S.S. Calchas

GavH
6th December 2006, 11:05
My grandfather (R.A. Newsom) was ship's surgeon on S.S. Calchas between 06/07/1928 and 22/11/1928. The route was (I believe) to Singapore, China and Japan. Does anyone have any more information (or even photos?) of S.S. Calchas?

danube4
6th December 2006, 13:16
Hi GavH, Try this web for Calchas(2) 1921, And Calchas(3) 1947.
Pics and history of both Blue Funnel Ships.

www.red-duster.co.uk/BLUEFUN13.htm

All the best.
Barney.

Hugh Ferguson
6th December 2006, 13:19
My grandfather (R.A. Newsom) was ship's surgeon on S.S. Calchas between 06/07/1928 and 22/11/1928. The route was (I believe) to Singapore, China and Japan. Does anyone have any more information (or even photos?) of S.S. Calchas?

Yes, you are correct. There are 2 books which are a must for you.
(1) The Surgeon's Log, by J.Johnston Abraham (buy on line ABE Books).
(2) Ships in Focus, by John Clarkson, Bill Harvey, Roy Fenton. In this book you will find splendid photographs of the CALCHAS. It is a new publiation and readily available.

J. Johnston Abraham did this voyage in a Blue Funnel ship in 1907 and it became a mini classic best seller over 32 editions.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

GavH
6th December 2006, 15:05
Brilliant - many thanks to you both.

Hugh Ferguson
6th December 2006, 17:23
Yes, you are correct. There are 2 books which are a must for you.
(1) The Surgeon's Log, by J.Johnston Abraham (buy on line ABE Books).
(2) Ships in Focus, by John Clarkson, Bill Harvey, Roy Fenton. In this book you will find splendid photographs of the CALCHAS. It is a new publiation and readily available.

J. Johnston Abraham did this voyage in a Blue Funnel ship in 1907 and it became a mini classic best seller over 32 editions.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

To "Ships in Focus" should be added the sub-title Blue Funnel Line.
P.S. If you would like to know more about the Surgeon's Log, do contact me.
In 1995, in order to discover the real name of the ship Abraham made his voyage in, I researched his book and was so lucky that I not only discovered the name of the ship but also obtained a crew list! I also was able to contact the author's daughter who actually visited me here in Cornwall, bringing the original journal which her father had written up every day of the 5 month long voyage. She later sent me a complete photo-copy of it! She also gave me several books that her he had written. He was not the only doctor who wrote a book about his voyage east in a Blue Funnel ship but it was definitely the best.
Incidentally, I also befriended the son of the 2nd officer of the ship and he also visited. Both he and the author's daughter have since died. Hugh.