Benveg

EBenarty
9th December 2006, 20:00
Is there anyone who remembers this wee Ben Boat ???? And what big Ben Boat is she alongside ???

wully farquhar
9th December 2006, 20:13
Was she the little one that used to run around out East the whole time,used to hear plenty about her but never actualy saw her,all Chinese crew.Would that be correct Billy.The old Bencleuch!!!
Cheers, Wully.

EBenarty
9th December 2006, 20:24
YOU ARE SPOT ON !! It was a pitty you were first to reply Wully!!!!! LOL > Aye she used to run from Bangkok to Singapore as a feeder ship for 3 years I think. Some run in these days !! You are right British Officers Chinese crew.

roymuir
10th December 2006, 02:46
Benveg was only in the fleet for a short while. She was originally built as "Polperro" in 1949. In 1950 she was bareboat chartered to Ben Line and renamed "Benveg". Ben Line then acquired her in july of 1951 only to sell her 2 months later to Fishers of Barrow who renamed her "Sound Fisher".
13 of January,1957 she sank 5 miles East of Noss Head while on passage from Orkney to Ghent after her cargo of scrap iron shifted.

R651400
10th December 2006, 07:18
You sure about the above Roymuir? I went to sea in '56 and there was a Benveg shuttling between Singapore/VPW and Bangkok/HSA, similar to Benarty's attachment but my recollections were the hull was black.
Also heard her on 500 kcs. What nationality was the R/O?

KenLin39
10th December 2006, 13:13
Is there anyone who remembers this wee Ben Boat ???? And what big Ben Boat is she alongside ???

Looks like the Bencleuch of 1949.

EBenarty
10th December 2006, 19:55
Aye I think you are right. She was black hulled and was changed to Ben Line colours when they bought her about 1960 !!

EBenarty
10th December 2006, 19:57
It was the Bencleuch !!

EBenarty
10th December 2006, 20:17
Benveg meant the little Ben. But locally in Ross-shire it meant the vegetable after that David Thomson was delegated to name the ships!

R651400
12th December 2006, 07:10
Aye I think you are right. She was black hulled and was changed to Ben Line colours when they bought her about 1960 !!

Which means we are talking about two different Benvegs... The picture looks very like the one I remember.

Paul Barford
12th December 2006, 16:36
Roy Muir was correct, Benveg I was the original "Polperro" built 1950 and sold to Fishers becoming "Sound Fisher"
Benveg II was originally the "Empire Park" and aquired in 1962, later sold to Hong Kong interests and rename "Grandhing" and again sold on to China Pacific who sold her on to Panamanian interests and renamed her "Sumbawa" in 1964.
Don't know what happened to her then. Do know that many that sailed on her between Bankok & Singapore where never the same again!!

wully farquhar
12th December 2006, 17:23
Roy is correct,the Sound Fisher sunk 4 miles ESE of Wick after her cargo of armoured plating from the scuttled German Fleet in Scapa Flow,crew rescued by the Aberdeen trawlers Dulcibell and Woodbine.The Sound Fisher was x-Polperro ex-Benveg,this info taken from Shipwrecks of The North of Scotland by R.N.Baird.

Roddy Munro
13th December 2006, 11:05
Roddy Munro
She sank before my time in the Ben Line, but looking at EBenarty's photo she seemed to have been blessed with as many derricks as her larger sisters!!! Not a pretty sight.

Tom S
13th December 2006, 13:30
Try this link http://www.ben-line.org.uk/benveg%202%20photo.htm this is the Benveg when I served my time. Sandy hamilton was one of the Masters I remember
Tom

R651400
14th December 2006, 07:46
Try this link http://www.ben-line.org.uk/benveg%202%20photo.htm this is the Benveg when I served my time. Sandy hamilton was one of the Masters I remember
Tom Thanks Tom your url cleared up the mystery of the two Benvegs but why then with such a short period between the two did Thomsons sell and then go for the second option, she looks a lesser version of the original?
As I said above I heard Benveg II on the air (in morse). so she must've carried a RO making me rather envious at the time when I learned what run she was on!
Anyone ever sail with a RO called John Donald who hailed from Macduff or Buckie?

radionev
7th January 2007, 10:00
Hello.This brings back so many memories.I was the Radio Officer on the Benveg from Aug 1958 to September 1959. I was just 18 years old and had completed my training on the Benlomond. Joined in Singapore and left there a very different person; poured on the train by Capt George Nicol et al to PS via KL.Have been in love with Ben Line ever since.Capt Robb later Super was the first Master

wully farquhar
7th January 2007, 13:40
Roddy Munro
She sank before my time in the Ben Line, but looking at EBenarty's photo she seemed to have been blessed with as many derricks as her larger sisters!!! Not a pretty sight.
Mercy Roddy did you not think that was a pretty site on a Benboat when it came to sailing day in Singapore or Hong Kong.!!!!!!!!!Mmmmmmmmmm:sweat:

EBenarty
7th January 2007, 20:53
I agree with you Wully a lovely sight !!! You dinna see that these days !!
Capt. Bob McPhee often used to put the deck crew in 2 teams and have a race as to who lowered the derricks first (Dangerous at times ) - port or starboard side. Always with a reward of a couple o' bottles of rum and a couple o'cases o' beer and he would be out cheering us on !!

Roddy Munro
7th January 2007, 22:16
Aye Wully. Singapore and Hong Kong in a drunken haze bad enough.But lower and top in every village six hours apart up the Japan coast.was something else.That wire running through your hands over the drum end,was a pain in the A---.Anyway i hope you and all the rest that thread the Ben Line on SN have a great 2007

wully farquhar
8th January 2007, 15:54
I agree with you Wully a lovely sight !!! You dinna see that these days !!
Capt. Bob McPhee often used to put the deck crew in 2 teams and have a race as to who lowered the derricks first (Dangerous at times ) - port or starboard side. Always with a reward of a couple o' bottles of rum and a couple o'cases o' beer and he would be out cheering us on !!
Aye benarty,That would be just the kind o' carry on Bob would like,a kinda dangerous crack right enough,as Roddy said the drum ends would be smoking!!!!

roymuir
8th January 2007, 20:54
Remember how hot the bullwires used to get once they had been laying in the hot sun all day on a black, steel deck? No wonder the square-ups were so quick!!
Made 'em run nice and smooth on the drum end though.