S.S. Canton

cassandra44
7th December 2006, 03:32
Could you please include another P & O ship -the Canton - which often sailed from Southampton to the Far East in the forties and fifties- and was scrapped in the early 60's?

RKM1940
23rd February 2015, 19:51
Could you please include another P & O ship -the Canton - which often sailed from Southampton to the Far East in the forties and fifties- and was scrapped in the early 60's?
Recall travel by SS Canton twice - from Mumbai (then Bombay) to London and return from Southampton to Mumbai. Both sailings were in 1948 when I was just 8 years old. Memorable journey and I can visualise the trip even today - especially the one to London. If I recall correctly, the return journey started from Southampton on 27 December 1948.

Ian6
23rd February 2015, 21:13
I was the last 3/O in Canton, initially on voyages from London to Yokohama but concluding with the final delivery voyage in October 1962 to the breakers in HK.

That last stay in Hong Kong was enlivened by the fact the previous P&O ship sold to those brokers (it was one of the Straths) was paid for by a cheque that bounced. Whilst we waited for Canton's banker's draft to clear a cyclone warning was issued for HK. All ships with power, including RN and USN warships left harbour for the comparative safety of the open sea. We rode it out alongside the runway of the old Kai Tek airport.
Ian

RKM1940
23rd February 2015, 21:24
That is interesting indeed. Amused to learn that cheques bounced even in 1962!

I was just collecting photos of SS Canton - wonder if you or any other member has any. Must add that I did find a few on the internet - but then nostalgia makes me want more.

RKM1940
25th February 2015, 14:09
Recall travel by SS Canton twice - from Mumbai (then Bombay) to London and return from Southampton to Mumbai. Both sailings were in 1948 when I was just 8 years old. Memorable journey and I can visualise the trip even today - especially the one to London. If I recall correctly, the return journey started from Southampton on 27 December 1948.
Sorry, just found out that SS Canton sailed from Southampton on 17 December 1948, not 27 December 1948.

Boseley
26th February 2015, 18:17
I was a Bell Boy on the P&O RMS Corfu, regular run from London to Honk Kong, 1960/61.