British Avon / breaking her back.

connie
9th December 2006, 23:31
hi any one remember the british avon breaking her back, whilst crossing the north sea, this ship was truly jinxed, as she also suffered from a serious engine room fire, i joined her in sweden under going drydock repairs, for broking back.
regards connie.

willhastie
12th December 2006, 08:40
yup i was on her in the gulf when she caught fire.june 74,we were gulf trading and had just discharged a full cargo of motorspirit in dhubai and were on our way to the northern gulf,iran i think,i was down in the port accomadation when the alarms went i was on my way to the bridge when the engineroom door flew open and an engineer came out followed by flames,we dogged the door and he muttered that it was bad. arriving on the bridge the ol man pointed and said get the port lifeboat away and standoff amidships i was more than happy to comply as the deck between the bridge and funnel was scorching.the co2 drenching had been activated which only helped untile it reached the bottom plates the the fire was away again,we loaded both lifeboats with everyone apart from 7 bods who stayed fighting the fire.we were in the boats about 4 hours then picked up by a japanese tug,and later that day were tranferred to british pride,we were given a bottle of four bells each and spent 2 nights onboard in the bar from what i remember, as we were gulf trading i had taken a razor to my scone right down to the wood and when i knocked on my parents front door my dear mum said yes how can i help you,mum its me william,my girlfriend at the time took one look and said nothankyou go away,her loss eh

RonF
13th December 2006, 00:43
hi any one remember the british avon breaking her back

I remember this, although I wasn't on board. My friend John Richardson was a DC on her, and he told me of a 1.5 foot gash across the deck. It was around '76-'77, IIRC.

I always thought it had happened in the Bay of Biscay, but I may be mistaken, as I'd just come through a Force 10 there on the Border Shepherd (must post some photos of that, now that I think about it)

Ron

junkcatcher
17th January 2007, 09:46
I remember it also I was on the the Kennet headed from Isle Grain for Europort at the time --- more than any other river boat Kennet was her identical twin in every built to the same spec in the same yard.

junkcatcher
17th January 2007, 11:21
Re engine fire on Avon, I recall it was caused by a pipe on the hydraulic power pack that was located on a stairway landing from the crew deck which was just above the exhaust manifold fracturing and spraying SHF48 hydraulic oil on to the turbo blower.

I had the job of modifying the Kennet to fit steel sheet spray deflectors round the power pack to prevent it happening to the Kennet, but had the job pinched off me by the 2E who liked to do a bit of arc welding. In the process he managed to start a fire in the save-all which hadn't been cleared of oil, no bother a single second blast of co2 put it out.

coley70
25th April 2007, 06:45
I sailed on the British Forth when Alastair Wilson was C/E. He was C/E on the Avon when the fire occured. He didn't speak about it much.

BigNick
2nd May 2007, 12:34
Hi,

I sailed on the Avon (and the Forth) around 1980 ish. Both the incidents were part of her backstory by then. The hyrdaulic power pack had an extra bulkhead around it i think, (backfitted to sister ships as well) so if it ever failed in the same way it would spray hydraulic oil over hot exhaust manifolds!

The extra doubling plates around the tank hatch where the split had been repaired were there for all to see.

Happy days......

Nick

town78
12th August 2008, 12:48
hi any one remember the british avon breaking her back, whilst crossing the north sea, this ship was truly jinxed, as she also suffered from a serious engine room fire, i joined her in sweden under going drydock repairs, for broking back.
regards connie.
hi, i was on board when she broke i believe we joined in coppenhagen and wre on way to i.o g. when it happened, you could put your hand in the gash which was quite stupid, we turned round and went to dry dock in gothenburg for about 6 weeks wilst it got repaired. ray

Bob Fleming
9th September 2008, 20:32
I was 3/O on there, happened 29 Dec 1976 in the evening (or 30th). Seriously scarey when we saw the two bits of ship moving in different directions!

Bob.