Aircraft Carrier INTREPID

skymaster
5th December 2006, 14:13
Just watching the INTREPID being finally freed from her berth in NEW YORK to go over to New Jersey for 60million refit.Over the years she had become stuck in river bottem.They had to take off her 4 propellers to get her out of it.

Mike

RCHARLTON
5th December 2006, 14:59
They also spent the last month sucking 40,000 cubic yards of mud from around her bottom.

Ray

william dillon
5th December 2006, 22:35
Just watching the INTREPID being finally freed from her berth in NEW YORK to go over to New Jersey for 60million refit.Over the years she had become stuck in river bottem.They had to take off her 4 propellers to get her out of it.

Mike

$60 Million for a refit, that's more than we would spend on building a new warship !!!!!(K)

James_C
5th December 2006, 22:53
Aye, you won't see many preserved ships in the UK getting £1,000,000, never mind 60.
Shameful, isn't it?

Bearsie
6th December 2006, 01:36
You have to spend money to make money, she draws about 700 000 paying visitors a year, and they will do a lot of stuff to her.
As far as I know this is all private money, no tax money involved.

Steve Woodward
22nd December 2006, 18:54
She is an important part of American naval history - as a member of the 10 strong Essex class carriers having spent 30 years serving her country. I just wish Britain could be even slightly as patriotic in rememvering those who have served her.

John Rogers
23rd December 2006, 01:08
You are so right James, I just read a paper where the British Govt dont have the money to buy Kilts for the newly formed scottish regiment or body armor for its soldiers,its a darn shame.
John.

raybnz
23rd December 2006, 07:17
I trying think of the poor apprentice having to swing the hammer under water to loosen the propeller nuts. I suppose she would have four shafts too.