gas enterprise/rescuing vietnamese refugees

connie
9th December 2006, 23:41
hello me again, any body serving on gas enterprise, in 83, remember rescuing vietnamese refugees in the south china sea and landing them in singapore ? as i did 2 trips on her cant remember whether the captain was h brown, or mb stephenson, would love photos of the incident, as mine didnt turn out, also do you remember the nature club nights? lol.

James_C
10th December 2006, 00:22
Welcome aboard Connie. Wasn't on the mighty Gas Enterprise I'm afriad, incidentally she's still sailing, saw her in Fujairah in July (unreal eh?).
See you were 2nd Cook, you remember John Noah or Dave Fothergill?

gdynia
10th December 2006, 19:02
Connie
I did 9 months on Gas Enterprise around this time cannot remember that taking place. Master was Mike Salmon then Eric Brown

connie
10th December 2006, 21:22
Welcome aboard Connie. Wasn't on the mighty Gas Enterprise I'm afriad, incidentally she's still sailing, saw her in Fujairah in July (unreal eh?).
See you were 2nd Cook, you remember John Noah or Dave Fothergill?

hi james, thanks for your reply, alas i dont recall the 2 people you mention,was john noah a cat, officer? i can hardly remember my own name these days, lol.
accordig to the miramar ship index, gas enterprise was called the darwin in 92, and is now known as the andean gas and if memory serves me right, bp purchased her from the french, her date of completion been the 12th 1977 my abiding memory of her was the galley was infested with cockroaches.
take it you are still at sea,
pleasent sailig, regards connie.(Thumb)

connie
10th December 2006, 21:40
Connie
I did 9 months on Gas Enterprise around this time cannot remember that taking place. Master was Mike Salmon then Eric Brown

hi gdynia,
thanks for your reply, have looked in my discharge book, and noted i was on the enterprise 26/6/84to 7/11/84 and m salmon was indeed the master.
i also served on her 26/6/83 to 29/10/83 under h .brown (as rubber stamped in my discharge book) perhaps our paths may have crossed? as i am guessing you were a bp officer. i think the catering officers first name was a scots man called bert who enjoyed carravaning. were the fire alarms still as sensitive when you served? as apart from the cockroaches in the galley my other memory is having to get up at all hours because of them dammed alarms! also the ch. mate may have been called nigel as i remember him and i washing the filthy clothes of the refugees, all of this i should think would be written up in the ships log.
fairly certain this happened on my ist enterprise trip.
kind regards connie.[=P] .

Clare T
30th July 2010, 22:13
4 years late - it was my ex husband Eric Thorp who was master when the boat people were picked up. Lots of hassle - no one wanted them! He received a plate from UNHCR in recognition of the rescue.

gdynia
31st July 2010, 08:01
Hi Clare i was with you and Eric onboard her can you remember what your son did on chart table

connie
1st August 2010, 17:48
hi clare, thanks for that, remember your x shaking hands with me and thanking me for what id done for the refugees,probably woulnt be picked up now in these money is more important then people days. so due respect to him for picking them up. regards con.

Satanic Mechanic
1st August 2010, 17:56
hi clare, thanks for that, remember your x shaking hands with me and thanking me for what id done for the refugees,probably woulnt be picked up now in these money is more important then people days. so due respect to him for picking them up. regards con.

To be fair Connie I think I can say with 100% certainty that no bp vessel would go by those in need.

scurvydog
2nd August 2010, 12:05
Did this occur twice, landed refugees in Oita, Japan in May '90 from the Enterprise. Eric Thorp was the old man on this occasion.

Vital Sparks
2nd August 2010, 13:27
I remember seeing a company memo which explained that refugees picked up at sea tended to have no passports and so could not simply be offloaded at the next port but may have remain on board for months until a country was found which was prepared to offer them asylum.

Instructions were to provide food, water fuel, provisions and navigation advice, allow engineers to fix machinery etc but not to take persons on board unless they were in imminent danger.

Clare T
2nd August 2010, 22:02
Maybe it happened twice then. Eric was there in 1990 I am guessing. 20 years ago! can't remember that long ago! I just remember no one wanted the refugees. Clare

Clare T
2nd August 2010, 22:04
Hi Clare i was with you and Eric onboard her can you remember what your son did on chart table

No can't remember! Enlighten me! He is 25 now!!

gdynia
3rd August 2010, 09:29
Connie i sailed with you one one of the River Boats i think