uncle john

connie
7th December 2006, 23:38
any 1 have any memories of john nicholson? fondly referred to as uncle john.
catering super, who left the company in 82.

benjidog
7th December 2006, 23:45
Hi Connie,

Do you have any more information please - the name of the company and if possible ships John served on. The more information you supply the more likely you are to get positive information.

Regards,

Brian

Frankal
1st June 2007, 19:56
John Nicholson was The Marine Catering Superintendant who raised the standard of BP catering out of all recognition It was he who was responsible for setting up the course for BP shipping 2nd cooks at Neath Technical College
which at the time was innovative and which led to BP ships being amongst (imho) the best fed afloat. You could sign on a BP tanker Galley Boy and within a reasonably short time with ability and a course at Neath raise through the ranks to 2nd cook and baker and thence to Chief Cook Indeed the current BP Catering Superintendant John Naugher did in fact progress this way if i am not mistaken. Although i did not personally progress through this channel (I did 2nd cook and bricklayer in Liverpool and Chief Crook in Glasgow) John Nicholson was Superintendant for most of my BP career and was always well respected during this time
Frank alexander

HENNEGANOL
3rd June 2007, 10:02
Frank,

Thanks for your input, I remember John Nicolson well. I always thought that the training was carried out in the kitchens of the Llandarcy Refinery restaraunts, possibly they just went there for hands on experience!

An easy assumption to make as Llandarcy and Neath are virtually the same place in the eyes of a stranger.

One's memory dims with the passage of time but I will always remember the improvement in the standard of feeding from the early seventies onwards. One of the Catering officers I will never forget is Davy Reid, an Ulsterman living in Swansea he and I had some good times together and became good friends.

Gerry.

trevflstn
23rd June 2007, 18:46
any 1 have any memories of john nicholson? fondly referred to as uncle john.
catering super, who left the company in 82.

I am sure that he was the Chief Steward on my first ship British Grenadier (October 72 to March 73) and became catering Super fairly soon after. Being my first trip I didn't know any different but I seem to remember that the food was pretty good.

Rob.Norrie
7th July 2007, 12:35
Gerry, Pass kind regards to David Ried, when you next see him, Sailed as Ch.Cook, and met him few times afterwards.Very nice person.
Hope he is keeping good health. Rob.Norrie

Old Janner
21st March 2009, 05:18
Connie, I knew John Nicolson very well and his wife and family, if I was on leave I always received a phone call to help at the London branch of the Highlands society, Herring and Potato supper nights, John was At some time the 'Chief'.
He had an heart attack in London 78/ 79 and died, not long after retiring from BP. Great man with a heart of Gold.
I started in BP as a catering boy 1n 1961, Contract company man in 1962 and Catering office in 1965, I took promotion quickly as I was not a piss head and was always reliable. I think I learnt more by having to cover for Cooks etc who were pissed and could not turn to.

Regds Spence

Gilbert MacLellan
22nd March 2009, 01:05
Hi Connie
I knew your Uncle John well,I come from Islay and he was always trying to get me to join some group to sing,I told him that I was tone deaf but that did not matter he insisted that I should try.
Whehan I went down to Liverpool for my Catering Officer's certificate I
had phone call from your Uncle saying that he had a complaint from the Collage saying that I had very dirty hands.I explained to him that I was cutting Peat when I was called away.He told me in "unprintable words "about what I should do.
Gilbert

Old Janner
23rd March 2009, 01:22
Hi Connie
I knew your Uncle John well,I come from Islay and he was always trying to get me to join some group to sing,I told him that I was tone deaf but that did not matter he insisted that I should try.
Whehan I went down to Liverpool for my Catering Officer's certificate I
had phone call from your Uncle saying that he had a complaint from the Collage saying that I had very dirty hands.I explained to him that I was cutting Peat when I was called away.He told me in "unprintable words "about what I should do.
Gilbert

Gilbert, I had Ewan Nicolson sailing with me as first trip catering Boy on The Britsh Loyalty, he was a cousin of Johns, I met him later in the North Sea.
Do you know him ?

Spence.