RMAS Salmaster/Ocean Endeavour

Bob S
9th November 2004, 14:06
RMAS SALMASTER (A186) seen on the Thames in May 1987 not long after commissioning, now operates for Guardline Geosurveys based at Great Yarmouth as the OCEAN ENDEAVOUR (86/1967) where she was photographed during October 2004.

Hendo!
19th November 2005, 15:53
I was a Motorman on board RMAS Salmaster during the mid to late 90s when she was based in Greenock on the Clyde. I like the Ocean Endeavour colour scheme.

chris67
30th November 2008, 19:39
RMAS SALMASTER (A186) seen on the Thames in May 1987 not long after commissioning, now operates for Guardline Geosurveys based at Great Yarmouth as the OCEAN ENDEAVOUR (86/1967) where she was photographed during October 2004.

i was on that trip in may 1987 and am now on salmoor 2008

Waighty
12th January 2011, 11:35
I spent two happy years on the Salmaster from new (Hall Russel at Aberdeen) and thoroughly enjoyed all her tasking including a very pleasant summer in the Northern approaches steaming past the assembled R Class tugs (all three of them) while we were involved in a JMC exercise.

For sheer shiphandling enjoyment though the Kin class were the best - Uplifter and Kinloss were my two.

Landour
22nd March 2011, 13:52
Now doing seismic operations here in the Falklands for the last month or so.

Waighty
23rd March 2011, 12:47
Now doing seismic operations here in the Falklands for the last month or so.

Yes, I had a photo of her sent from Falklands by an ex colleague who lives there at present. Before that she was working off the north Aussie coast eventually ending up in Western Australia where the maritime unions got her thrown out of Aus because of asbestos! I was told this by a very reliable source.

Slowone
17th May 2011, 23:22
Had the pleasure of working on SALMASTER as 2nd for 2 years working with Willie Miller, my last trip was as Chief. A run up around southern Iceland getting hit by one massive storm after another was enough to convince me an office job was looking good. Always thought she sounded like an old sailing ship when at sea rolling around all creaking bangs and clonks - how the hell did we ever sleep?
I replaced Big Bev on the ship who had been on her from new, anyone recall him?

Waighty
24th May 2011, 20:27
Had the pleasure of working on SALMASTER as 2nd for 2 years working with Willie Miller, my last trip was as Chief. A run up around southern Iceland getting hit by one massive storm after another was enough to convince me an office job was looking good. Always thought she sounded like an old sailing ship when at sea rolling around all creaking bangs and clonks - how the hell did we ever sleep?
I replaced Big Bev on the ship who had been on her from new, anyone recall him?

I remember Big Bev very well, he took Salmaster from new with Brian Sherriff as Chief. You might know better than me but I believe he took medical retirement?

roofaerosyth
19th July 2011, 18:40
(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)I remember Big Bev very well, he took Salmaster from new with Brian Sherriff as Chief. You might know better than me but I believe he took medical retirement?

dont know about that but he worked for rms for a wee while until him and the gaffer started to butt heads too often

Waighty
20th July 2011, 12:50
(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)(Smoke)

dont know about that but he worked for rms for a wee while until him and the gaffer started to butt heads too often

Howdy Roo,

As you say, long time no see. Hope you're keeping well. I'm retired now after a couple of job changes after RMAS. Was in Limekilns a few weeks back seeing wife's friends - the new crane at Rosyth looks big! Bet the place is very different these days.

Is RMS still going? Is Willie Milne still there?

Cheers,

Mike (Thumb)

roofaerosyth
20th July 2011, 18:07
Howdy Roo,

As you say, long time no see. Hope you're keeping well. I'm retired now after a couple of job changes after RMAS. Was in Limekilns a few weeks back seeing wife's friends - the new crane at Rosyth looks big! Bet the place is very different these days.

Is RMS still going? Is Willie Milne still there?

Cheers,

Mike (Thumb)

the yard has changed(for the worse).rms is still going but we just lost the contract to briggs.our last day will be 7th of october.bit of a dissapointment but what can you do.its all about the cheapest bidder these days.ive been in the yard since 1987 so it will be a bit strange trying to find work elsewhere.willie is still the operations manager(drives a desk).but still drives tugs when needed and still pilots.bob sutherland is skipper of elkhound with deckies vince & davie mcilravie.deerhound is skippered by raymond pratt with deckies me and willies son.and stan is still the high heed yin.and yes, the new crane is a tad HUGE. p.s. my dad, (willie mitchell ) , who is looking over my shoulder at the moment says hi.

Sherriff
14th July 2012, 15:42
I have sailed on both Salmaster and Salmoor.
Was a deckhand the diver in Rosyth.
Does anyone know what happened to the old Goosy Goosander and the where abouts of Malky(darky)Thurlow ro Willie Milne.
The missus come across this site by accident, have read some threads that brought back some great meories.
Sherriff(jnr)

roofaerosyth
16th July 2012, 00:11
hi sherriff.long time no see.goosy is now called utec surveyor (or something like that).im sure there are pics of her in the special purpose vessels gallery.if not there they are in the rmas gallery.cheers.ROO

Sherriff
19th November 2013, 18:22
[Hey Roo,
What you up to thease days, you still on the boats or got a real job lol. In rosyth at mo, will be here until 25th Nov 2013 then back to Oz before going to work in Africa. maybe catch up, npsherriff@live.com i check this most days lol.

Cheers the noo.
Sherriff!

roofaerosyth
8th December 2013, 17:28
just noticed your message sherriff so i guess your back in oz by now.