gambhira 1978
Ray Clarke (Lecky)

Nigel Wing
2nd May 2011, 12:34
Hi Ray.
Looking forward to you posting some photo's on this site. As mentioned the lecky's cabin was comfortable on Gambhira, even had a day room, but my memories of her was that the accomm' was quite hot due to poor Air Con.
When I joined her the first little job was to sort out a few lighting circuits in the Engine Room, I could hear a Diesel Geny running but only knew where it was by the noise, the engineers were using torches to monitor and service this machine, so I think they appreciated this minor task.
As you say there was never a dull moment on her, and as with all hard working ships if everyone pulled together, things usually worked out well.
Best wishes
Nigel.

chrisstuch
14th May 2011, 20:22
Did my first trip as 3rd mate on gambhira, Dick Tanguy was mate, derek lambell old man, what a **** heap

stores
14th May 2011, 22:33
Did my first trip as 3rd mate on gambhira, Dick Tanguy was mate, derek lambell old man, what a **** heap

courtesy of ship spotting.23551

RAY CLARKE
15th May 2011, 12:15
Steve Main! Thanks Nigel, that was him all right. Nice bloke, good footballer. We had a couple of matches against the crew of a Mexican ro-ro ferry we used to see in Guaymas. Won one, drew one!

Hi Clive, Talking about games of footie, I remember when Gambhira was dry docked in Burrards yard Vancouver in May 1978 I was the Lecky, we played the yards team and we got hammered.I was carried off the pitch when cartlidges in both my knees went, they've never been the same since! The yard also treated us all to a slap-up meal in a floating fish restaurant before we sailed.

Whaleystation
10th January 2012, 22:53
Hi I did my second trip junior engineer on Gambhira between August 1986 and March 1987in the Gulf. Not good on remembering names; but; Ron Paton was 3EO, Mike Sheehan 2EO, Merv Hughes 3EO?, Ron Penbarthy mate.
Came across an xGambhira man from 70's John Campbell in current job ashore.
Real name Mike Brown

johntee
15th August 2012, 00:56
Hi there all you "old" Gambhira survivors,I've just recently found this website and reading all your comments brings back many memories.I too sailed on the mighty Gambhira,4 times in all,1976,1980,1980/1981and 1983/84.I sailed as cargo engr.and sometimes had the nickname" El Cargo".Who am I? Some of you out there will know me. Regards Johntee.

Nigel Wing
16th August 2012, 10:30
Hello johntee, just looked through my old runners & riders, from my Gas Ship days. I reckon I've located your name. I do not think we sailed together though.

I will not put your name online in case you wish to remain anonyomous.

Are your initials JTA.

Nigel.

johntee
16th August 2012, 15:24
Got it in one Nigel. I know we've not sailed together but I'm sure we
have met somewhere in the passing. As to remaining anonymous I
have no problem with anyone knowing who I am.After being retired
for so many years and living amongst people who think a gas carrier
is a little red or blue can that you buy from calor gas it's refreshing to
see all your comments and be able to relate to them.Also to know
almost everyone who has been mentioned.The Gambhira could
break your heart at times but I always found her to be a happy ship.
Once you have sailed on her you are never short of tales to tell but
we'll leave them for another day.
Regards Johntee

Doxfordman
22nd August 2012, 06:51
A true survivor Johntee - once was enough for me!!

Bill Greig
22nd August 2012, 09:02
Re post No.2. Anyone know where Mike Sheehan is now. I sailed with him on the "Cumberland" when he was 4EO, spent some time together on leave also, not heard from Mike for some time.
Bill

johntee
22nd August 2012, 15:37
Greetings Doxfordman.
You have no sense of adventure.Where else could you get a lovely whiff of ammonia to clear that early morning drowsiness. Or feel the gentle caressing of cockroach feet as they scuttled across your back when you lay sweating in your bunk because the A/C was defunct.
Will await your reply with great anticipation.
Johntee (R571279)

TIM HUDSON
22nd August 2012, 17:31
Bill
Mike Sheehan and I were the Chiefs on Havfrost up until 2000 or so. Heard he had changed jobs but for life of me cannot remember where he went . Will try and check with Andy Selmer.

Bill Greig
23rd August 2012, 09:18
Thanks Tim,
last address I had for Mike was Corfe Mullen in Dorset, would really appreciate any help. Thank you.
Bill

Martyn Steele
7th January 2014, 17:59
I sailed on Gambira as junior during the Iran / Iraq crisis, offloaded propane butane in badar abas, all very scary . We took the cargo off the "gas fountain" at RAK , she got hit by an Exocet in the gulf ending that run. I paid off in Kandla in 83 I think .
By then she was in a sorry state .....

adrian dale
26th May 2014, 13:45
The chief engineer in the photo (in post #4 in this string) is Adrian Dale! just scanning a couple of posts on ships I had served on and the first one I looked at had the photo.. weird I recognise most of the suspects in the photos but am struggling with the names still getting over the shock of seeing my self!

AJ

Michael Welsh
29th May 2014, 08:25
Sorry Im about 7 years late on this guys, but only just came across the web site! As a former Gambhira survivor, I feel that Im certainly a club member. I'll get back home tonight and check the dates in my discharge book, but certainly remember being onboard for a drydock where they removed the bulkheads and discovered they were basically charcoal due to the sparkies cabin being "in" the funnel!!

adrian dale
30th May 2014, 01:34
me to, I thought that some one's memory might be jogged back, I was the permanent chief eng. on board between 08/05/75 through to 09/08/76 making three trips in total. My last pay off was Salina Cruz. I was slated to re-join for the dry-docking but instead found my self in Germany standing by the building of the Garinda upon which I did my last official voyage as chief.

AJ